iRacing: Lucas Oil Off Road Trucks Talk 'n' Drive

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Now for something completely different...

If I was to say that taking out the recently released Lucas Oil Off Road Truck Racing content that dropped for iRacing recently was outside of my comfort zone, I would absolutely not be exaggerating. These beasts are an incredible form of motorsport, and trying to tame something I know little about, while performing talk 'n' drive duties has certainly been an attention grabbing experience for me!

iRacing: New update and content released - read more HERE.

Available in iRacing as additional DLC content, the Lucas Oil Off Road Truck Racing vehicles come in Pro 2 and Pro 4 class versions, and are available to use on two new circuits added to the game at the same time as this new category of racing to the iRacing platform.

In this video we give it a go and offer some early first impressions of this exciting new category to be added to iRacing.com.

I'm European, so please don't expect much of a driving masterclass with this one... !

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Pro 2 trucks are absolute beasts under the hood, producing up to 900 horsepower. They?ve also got the same suspension travel as their slightly bigger brother. But with only two driven wheels and a slightly smaller wheelbase, they?re not just a perfect training ground for drivers who are looking to move up to Pro 4 someday, they?re a long-term home for some of the biggest names in the sport. All that adds up to some intense competition on race weekends, competition that you?ll get to experience firsthand with iRacing!

A lot of fun :thumbsup: ..nice review Paul :thumbsup:

Man this looks so fun! Too bad i cant do iRacing. I hope AMS2 gets this. :)

Looks very clean and smooth though. Should be more shaking and rumbling, and when you get air it all get smooth and then BADUNK! Tires hit the track and the insanity continues. Maybe Paul pulled down some shaking sliders because it looks very smooth and calm.

Last edited:
Man this looks so fun! Too bad i cant do iRacing. I hope AMS2 gets this. :)

Looks very clean and smooth though. Should be more shaking and rumbling, and when you get air it all get smooth and then BADUNK! Tires hit the track and the insanity continues. Maybe Paul pulled down some shaking sliders because it looks very smooth and calm.
considering how soft the suspension and tires are on those trucks i would expect it to be that way.

lol these trucks are horrid. glad I got to try on someone else's account.

1. something is seriously wrong with the shocks. in real life, when these trucks land, they look almost glued to the ground. like they don't rebound at all. in iracing they pogo back upwards so violently it's not uncommon to see all four tires leave the ground. you can't hit a simple set of whoops without the truck basically hydraulically into the air which, i don't know about you, but I'd expect more from a $450,000 purpose built off road buggy. anything other than elongated jumps at high speeds, they're death traps, which is just silly considering these things are driven through sketchy mexican backroads at 80mph IRL.

2. if you put excessive load on the front tires, they gain infinite grip for a split second. so basically if you land or compress the front springs at all and the steering wheel isn't within 1-2 degrees of center, the front end will hook and send you flying off into the fence.

So basically, off of each jump, the truck will either violently pogo upon landing, or hook in a random direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. something is seriously wrong with the shocks.
()
2. if you put excessive load on the front tires, they gain infinite grip for a split second.
Maybe its something deeper in the iRacing code.
Back in iRacings forerunner NR2003 there was an unsolved bug that catapulted the cars up again and again - probably if the grip value calculated in the game engine became too weird.
It was called the kangaroo bug.:roflmao:
Game is NR2003. This game was subject to a weird glitch where cars would just...bounce.
It looks like the car in the gif was subject to this glitch in the rear wheels only.
https://funnyjunk.com/You+spin+my+head+right+round/hdgifs/5599423/71
https://2eu.funnyjunk.com/comments/...+weird+_28eea9edf05084c637215e5ba561fb5d.webm

kangaroo.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 211 14.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years