iRacing | Historic North Wilkesboro Speedway Coming to the Sim

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing are doing something a little bit different - producing a laserscan of the classic North Wilkesboro Speedway.

Revealing images of the team hard at work on the now derelict Wilkesboro Speedway site in North Carolina, iRacing are currently performing a laserscan of the track as they bid to recreate the venue within the iRacing simulation - with plans to create an historic 1987 version of the 0.625 mile venue.

North Wilkesboro Speedway is famous for being one of the most historic venues in Nascar history, having hosted the first of its 93 Winston Cup events as long ago as 1959. Unfortunately, the track has fallen into disrepair in recent years, having finally closed its doors to competitive racing at the end of the 2011 season, following its reopening in 2010 after a 14 year period of inactivity.

iRacing North Wilkesboro 1.jpg

iRacing are currently scanning the circuit following efforts from former Nascar driver Dale Earnhardt Jr to clean up the venue in preparation for the visit from iRacing staff - something the fan favourite driver has been discussing with the developers for a number of months.

According to various news sources, several months ago Earnhardt Jr. discussed cleaning up the venue and allowing iRacing to reproduce it within the simulation when chatting about the track with owner Marcus Smith, on his regular podcast, 'The Dale Jr. Download'.

An exciting move from iRacing, and very interesting to see a laserscanned version of an historic circuit coming to a modern racing simulation.

iRacing is exclusively available on PC.

For more news about iRacing, head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community today!

iRacing North Wilkesboro 3.jpg
iRacing North Wilkesboro 4.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder why in most sims, you will get Formula 1 cars of old or GT cars or Le Mans sport prototype cars but when it comes to NASCAR cars, you rarely see vintage cars being offered. I wonder why?

Because NASCAR dosen't want to admit how bad Brain France messed up NASCAR. :mad: There was a NASCAR legends back around the time of NASCAR Racing 3, but that is it as far as offical stuff. There are some old school mods for NR2003.

I see your point. Though, something that would make the whole enterprise worthwhile, would be to add vintage NASCAR cars to the sim.

I am not much into oval. However, if they came up with an early 70's Richard Petty Plymouth Satellite or a Bobby Allison Chevy Monte Carlo of the same era, that might pique my interest.
Absolutely agree....I would purchase this as a combo DLC.

I used to run an office across the street (TAB Retail) when I lived in NC. Very short track overgrown with weeds. Been closed for years. I remember years back when Top Gear was here I met James May.
Nice! I remember driving on 421, and when there was a race, Troopers would stop traffic for pedestrians because some of the parking was in a field ACROSS the highway. :D Old school.

My guess is that there's an 80's Earnhardt car coming to the sim at the same time...

That would be logical.An 1986 selection of cars would be great.It is the last year before restrictor plates & the field of drivers was unbelievable.Earnhardt,Rudd,Tim Richmond,Wallace,Elliott,Petty,Yarborough,Waltrip,Kulwicki.Nice looking cars as well with some legendary paint schemes.

With the new AI you could recreate the season & even for example make Earnhardt more agressive.

Before racing ovals in iRacing and doing only them rarely on other sims I was in "bah, ovals are always the same".

Oh bois how wrong I was... Surely there are some oval tracks that seem very close to each other, but theres lot of variation I was not aware of before and driving in packs is really different in different oval tracks.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back