• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

iRacing | Loads Of New Content And A Massive Update

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Premium
Oct 10, 2011
What do you mean by an "in-situ" display that's not available from ACC?
Ist a bit difficult to explain but the "in-situ" notion as it is normally understood at least tries to grasp it.
Its a feeling (based on the visual) of being on a real 3D track both when you use cockpit view and when you afterwards check it out in replay.
Im not being smart here but I have NEVER had that feeling in either ACC, rF2, pCars2 or recently AMS2.
I get the feeling in Raceroom too but to a much lesser degree in cockpit than in replay seen from trackside.
The strange thing is that eventhough the GTP mod for NR2003 is only DX8 then there is slightly something of this "in-situ" spell dust in in this sim too.
But absolutely nothing in the other racing games I mentioned.
At least ACC and pCars2 looks fine but absolutely not like being on a real track or into a real cockpit.

ByTheWay: Coincidently iRacing is based on the NR2003 game engine - years back.;).
But my guess is that it has something to do with how the the 3D display and colour and shadows are rendered of the different games.:)

maelstrom

500RPM
Jul 6, 2017
At least ACC and pCars2 looks fine but absolutely not like being on a real track or into a real cockpit.
I agree with you about Project Cars, but we’ll obviously have to agree to disagree about ACC. iRacing graphics are perfectly playable for me but I prefer ACC. The textures and lighting are just better. I suppose it’s affected by variables like your monitor setup, resolution and game settings (view, seat position, etc) but I’m just struggling to see how you could find iRacing graphics better than ACC or, even more difficult for me to grasp, perfect as some have said. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think iRacing has any serious issues with graphics, I just don’t think they’re the best.

Reactions: avenger82

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Premium
Oct 10, 2011
but I’m just struggling to see how you could find iRacing graphics better than ACC or, even more difficult for me to grasp, perfect as some have said.
I would probably also be struggling if I did put something into your mouth that wasnt there - and afterwards tried to understand it ;)
Im pretty confident that I have nowwhere said that i find "iRacing graphics better than ACC":whistling:

ByTheWay: That was the sole reason I did use the notion "in-situ" to describe why I was able to find much more enjoyment and "fullfillment" checking out how iRacing was able to give a more realistic look of "actually being there" WITHOUT much of the graphic capacity of ACC and probably pCars2.

maelstrom

500RPM
Jul 6, 2017
Im pretty confident that I have nowwhere said that i find "iRacing graphics better than ACC"
But that's what you seem to be implying by saying that, at least for you, "iRacing was able to give a more realistic look of "actually being there" ". You also agreed with a comment about how ACC graphics looked blurry and smeared. Perhaps I'm completely misinterpreting you, in which case I apologise.

Maro_Marinov

25RPM
Mar 27, 2013
Have to disagree here. The graphics in iRacing certainly aren't bad but they're no competition for ACC. If you're getting blurry graphics in ACC you must have something wrong somewhere. Can't comment on F1 as I don't have that title.
There's nothing wrong, it's just an engine thing.
TAA antialiasing and other post processing effect just blur and smear the image, especially when moving and it's not a subjective thing.
Just check how many threads in various forums about ACC blurry graphics you'll find.

Don't get me wrong I have more hours put in AC than in all other sims combined and I am a huge fan of Kunos.
But I just can play ACC because of the graphics, although I bought it at Early access and I bought the DLC and I'll buy all upcoming DLC's just to support the company, because they deserve it.
They've just made a bad decision when they decided to use UE4.

iRacing's graphics/visuals are more close to real life, where ACC is a bit cartoonish.
Which is best, good or bad is a matter of opinion, but about the blurriness - there are just facts. :)

Last edited:

GOV47

75RPM
Premium
Oct 13, 2019
Between the lines on the track, iRacing looks as good as any sim IMO. Once you get past the asphalt it steps down quite a bit, but I am not looking at the scenery when I am racing. It is passable. I will take the improved graphic performance in VR of iRacing to other sims. It runs really smooth and is crystal clear.

Patch notes wise, it really seems like a huge update. Looking forward to it.

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Premium
Oct 10, 2011
But that's what you seem to be implying by saying that, at least for you, "iRacing was able to give a more realistic look of "actually being there" ". You also agreed with a comment about how ACC graphics looked blurry and smeared. Perhaps I'm completely misinterpreting you, in which case I apologise.
Yes my good man you are - but you dont have to apologise.
Because normally you are pretty reasonable. So in your case :D I dont think it is intentionally:)

First the implying thing.
If I was implying that iRacings graphics was better do you then think I would say that good ol NR2003 was able to do "slightly" something of the same bringing the user into some "in situ" situation? Come on?

Second the agreeing that ACCs "graphics looked blurry and smeared".
No even on my older system ACC looks reasonably sharp.
The only thing I was doing was using Marinof as a friendly stepping stone by saying "glad Im not alone".:roflmao:
But Im absolutely not agreeing in anything about ACC being completely "smeared out and blurry".
If you reread my different comments then Im just tired/disappointed that none of the other racing games except partly Raceroom give me this
"in situ"/being on a real track feeling.

ByTheWay: Yess Im joking a bit about ACC have a lot of paint on the palette - but thats absolutely not the same as saying that ACC is "smeared out and blurry". Hehe not that much at least - for a UE4 engine :sneaky:

avenger82

Krzysztof Maj
Nov 5, 2011
Wow the changelog is impressive. I wonder why iRacing is in “Other racing games” sub section here in forum. It’s definitely one of most popular sims so I find it strange. BTW: I’m far from being iRacing fanboy.

Nick Gregory

Forever a backmarker
Premium
Nov 27, 2015
I implore anyone who has a passing interest in NASCAR to try the 87 cars. They're not easy, but they are so much fun.

Reactions: Kurupt CDN

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Premium
Oct 10, 2011
A lot bumpier on the real thing - least from the camera View
I think the RL track visually does look a lot more like the Road America in Raceroom - than in iRacing.
Just saying.:D

But conserning the supposedly much more bumpiness in RL than the "sailing/floating" in iRacing then I think that the RL bumpiness would have been much less if the camera had been mounted on the drivers helmet.
Because it is mounted so tight/fixed on the car chassis that both the drivers head and the surroundings are hammering up/down in relation to the camera.
And this is not a fair display of how it should look - in relation to the extremely damped camera in iRacing.

ByTheWay: But even if the camera in RL was mounted on a stabilizing camera gimbal it would never have shown the smoooth floating and sailing motion as in iRacing.:sneaky:

whaletail

100RPM
Apr 28, 2013
I agree with you about Project Cars, but we’ll obviously have to agree to disagree about ACC. iRacing graphics are perfectly playable for me but I prefer ACC. The textures and lighting are just better. I suppose it’s affected by variables like your monitor setup, resolution and game settings (view, seat position, etc) but I’m just struggling to see how you could find iRacing graphics better than ACC or, even more difficult for me to grasp, perfect as some have said. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think iRacing has any serious issues with graphics, I just don’t think they’re the best.
As much as I prefer the vibrancy of ACC and Raceroom, I'm not sure it's that realistic.

Regardless, every modern sim offers serviceable graphics IMO.

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Premium
Oct 10, 2011
I dont want to defend anything just to defend it but I have to admit that when I after topping a Raceroom LB (bragging :laugh: ) sit back and open a popcorn packet and then watch a replay of it - then I consider it close to photo-realism.
IE close to watching a video from RL.:)

ByTheWay: Specially the one way track Lakeview Hillclimb with all its elevations and airlifts is exciting:p