iRacing | Lime Rock Park - Then and Now Comparison Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have released an interesting comparison video featuring the newly rebuilt Lime Rock Park - 2004 to 2019

Ok, it looks like the developers have maybe used a pretty low graphic setting on the original images, but regardless of any little tricks of the trade that may or may not have been applied, I'm sure you can agree that the improvements are immediately obvious with the newly built version of this iRacing favourite circuit.

Lime Rock Park (v2) will be made available as part of the upcoming December build update for the title, due early next month.

iRacing - Lime Rock Park 'Then and Now' Video:

iRacing is available exclusively for PC.

Ask our awesome community anything about the sim! Start a thread at the iRacing sub forum !

iRacing Lime Rock Park 2.jpg

most of the time i race in assetto corsa and with all shaders mods build by the comunity look really impresive, but others old sims denied the fact they need a new engine with dx 12 to match the level of detail in games like fh4 or better cuz without doubt its possible and for the kind of money they ask, dont know why they just are so lazy and show that mini tweak graphics, just ridiculous

most of the time i race in assetto corsa and with all shaders mods build by the comunity look really impresive, but others old sims denied the fact they need a new engine with dx 12 to match the level of detail in games like fh4 or better cuz without doubt its possible and for the kind of money they ask, dont know why they just are so lazy and show that mini tweak graphics, just ridiculous
I can't tell you why the things are as they are, but you can be sure, people at iRacing are anything but lazy.

Last edited:
Ahh come on?
Taken directly from the video - how stupid do they think people are?
Everybody can see that they 2004 shots have been taken with lowest graphics - and the 2019 probably with hyper high settings.:roflmao:
It probably doesnt matter for fanboys but for the more intelligent iRacer this is too much patronizing.:whistling:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: This cheating is completely unnessesary because there is probably a nice difference without.

1+2au.jpg

Graphical evolution apart, this still one of my favorite tracks, specially the non-chicane layout. I don't play iRacing anymore, but still have the track for AC and gone twice to the real place after knew it in the game... very nice place.

Ahh come on?
Taken directly from the video - how stupid do they think people are?
Everybody can see that they 2004 shots have been taken with lowest graphics - and the 2019 probably with hyper high settings.:roflmao:
It probably doesnt matter for fanboys but for the more intelligent iRacer this is too much patronizing.:whistling:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: This cheating is completely unnessesary because there is probably a nice difference without.

Dude, in 2004 iR was still far away from release, they were using the exact same graphic engine of NR 2003, and in fact it looks very similar to it.

Hey Dude 1RPM
iRacing has never used NR2003´s graphics engine.
NR2003 was only running DX8 - and even FIRSTs iRacing prototype was allready running DX9.:cool:

1RPM? wtf?

I will find the interview where DK or any of the other engineers said they ran the first iteration of Lime Rock laser scanned on NR2003 engine.

btw can't understand why while trying a new technology back in 2004 they would care about eye candy options to increase the graphical quality of the track... and now in 2019, downscale the 2004 version for a comparison with the actual standard?? I mean.... what? LOL

Hey Dude 1RPM
iRacing has never used NR2003´s graphics engine.
NR2003 was only running DX8 - and even FIRSTs iRacing prototype was allready running DX9.:cool:
The early built of iRacing used the NR2003 code for multi-body physics, track presentation and multi-user packet code. Kaemmer himself told it.

Probably the actual built still have some NR2003 code.

Dude... Lime Rock is a god damn dog fight of a circuit. It's the road course equivalent to Bristol or Martinsville for NASCAR short tracks. If you don't like Lime Rock, you don't like to race :coffee:

I disagree, I think it's terrible for racing. I don't like hot lapping it, I think I like racing it even less.

Just my personal opinion, this stuff is obviously highly subjective. I see it as much different in character from a NASCAR short track - those are short & slow, that's what produces the action. Lime Rock is short and fast, very little opportunity for side by side racing.

...highly subjective....Lime Rock is short and fast, very little opportunity for side by side racing.
I hear where you're coming from. It's a simple, tight circuit, and passes have to be aggressive and to the apex. If someone's on your bumper and you get a bad exit or sloppy entry, they'll stick their nose in next turn. It's a scrappy, dog fight. I've had a blast around there with MX-5 to 991 Cup cars. I appreciate the upgrade, and look forward to racing it.

I can't tell you why the things are as they are, but you can be sure, people at iRacing are anything but lazy.

Well please do try to tell, because given the amount of paying customers and the lack of updates (four reasonably sized updates a year..) they are doing something very wrong.

I would have expected them to completely change out their physics engine by now, in such a way that we get any kind of decent FFB. Especially with lot's of people investing in high-end wheels and not getting their moneys worth using iRacing. Also, the new damage model took three years to implement, on a single car... Compare their annual product-output to the much smaller studios as Kunos and S397 who's income is much lower too (see steam sales/ subscription numbers).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%