iRacing | Fantasy iRacing Speedway Available Now

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Well, at least this one fits on one page! Another new build for iRacing has been released (hotfix this time), and with it comes the first pass of the new iRacing Speedway oval circuit within the simulation.
  • iRacing Speedway (formally CocaCola Speedway) released.
  • Various fixes and tweaks.
  • Track specific fixes added.

Following up from the latest build update released a few short days ago, US based development team iRacing have dropped another fresh release for the simulation - including the addition of a returning favourite from years past - the formally titled CocaCola Speedway is back under a new name!

iRACING UI:

General

– Scrollbars have been updated.
– – A new look, and the main window scrollbar has been inset slightly from the right-hand frame of the application window so you can click & drag it more easily.

– Scrolling performance has been optimized.

– A direct link to the Membersite Forums has been added to the sidebar menu.
– – The link previously found under the Helmet menu has been removed.

– Fixed an issue where some windows could jitter slightly.

Licenses

– The cross-license icon will now only appear on events which are cross-license.

Race Now

– Fixed two issues with the action button for each event in the Schedule Tab of a Series:
– – They now correctly say “Drive Now” instead of “Race Now”.
– – They now correctly utilize the associated week’s content for both the Test Drive and Create a Hosted Race options instead of always using the current week’s content.

3D Car Viewer

– Fixed an issue where the 3D Car Viewer could malfunction when UI Scaling was set to any value other than 100%.

– Fixed an issue where the 3D Car Viewer would display in an incorrect color space when displayed on an HDR screen.

MEMBERSITE:

– Fixed an issue where users were not being allowed to join a Session if they did now own all cars in the car class being used. Users need only own at least one car in the car class being used in order to join that Session.

SIMULATION:

Oculus Rift

– Fixed an issue where the iRacing UI was causing Oculus Home to start.

TRACKS:

iRacing Superspeedway

– NEW TRACK!
– – A relic from an older computer age has been reborn!
– – – Enjoy a trip down memory lane and a piece of sim racing’s heritage with iRacing Superspeedway, making its debut on iRacing for the first time just in time for the 2021 season. First conceived as a fictional arena for previous-generation NASCAR Cup Series cars to run without restrictor plates, reaching speeds much higher than they would in the real world, this refreshed version of the circuit brings it to life for iRacing’s entire fleet of diverse racing machines. Spanning three miles in length and with massive banking of more than 30 degrees in the turns, iRacing Superspeedway requires a lead foot and precise inputs to master. It’s all about keeping the wheel as straight as possible to maximize your speed and staying in the draft during the race. But as with any superspeedway, one wrong move can be the end of the race for you—and a huge group of your competitors.
– – Add iRacing Superspeedway to your digital landscape from the iRacing Store here: https://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/TrackDetail.do?trkid=384

Irwindale Speedway

– (Figure Eight and Figure Eight Jump) – Some gain-time checkpoints have been added to prevent significant course cutting.

Limaland Motorsports Park

– Some gain-time checkpoints have been added to prevent course cutting at Turn 4.

iRacing is available now, exclusive to PC.

Check the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, chat and tips about this popular online racing simulation.

iRacing Speedway.jpg

Last edited:
iRacing is suppose to be a sim, what exactly is this track simulating? I’ve spent a heap on iRacing, over $1k likely at this point, but they really need to spend more time on the actual simulation part rather then fake tracks, plus this is a speedway, does anyone really want a fictional oval track? Could almost understand a fictional track that combines iconic corners of real world tracks but an oval? A+ for creativity this is not... lol

iRacing is suppose to be a sim, what exactly is this track simulating? I’ve spent a heap on iRacing, over $1k likely at this point, but they really need to spend more time on the actual simulation part rather then fake tracks, plus this is a speedway, does anyone really want a fictional oval track? Could almost understand a fictional track that combines iconic corners of real world tracks but an oval? A+ for creativity this is not... lol

It's a fun track to race on with a big field of cars. 250 mph down the straights in a NASCAR Cup car in a pack of 40 will get the adrenaline flowing :)

In this case there is still licensing costs. The track will be named Coca Cola Speedway once the deal is finally signed. Coke doesn't come cheap :)

Are you saying they will pay Coca Cola to used their name on the track? When they could've called it the Towler SuperSpeedway in honor of their very first champion in the first season of officially recognized NASCAR championship on iRacing?

Are you saying they will pay Coca Cola to used their name on the track? When they could've called it the Towler SuperSpeedway in honor of their very first champion in the first season of officially recognized NASCAR championship on iRacing?

I'm not sure of the costs but there are still licensing agreements and, at a minimum, lawyers aren't free in the USA :) Coca Cola is the series sponsor of the NASCAR eSports series and this track was called Coca Cola Speedway back in NR2003.

$2000 for a gaming PC: check!
$1500 for wheel/pedal/shifter: you bet!
$800 for cockpit: got it!
$500 for VR headset: wouldn't race without one!
$400 for Sparco gloves/shoes
$15 for a track: Jesus H. Christ, do they think I'm made of money or what?!?!?!?!

My PC is expensive af
My wheel/pedal/shifter is expensive af
my cockpit is expensive af
my VR headset is expensive af
my gloves are expensive af
so my sim has to be expensive af as well... this logic

Without any additional expense for licensing or laser-scanning, the CocaCola oval could have been a nice present by the developers to their loyal customers, coming at a reduced price, or even for free.

But it ended up to be the other way around.

As always, it's up to the customer to decide...

Mario cart racing is fun, and sim racing is fun, and never the two should meet
My only qualm with the sim racing community - and why I haven't dipped my toe into gaming and never will - is the overly-serious Hammurabi's Code of Laws on what's good, what's bad and what the proper mindset is supposed to be. I'd rather chew fiberglass.
Project Cars 3 came out and cats lost their damn minds. It was cheesy and goofy and arcade-y and not a sim. So. What? 2020 is an amazing time to be into sim racing. There are so many quality sims and equipment and opportunities to get in on it. I'm showing my age here, but when I was a racing-obsessed kid getting my fix from SNES games, I never would have imagined all this cool stuff. I still have childlike wonder about the awesomeness of it.
Any track or car on iRacing is a miracle when you think about what they do and how they do it. I mean, what a time to be alive. Why ruin this great hobby by being an arbiter of what's cool and what's not? Don't use what you don't like, because there's plenty out there you will like. No need for judgment. There are still fully-grown adults who feel its important to set the rules of "coolness," and that's a damn shame.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 410 40.0%