iRacing | Historic North Wilkesboro Speedway Coming to the Sim

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing are doing something a little bit different - producing a laserscan of the classic North Wilkesboro Speedway.

Revealing images of the team hard at work on the now derelict Wilkesboro Speedway site in North Carolina, iRacing are currently performing a laserscan of the track as they bid to recreate the venue within the iRacing simulation - with plans to create an historic 1987 version of the 0.625 mile venue.

North Wilkesboro Speedway is famous for being one of the most historic venues in Nascar history, having hosted the first of its 93 Winston Cup events as long ago as 1959. Unfortunately, the track has fallen into disrepair in recent years, having finally closed its doors to competitive racing at the end of the 2011 season, following its reopening in 2010 after a 14 year period of inactivity.

iRacing North Wilkesboro 1.jpg

iRacing are currently scanning the circuit following efforts from former Nascar driver Dale Earnhardt Jr to clean up the venue in preparation for the visit from iRacing staff - something the fan favourite driver has been discussing with the developers for a number of months.

According to various news sources, several months ago Earnhardt Jr. discussed cleaning up the venue and allowing iRacing to reproduce it within the simulation when chatting about the track with owner Marcus Smith, on his regular podcast, 'The Dale Jr. Download'.

An exciting move from iRacing, and very interesting to see a laserscanned version of an historic circuit coming to a modern racing simulation.

iRacing is exclusively available on PC.

For more news about iRacing, head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community today!

iRacing North Wilkesboro 3.jpg
iRacing North Wilkesboro 4.jpg

Last edited:
Reconstructing a track(tarmac and surroundings) that has more or less disappeared today has some irony - at least for a company and fanbase who allways has used it as an argument that 100% laserscanned tracks for this game make it stand out against the competition.;)

But this "double standard" was allready introduced when iRacing reconstructed the overgrown and damaged Monza oval.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: As a former member I have had lots of fun and thrilling laps on this artificial and nonexisting reconstructed track.
YesYes I know there still exist some reminiscence of a much damaged oval inside the Monza forest in RL. :roflmao::roflmao:

HISTORIC ! ????

Somebody does appreciate the past ? :)

I sure do. Though I don't get what is there to like about ovals, they are just the same. But I like when there are road courses bult in them, and only fraction of the track takes the oval part, those are usually great tracks.

What a waste!! Another track to drive around in circles :( What about the numerous kick ass tracks found in RRE? Autodrome MOST, etc... Nice elevation changes, etc..
Go drive RRRE then.

So when iRacing added Catalunya a few weeks back, I'll guess there were members who are predominantly oval racers saying just the same things as you, but from the other perspective.

Oh my god, what a waste... another road track.

If you look at the pictures, the track surface is derelict. I guess they will have to smooth that out during post-processing. I am a bit baffled that they would do something like that versus scanning an actively maintained track.
Because the track is historic and Dale wanted it preserved digitally while the track is still around as the future of the real life track is grim. Scanning it now, even if it has to be smoothed out, will be able to capture everything that made the track great.

I don't agree with them doing it for 1987 as the pit lane was smaller then. I'm doing mine as 1996 being the final active year for the top series.

Because the track is historic and Dale wanted it preserved digitally while the track is still around as the future of the real life track is grim. Scanning it now, even if it has to be smoothed out, will be able to capture everything that made the track great.

I don't agree with them doing it for 1987 as the pit lane was smaller then. I'm doing mine as 1996 being the final active year for the top series.
I see your point. Though, something that would make the whole enterprise worthwhile, would be to add vintage NASCAR cars to the sim.

I am not much into oval. However, if they came up with an early 70's Richard Petty Plymouth Satellite or a Bobby Allison Chevy Monte Carlo of the same era, that might pique my interest.
1576255074464.png

1576255103883.png

In the 70's, my Godfather gave me a toy race track that featured these two cars. I have fond memories of racing these toy cars.

I see your point. Though, something that would make the whole enterprise worthwhile, would be to add vintage NASCAR cars to the sim.

I am not much into oval. However, if they came up with an early 70's Richard Petty Plymouth Satellite or a Bobby Allison Chevy of the same era, that might pique my interest.
View attachment 338789
View attachment 338790

In the 70's, my Godfather gave me a toy race track that featured these two cars. I have fond memories of racing these toy cars.
I agree it would be awesome if they brought in some old school cars from the 70s, 80s, and even 90s.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%