iRacing | Historic Content! North Wilkesboro Speedway Today - '87 Stock Cars Soon

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A great time to be a fan of historic Nascar competition and an iRacing user, as the service have today released the classic North Wilkesboro Speedway, as well as confirming '87 Cup Cars will be added to the simulation soon.

Yes, although the track has been in something of a state of disrepair in recent years, the iRacing team have nevertheless taken their laser scanning equipment to the former Winston Cup venue, doing a marvelous job of recreating the venue in all of its former glory.

As well as the historic oval, iRacing have also confirmed the 1987 issue Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and Ford Thunderbird will also be added to the simulation in the very near future, giving fans some period content to race on the new venue. Working with the real world Richard Childress Racing team in order to scan the cars with fully accurate detail, both the legendary Monte Carlo SS and Thunderbird are expected to be made available for the simulation in the very near future.

iRacing Old Nascar 1.jpg

In other iRacing news, the service recently released a new update hotfix for their 2020 Season 2 build, details of which can be seen below:

Simulation:

Race Control

• Fixed an issue where towing during parade laps would not correctly be recognized as a missed-start tow, so the lap zero-crossing was never being recorded as the race began, leaving the car a lap down.
Cars:

NASCAR Cup Series Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

• Windshield banner texture has been updated.
Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR
  • Tag Heuer branding has been added.
Porsche 919
  • 2020 Season 2 Balance of Power Adjustment: Maximum MGU-K regeneration power has been increased to 350 kW.
Skip Barber Formula 2000
  • The rev-limiter type has been updated to a hard limiter. The bouncing limiter has been removed for authenticity.
  • Audio levels for the starter/ignition sounds have been improved.
Tracks:

Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya

• Adjusted the visibility settings on some curbs to prevent them from disappearing at various graphics settings.
Road America
  • Fixed an issue where overhead bridges could disappear while using lower graphics settings.
  • Some signs have been updated.
Texas Motor Speedway
  • Fixed an issue where the main grandstand could disappear while using lower graphics settings.

iRacing is available now on PC.

Want to know how to get the most from your simulation? Ask our awesome community at the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

iRacing Old Nascar 3.jpg

iRacing Old Nascar 2.jpg

Attachments

• iRacing Old Nascar 4.jpg
    iRacing Old Nascar 4.jpg
    808.3 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Just a minor correction, Richard Childress Racing only aided in the scan of the Monte Carlo since the team has only used Chevrolet models throughout its history (hence the Dale Earnhardt 1987 Wrangler scheme in the reveal pictures). iRacing scanned the Thunderbird through Cup Series driver Chase Elliott who helped them get access to one of his father's Thunderbirds from that era (and why the Thunderbird has Bill Elliott's paint scheme from '87 in the reveal pics).

Great content.The older sim racers like me who can remember Bills T Bird & Dales Monte Carlo racing will be abandoning the latest Cup cars for these non restrictor plate cars.It will be strange to go to Talladega & have to lift in the corners when you run the car on its own.
Dale Jr had his critics when he was racing but this would not have happened without him.He even cleaned up the track in the rainy weather.He may not have matched his Fathers racing achievements on track but he is an all round nice guy & a huge fan of racing.

Bring on the Gran
Just a minor correction, Richard Childress Racing only aided in the scan of the Monte Carlo since the team has only used Chevrolet models throughout its history (hence the Dale Earnhardt 1987 Wrangler scheme in the reveal pictures). iRacing scanned the Thunderbird through Cup Series driver Chase Elliott who helped them get access to one of his father's Thunderbirds from that era (and why the Thunderbird has Bill Elliott's paint scheme from '87 in the reveal pics).
Maybe you meant "exclusively GM" because Richard himself raced two Oldsmobile Cutlasses:

Attachments

• 20200511_174613.jpg
    20200511_174613.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 20200511_174552.jpg
    20200511_174552.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 247
We Days Of Thunder now.

Great content.The older sim racers like me who can remember Bills T Bird & Dales Monte Carlo racing will be abandoning the latest Cup cars for these non restrictor plate cars.It will be strange to go to Talladega & have to lift in the corners when you run the car on its own.
Dale Jr had his critics when he was racing but this would not have happened without him.He even cleaned up the track in the rainy weather.He may not have matched his Fathers racing achievements on track but he is an all round nice guy & a huge fan of racing.
I was more disappointed by the fact that Dale jr never got to wear his daddy's number 3.

Milking the same dead cow since 2008.

Why give you iRACING2 while you are still paying per month since 2008.

Off course they can find more ways to dig for gold:

1- Tax on buyer (unlike every other simulator).

2- Multiplayer costs money per minute (unlike every other simulator).

3- Replay HUD's are something you won't get unless you pay extra for some special edition (unlike every other simulator).

4- Yeah, you have the model since 2008, just fill with new numbers and you can continuously sell them new cars.

I award them PHD in how to take money and give nothing. They are responsible for changing the whole way other sims improve. Before them it was a sim (or a game) every couple of years, but now a DLC every couple of months).

Physics engine improvements? NO! Good sound? NO! Driving feel? NO!

Money? YES!

iRacing is like hell, no matter how much you give it, it wants to take more.

So many on here seem to still be bitter and angry about the cost of Iracing.
That’s fair enough but I can never understand why there is no anger towards all the devs who aren’t even trying to compete with them. As far as I can tell most people want exactly what Iracing has to offer but with their preferred sim and also a lot cheaper.
But every other sim’s multiplayer is an absolute joke in comparison. The main reason I don’t leave Iracing is because when I do play other sims their multiplayer feels kinda pointless. Iracing is the only sim that gives me a ‘multiplayer career mode’ if you like. Also the divisions mean that, no matter your skill level, you can compete for a championship over a season.

The main reason I hear for no other dev taking on Iracing is that it is prohibitively expensive to do what Iracing does.
But does it not make sense that Iracing costs a lot to play then? I don’t know the answer but I think in 2020 it’s pretty lame that no other racing sim developer isn’t striving to have a competitive mp system like Iracing has.
I would love my other sims to have this but until they do I will be spending the majority of my time with Iracing.

Not a massive oval fan but the new content looks great. I left iracing for 5 years and returned a few months ago. Yes it is expensive but its also peerless when it comes to online races and matchmaking. Driving standards compared to other sims are also generally good.

The main reason I don’t leave Iracing is because when I do play other sims their multiplayer feels kinda pointless. Iracing is the only sim that gives me a ‘multiplayer career mode’ if you like.
I agree this is an absolutely urgent point. This feeling of a "real" career in iRacing has probably something to do with the complete 24/7 service.
If you are a member and does participate in their official races it feels like a reasonable(somewhat :p) substitute for a RL racing career.
None of the other racing sims can initiate that feeling because they dont establish the complete packet (= a complete RL substitute).:thumbsup:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I guess the reason nobody wholeheartedly is trying to compete with iRacing in this area is because iRacing as the first succesfull player established kinda factual "monopoly". And the reason that was possible is because the 24/7 racing sim niche is not huge enough to be able to be profitable for more than one player. And the "proof" for that conclusion is that nobody are trying to duplicate this - eventhough the guys behind the competing sims are clever enough. Hehe they are clever enough to know that it cant be done:whistling:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 235 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 164 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.2%