iRacing | NASCAR AI Now Available

Brendan24

10RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2011
Having a great time racing with the iRacing AI. I was really excited for the ovals but the first thing I did with the Cup cars was take them straight to Watkins Glen, and had a lot of fun! Still haven't even tried Daytona/Talladega, should probably get around to that. I'm looking forward more to the 1.5 mile and short tracks that take a little more finesse and driving input though if im honest

Reactions: M D Gourley

M D Gourley

1000RPM
Premium
Sep 17, 2015
'Boogity, Boogity, Boogity,...this is Talladega, let's go racing boys'.
Loving the AI Oval racing :inlove:, prefer Talladega :thumbsup: as it's an easier track from my point of view to race on, especially with the track road marking which I found makes it easier to keep your line (total noob here) :O_o::rolleyes:...lol
Once I got the AI settings right i was able to keep up and get into the front group of cars by drafting each car when a gap became available...and it was intense,...it's a totally different mind set from racing Road with maybe a couple of cars around me to racing oval with having other cars 'all' around me,...any slightist variation on my line could / would result in crashing.
Screenshots from a 15 lap race around Talladega...got to Lap 13 before I made a mistake...lol
1 iRACING TALADEGA copy.jpg

2 iRACING TALADEGA copy.jpg
3 iRACING TALADEGA copy.jpg
4 iRACING TALADEGA copy.jpg

Dang...I did it again...lol
5 iRACING TALADEGA crash copy.jpg

Last edited:

traind

250RPM
Apr 26, 2009
Didn't test it yet (atm, i'm focusing on acc), and, to be honest, not really interested by superspeedways, but for sure I'll give it a go. it's very surprising to see iracing starting oval with cup series cars, I mean, these cars are really difficult, i was sure they'would start with trucks...
i have to precise that I run nascar class A fix (so these cars), but only for participation credit (i'm a road guy, so i run oval without any train or ambition, don't care beeing last, i just want my 7$/season^^), but it should be interesting to see how many people it (the AI) could convinced to run the serie (as when they start AI with the porsche cup, suddently the participation increased a lot)
@++
On the road course side I had the sense all the AI choices are also tire model v7 cars, probably to avoid having to redo things after switching to v7.

Anomalistics

100RPM
Apr 9, 2015
- AI Driver behavior for a variety of activities has been upgraded, including:
- - Throttle and brake application
- - Pace lap driving and spacing
- - Low speed driving
- - Deceleration actions
- - Drafting tactics
- - Two-wide racing
- - Learning individual track corners
- - Racing in traffic
- - Opponent car location prediction
- - Caution flag flying
- - Passing while pitting

more than rF2 in 7 years.
I think I will renew my membership, I don't know, ACC got me for the moment
Only a matter of time before iRacing takes over

Reactions: Ricardo Rey

John Addison

250RPM
Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Yeh watching NASCAR can be a challenge. Lost my interest in it a long time ago. But climb into the sim and run at Daytona or Dega.......holly crap! Hang on! Hope they get the Indy cars added to AI. Now that will be something.

RCHeliguy

2000RPM
Premium
Jan 19, 2019
Indeed. Oval racing is much harder than it looks. It's like baseball: it looks easy, until you try it for yourself.
Not sure that analogy holds up well. I never thought baseball was easy, just very boring, and when I played it I also found it very boring. Golf requires great skill, but is boring as hell unless you are with a bunch of guys socializing using golf as a backdrop.

However, I didn't find driving oval racing boring. There was plenty going on all the time. In fact it feels busier than road racing.

Reactions: M D Gourley

F_B

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 27, 2013
Why is it a mess? I'm curious :)
I'll add a video later.
They’re quite slow at some corners or crash, especially throughout turn 1 to 5. Also they have problems in the last turn, the fast right hander. Just tried it with the Porsche at this track, but I imagine that slower cars (Mazda & Skippy) do not have these problems.

Edit:

Here's the Porsche / Road Atlanta video

Last edited:

Anomalistics

100RPM
Apr 9, 2015
I'll add a video later.
They’re quite slow at some corners or crash, especially throughout turn 1 to 5. Also they have problems in the last turn, the fast right hander. Just tried it with the Porsche at this track, but I imagine that slower cars (Mazda & Skippy) do not have these problems.
Even if the skill percentage is set high? Shame all cars haven't been optimized for the tracks if this is the case..

Brice.S.

250RPM
Sep 12, 2014
I'll add a video later.
Did you try to work on the roster ? It could really helps you to have your dream'race ;)

delpinsky

250RPM
May 23, 2009
Without the monthly subscription I would probably hop in the iRacing bandwagon, considering the offline racing with AI. Good to see iRacing improving with damage model and AI!

Kurupt CDN

DirtT Tuned Motorsports
Jul 18, 2012
Not sure that analogy holds up well. I never thought baseball was easy, just very boring, and when I played it I also found it very boring. Golf requires great skill, but is boring as hell unless you are with a bunch of guys socializing using golf as a backdrop.

