iRacing | NASCAR AI Now Available

M D Gourley

1000RPM
Premium
Sep 17, 2015
On a side note.
As great as the AI are and only gonna improve with time....it kinda boggles my mind why anyone would even consider getting into iracing just for offline ai racing, soley due to the cost?
Hell, if ya got money to burn....go for it ..it's good!
Personally for the rest grab AMS or RF2 for $20 lol
Agree it would be costly to get into iRacing just for the AI....I personally got back into iRacing after a 2 year layoff just waiting for the implementation of AI,....although I have 40% of the content already so I am a captured audience with money invested :)...well worth it to me personally, especially the Oval introduction.

RCHeliguy

2000RPM
Premium
Jan 19, 2019
It is interesting how this is impacting iRacing users.

I have a friend who has been into iRacing for YEARS.... but he has primarily focused on Ovals.

He's been playing with the Porsche 911 GT3 against the AI and has started too drive road races for the first time in ages. He got a Class C license in Road racing that has been collecting dust.

So I think the AI will be useful as a gateway for iRacing users to branch out after getting comfortable with an area that is outside their normal area of racing.

M D Gourley

1000RPM
Premium
Sep 17, 2015
So I think the AI will be useful as a gateway for iRacing users to branch out after getting comfortable with an area that is outside their normal area of racing.
Absolutely agree....really like the Oval racing, but it is very intimidating, so practicing with the AI will help get some confidence, ...hopefully, lol...plus having AI I can practice as much as I want without having to wait.

billymitchell

100RPM
Nov 22, 2010
+ Car/wheel feedback - it's certainly much better than in 2012, the cars do feel connected to the track. However, I couldn't find a good balance. The FFB seems to need to be quite heavy to get any real sense of track feel and car weight (much heavier than a real MX5 Cup car), kerb feel is generally good if a bit aggressive as a result of having to run the wheel weight on the high side.
I agree, which is why I use irFFB, a mod to the default feedback in iRacing.

I prefer open-wheel cars but found the strong feedback (to simulate downforce) was too exaggerated with my Fanatec. With irFFB, I find the aero to influence the feedback less, and the communication of traction to be more clear. The members page is here.

Certainly worth a try if you don't like the feedback provided by default iRacing config.

Reactions: MarkR

M D Gourley

1000RPM
Premium
Sep 17, 2015
Well...after about 200 laps of Talladega practicing with the AI, which are absolutely fantastic...I thought I would register for a real 'Human' race on Talladega and as luck would have it there was a race in 20 mins, so I registered.
Did the Practice, Qualify and everything seems just like racing in the AI function, hit Race and...Holy cow:confused::confused:...64 were registered on the Gird...ok,ok, don't panic my Qualifying was rubbish, will be placed at the back, but no...was placed 12 on the Grid...Holy shite :confused::roflmao:.
Race started in the familiar way just like in the AI function, feeling comfortable, 'Go Green' and we off and a group of approx 12 cars up front and I was at the back of that 12, not sure where all the other cars were, but stayed focused on 'Holding my Line':thumbsup::thumbsup:....then a wreck started up the front, not caused by me:mad:...I had not even done half a lap of Talladega, this was not like practicing with the AI...and got caught up with no where to go and was wrecked.
I said through my Mic, jokingly:laugh:....'Should have stayed with the AI'.... and a response came back with a slightly abusive nature...LOL:roflmao::roflmao:....although I can only assume the response was directed at me as I was the only one speaking.
After 2 years away from iRacing and only 're-subbing' because of the implementation of the AI, it's sad to see things are still the same when racing real Humans....:roflmao:lol

Practicing with the AI did give me the confidence to get into a real race with their Humans counterparts.

However, on another note, looking at all the 'Entries List' before the Race, I did notice my 'Ping' was 275 and all the others were around the 30 - 45 mark, and thought this could be a problem if I did get into a pack of cars, 3 wide with cars all around me....so in the future I am not to worried about racing real humans anyway as the AI Road and Oval racing function is absolutely awesome and I can get my 'Nascar Fix' easily doing it this way....with no Ping problems, No abuse and only myself to blame when there is a wreck.:)

Last edited:

Zolazem

1RPM
Jan 16, 2020
When you buy a track in iRacing you can use this track without a subscription for the rest of your life? And with a subscription you can use all the tracks in the game during the subscription for only the costs of the subscription. I’m I right?

M D Gourley

1000RPM
Premium
Sep 17, 2015
When you buy a track in iRacing you can use this track without a subscription for the rest of your life?
No...you need to have a subscription to be able to use the Track you have just purchased...and if your subscription runs out and you do not re-new that subscription you can not use that track because you can not log in until you re-new your sub....when you do re-new your subscription after a numbers of years away like I did, all the tracks and cars you have already purchased will be available to use again.
Hopefully that made sense...correct me if I am wrong.

And with a subscription you can use all the tracks in the game during the subscription for only the costs of the subscription. I’m I right?
You can use all the tracks you have purchased during your subscription time period....you can not use any track or car that you have not purchased during your subscription period.

Brice.S.

