iRacing is overpriced

Coming up to the end of my 3 month sub and I've enjoyed my iRacing time. But got to say it's way overpriced. Yes they provide a good service but compared to other online games it's a rip. I'd be happy to pay a sub but the extra cost for tracks and cars is ridicules. I think at the very least all tracks should be free.

I just hope they get some competition to force them to lower there prices.

I just joined IR, only for the V8's, and only for Bathurst and Phillip Is. I may never race online but the VF is a blast on my sim. I feel they introduced the V8's only for attention grabbing ... but really, I wouldn't drive a nascar around Bathurst nor Phillip Is, so not interested... Having said that... I'll be the first to buy them all (Australian Tracks) when they arrive... or more like if they ever get here.

I agree. The subs price is reasonable, but extra costs for tracks and cars are just greed. They are quite expensive when you consider they cost most than a month's subscription. They should at the very least do something like when you buy the F1 car, then you also get the F1 tracks with it.

There are rumours of RaceRoom Racing Experience changing their pricing model to compete with iRacing.

Last edited:
I agree. The subs price is reasonable, but extra costs for tracks and cars are just greed. They are quite expensive when you consider they cost most than a month's subscription. They should at the very least do something like when you buy the F1 car, then you also get the F1 tracks with it.

There are rumours of RaceRoom Racing Experience changing their pricing model to compete with iRacing.
Really it isnt. Assetto Corsa only had the basic 7 or so tracks that were laser scanned plus 20 or so cars. For $60 and then another $15 for the Nurburgring. iRacing has 60+ tracks and cars. They have to get the equipment to the venue. Hire the track to get the data and then they need to spend time modelling the track so that it is perfect. That would be expensive. AC has only done tracks that are in Europe. Can be driving too and from the track. iRacing would have to fly.

With AC for $15 dlc you get 1 track and 6 cars. 1 track and 6 cars in iRacing would cost you around $80. I haven't played AC (yet) so can't comment on the quality, but from what I've read it's pretty good.

It's currently on sale with dlc for $33 usd, very tempting.

AC doesnt have the racing like iRacing. AC has terrible AI and an even worse MP. iRacing has a set of rules which stops a lot of the crap that happens in AC

Yep agreed and that's what the iRacing sub pays for....
If you didnt make people pay for the cars. You would have 12 year olds racing F1s at Spa and wrecking everyone. Look at ProjectCARS MP atm and it would be impossible to join a lobby and not have a wreckfest. That is what you pay for in each car

If you didnt make people pay for the cars. You would have 12 year olds racing F1s at Spa and wrecking everyone. Look at ProjectCARS MP atm and it would be impossible to join a lobby and not have a wreckfest. That is what you pay for in each car

isn't that what SR is for......

don't know why your trying to argue the point, you said in your original post it's overpriced....

I understand where and what OP is saying but imo if it was to become free to play it would ruin it, like it or not the cost is what keeps most of the idiots away and i've not found "pick up and play" racing of this level on any other platform/service.

Personally as someone that owns 80% of content the game is effectively freeplay for me now as with all the bonus credits they offer it equates to my annual subscription fee so all i have to buy is new cars & tracks as and when i want them.

isn't that what SR is for......

don't know why your trying to argue the point, you said in your original post it's overpriced....
I understand where and what OP is saying but imo if it was to become free to play it would ruin it, like it or not the cost is what keeps most of the idiots away and i've not found "pick up and play" racing of this level on any other platform/service.

Personally as someone that owns 80% of content the game is effectively freeplay for me now as with all the bonus credits they offer it equates to my annual subscription fee so all i have to buy is new cars & tracks as and when i want them.
This was what I was trying to say. It is overpriced but for a reason

So you're happy to pay more than what it's worth just to keep the idiots out, and that's your choice.
I think just the sub alone would be enough to keep idiots out, and like I said in my OP I'd be happy to pay that. I'm sure there are lots of other ways to keep idiots out like a better/tougher SR system that doesn't penalise you when you're the victim.

The fact they they charge for cars and tracks that are no longer even used shows how greedy they are. Also I'm forced to buy a car without even being able to test offline.

Nothings going to change until they have competition.

I have recently started with iRacing. I was a member at iRacing and receives an email about 2 years for the prices of one so thought i'd return.

Couple of points I wanted to make.
1 - Is there a service or sim that offer the structure that iRacing does?
2 - As a beginner, I haven't messing about in the MX5 cup yet to want any other cars.

I'm happy to pay the extra for the cars and tracks. A few times during the year iracing gives you a discounted price on the subs and you also get some money back through the participation credits. Furthermore, if they release a new car or track that is a newer version of something they already have on the service you will get the new one at a discounted price or if you have bought the older one recently the new one is free.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it and how much you get out of it. If you don't think you are getting your money's worth out of the sim then yes, it's overpriced. For me it isn't. :)

62409961.jpg

I suppose it depends on how you look at it and how much you get out of it. If you don't think you are getting your money's worth out of the sim then yes, it's overpriced. For me it isn't.

Well yeah that's why I posted, if iRacing was the only game I played then it might be worth it. But I still think they charge whatever they like because they're the only online competitive racing game.

They do what they do very well, just look at the new Pro series that was announced yesterday. 40 car fields in a new GT3 endurance series with cash prizes on offer. Nothing is stopping anybody else coming up with this stuff, but they don't.

I don't like subscription systems for video games as i don't have enough time to justify paying on a monthly basis, but i'm well aware that it's needed in iRacing to ensure clean racing and keeping their racing infrastructure running.

But they overshoot it when it comes to the content they offer.
Just look at AC or R3E and see how much their content packs cost, so there's absolutely no need to ask for so incredibly much for the content in iRacing and still make money.

Don't like newcomers in F1 races?
Then flatten the career model and offer content packs only when drivers prove that they are able to control the cars and race clean.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 316 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 158 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 276 13.5%