However, I didn't find driving oval racing boring. There was plenty going on all the time. In fact it feels busier than road racing.
Just for clarification (baseball player here)
Are we talking softball with a bunch of drunk half ass talented co eds or baseball?
There's a big difference in someone under handing a beach ball to you than stepping into the box with someone hurling a rock at 90 mph + backed by 8 other talented guys throwing just as hard :)

On a side note.
As great as the AI are and only gonna improve with time....it kinda boggles my mind why anyone would even consider getting into iracing just for offline ai racing, soley due to the cost?
Hell, if ya got money to burn....go for it ..it's good!
Personally for the rest grab AMS or RF2 for $20 lol

If you use iracing for mp the AI is just an added bonus to the service! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brice.S.

MarkR

500RPM
Premium
Feb 8, 2017
I hadn't played iRacing since 2014 but a super cheap £6 for 3 months offer popped up and I decided to dip my toe back in. Just my personal view but back in 2012-14 I always felt the cars lacked any real sense of feeling or connection and I largely agreed with the iceRacing nickname it often had back then. I had low expectations and I'm glad to say iRacing has changed a lot for the better!

I realise this thread is about the NASCAR AI and I would have tried them but I wasn't convinced enough to pay for the cars and circuits just yet!

I jumped in and gave the road AI a go today too - just straight into the game no messing with setups etc - just to see how the Mazda Mx5 Cup felt to drive and how the AI behave at Lime Rock and in Oculus VR.

I agree with @F_B (and thanks for the Porsche video to see when it isn't so good), the AI Mazda MX5 cup cars offer some great racing fun, I set them at 70-90% and started from the back to see how they were to race. I didn't select the 'avoid me' option as they seem to race fairly to me and have a good awareness of the player car.

My impressions:

++ For pure dry track racing vs the AI this is a good experience. I'd certainly consider paying for more cars and tracks if they were up to that standard.

+++ the selectable range eg 70-90% is a good innovation, allowing the user to set the field spread rather than just a set ability/aggression.

+++ Oculus performance is excellent, certainly as good as anything else out there at the moment.

+ Car/wheel feedback - it's certainly much better than in 2012, the cars do feel connected to the track. However, I couldn't find a good balance. The FFB seems to need to be quite heavy to get any real sense of track feel and car weight (much heavier than a real MX5 Cup car), kerb feel is generally good if a bit aggressive as a result of having to run the wheel weight on the high side.

+ Track feel - again it's much improved and it was easy to react to what the car was doing 'underneath' me. Comparing with ACC the track was pretty lifeless.

-/+ Does it feel like driving a real MX5 Cup car? I started my real track time in various MX5's and honestly, to me, iRacing still doesn't feel much like the real MX5, the car still seems to float over the surface too much rather than have real contact with the tarmac and a feeling of grip in the corners. On the other hand, as a racing game car, it is certainly fun enough to drive so I won't knock it too much.

The addition of AI has regained my interest and if I see more positive news about the track AI I might well be tempted to give it another go and buy some content. I've tried online racing in iRacing and in many other leagues and groups and it has always ended in a lot of silly bickering over nothing and petty biases so I'm reluctant to get involved these days.

For now, I'll stick with ACC and look forward to giving AMS2 a go but I will almost certainly give iRacing with AI another go as it develops.

RCHeliguy

2000RPM
Premium
Jan 19, 2019
Just for clarification (baseball player here)
Are we talking softball with a bunch of drunk half ass talented co eds or baseball?
There's a big difference in someone under handing a beach ball to you than stepping into the box with someone hurling a rock at 90 mph + backed by 8 other talented guys throwing just as hard :)
Does it matter? How often are you actually at bat? Remember I never said easy, just boring. You are sitting on the bench a lot longer than you are at bat, and you are standing in the outfield/infield where ever waiting around for large periods of time. Maybe if you are at a base and there are men on base there is a bit more to deal with, but otherwise boring as hell at least to me.

The biggest challenge is staying awake and sharp during the huge pauses between action.

Kurupt CDN

DirtT Tuned Motorsports
Jul 18, 2012
Does it matter? How often are you actually at bat? Remember I never said easy, just boring. You are sitting on the bench a lot longer than you are at bat, and you are standing in the outfield/infield where ever waiting around for large periods of time. Maybe if you are at a base and there are men on base there is a bit more to deal with, but otherwise boring as hell at least to me.

The biggest challenge is staying awake and sharp during the huge pauses between action.
Yes lol
As like racing and any other sport in general....the experience varies based on the talent around you :)

Not defending it and everyone is allowed their own opinions, for none baseball fans I understand it seems boring...for those that understand the game within the game...there is alot going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeyePete

RCHeliguy

2000RPM
Premium
Jan 19, 2019
FWIW, I don't watch any sports at all. I much prefer to participate rather than be a spectator. I'm just not wired that way. My Dad was all state football, basketball and baseball in HS and I think it broke his heart when I got into bicycle racing instead. That said, I've never watched a televised bicycle race either. Boring as hell to watch.

Reactions: Kurupt CDN