250RPM
Sep 12, 2014
@M D Gourley yeah, oval racing (in low splits) are more about avoiding wrecks than beeing fast or consistent... On higher splits it's different....
But your story is all about superspeedways, and that's why I usually don't do one, that's why I was a bit disapointed seeing AI'ovals starts with superspeedways..
@++

Dec 29, 2006
When you buy a track in iRacing you can use this track without a subscription for the rest of your life?
nope, end of subscription = end of use
And with a subscription you can use all the tracks in the game during the subscription for only the costs of the subscription. ...
nope, only the ones you paid for
plus: you never own them outright, you only rent a right to use them, a bit like a book in a library, so if iRacing goes bankrupt tomorrow, everything is gone for good.

MarkR

500RPM
Premium
Feb 8, 2017
@M D Gourley I enjoy the way you write about your experiences, you've made me want to give the NASCAR AI a go. It's got to be better than NASCAR Heat 4 game that I tried on a free play on Xbox, the framerate was awful.

Sadly the abusive comments are what I remember most from iRacing when incidents happen, especially with the oval racing. These days if I race with other humans it's with the few friends I know and trust to race door to door and behave themselves (and all in Europe because as you rightly say ping plays its part in issues). We still have the odd incident - it's racing - but the friendships are good enough that we can laugh it off. The arguments and tantrums I've seen, when there is literally nothing at all at stake, with human online racing would have any real-world track user ejected and banned from the circuit.

If you can find a good group of racers - the Automobilista regulars here on RD were very welcoming - it can be good fun. As soon as anyone starts taking things too seriously, in my opinion, it's time to run away! Good close racing with decent AI is more satisfying more of the time, let's hope the AI keeps getting better and better!

M D Gourley

1000RPM
Premium
Sep 17, 2015
I enjoy the way you write about your experiences, you've made me want to give the NASCAR AI a go. It's got to be better than NASCAR Heat 4 game that I tried on a free play on Xbox, the framerate was awful.

Sadly the abusive comments are what I remember most from iRacing when incidents happen, especially with the oval racing. These days if I race with other humans it's with the few friends I know and trust to race door to door and behave themselves (and all in Europe because as you rightly say ping plays its part in issues). We still have the odd incident - it's racing - but the friendships are good enough that we can laugh it off. The arguments and tantrums I've seen, when there is literally nothing at all at stake, with human online racing would have any real-world track user ejected and banned from the circuit.

If you can find a good group of racers - the Automobilista regulars here on RD were very welcoming - it can be good fun. As soon as anyone starts taking things too seriously, in my opinion, it's time to run away! Good close racing with decent AI is more satisfying more of the time, let's hope the AI keeps getting better and better!
Thank you for the kind words....I had NASCAR Heat as well and while it provided me with my Nascar fix it is not as good as iRacings AI Oval....however, I am just a noob and do not know the finer strategies of Nascar Oval racing and having just read the iRacing forum about the Nascar AI, the more experienced racers added their input / suggestions to make it better.....but for me personally as the Nascar AI stands at the moment...AWESOME :thumbsup:
AMS2 is just around the corner....totally looking forward to that day :inlove:

Reactions: MarkR

M D Gourley

1000RPM
Premium
Sep 17, 2015
Finally after 250 laps and approx 25 restarts I got a Podium finish...LOL :laugh::thumbsup:...not a win only 3rd, but I'll take that, Phew....Fantastic iRacing AI and an intense overall experience just to get there, but man o' man when you finally get there what a thrill :inlove:. (total noob here, easily excited :rolleyes: )
Listening to your 'Spotter' I found to be crucial....3 wide in the centre, Hold your line'...lol and although I mainly set 10 Lap races it was only till about the 7 lap I managed to work my way forward from last place by drafting other cars to the main leading pack and try to get through to the front.
A few screenshots of the race.
0 iRACING TALLADEGA 3rd PODIUM finish copy.jpg
3 iRACING TALLADEGA 3rd PODIUM copy.jpg

A nice sunny morning at Talladega :inlove:
1 iRACING TALLADEGA 3rd PODIUM copy.jpg

snyperal

500RPM
Mar 26, 2015
Finally after 250 laps and approx 25 restarts I got a Podium finish...LOL :laugh::thumbsup:...not a win only 3rd, but I'll take that, Phew....Fantastic iRacing AI and an intense overall experience just to get there, but man o' man when you finally get there what a thrill :inlove:. (total noob here, easily excited :rolleyes: )
Listening to your 'Spotter' I found to be crucial....3 wide in the centre, Hold your line'...lol and although I mainly set 10 Lap races it was only till about the 7 lap I managed to work my way forward from last place by drafting other cars to the main leading pack and try to get through to the front.
A few screenshots of the race.
View attachment 348368View attachment 348369

A nice sunny morning at Talladega :inlove:
View attachment 348370
Have you got the sweary spotter? That makes things a little fun too. Especially when it goes wrong.

The Iron Wolf

100RPM
Apr 12, 2016
Great to see AI coming to iRacing, this with the addition of day/night cycle seems really promising. I hope it will eventually be possible to form AI grids with skins from real series by using TradingPaints.

Dec 29, 2006
just go to tradingpaints and download the full sets, there is a "how to" somewhere on the iRacing AI-forum. done it the week the Porsche came out and worked nicely. forgot how it works in the meantime, though, haven't touched the AI since that first week, sorry.