iRacing Dirt First Build Closing In - Dirt Cushion Implemented

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Dirt Cushion.jpg

iRacing.com have released another preview from the upcoming dirt build, this time showing us the new dirt cushion in action at Williams Grove Speedway.

Following the recent preview showing NASCAR Camping World Trucks at Eldora Speedway, iRacing have last night confirmed testing for the new loose surface environments in the simulation have gathered pace of late, with the recent introduction of a dirt cushion now available in beta builds of the software.

For those of you less familiar with the dirt oval style of racing, a dirt cushion is a major part of the racing environment of these short loose surface oval tracks. As mud is lifted from the track surface by the circulating cars it generally forms a banking, or cushion, alongside the standard racing grove. This cushion can then be used to help encourage the rear of the car around a corner, or if misused can cause a significant alteration in the vehicles trajectory and lead to an accident. As the racing surface evolves, the cushion can build in size and be pushed further up the track surface as racers attempt to find the most effective groove to get round the track.

"So what is so exciting about going in circles on dirt? It’s a track that is constantly evolving in big swings from the start of the race to the end of it that adds a new element to racing. It’s watching a driver pound the right rear off a cushion to sling shot past the leader out of a corner. It’s sliding sideways to go as fast as you can through the corners on a tacky track. It’s the throttle control riding the bottom on a dry slick surface. It’s the multiple grooves that form where the drivers are racing. It’s watching the cushion slowly move up next to a wall, to where only the brave drivers dare to put it on the edge. It’s all of these things and more . . . "
said a statement from iRacing during the original dirt reveal last year.

"A cushion could or will form if that is what the racing dictates. There will be a soft, loose layer of dirt on top and beneath that, the hard dead-pan layer as I mentioned. Each track could be different in terms of the loose layer’s depth and composition, the hard layer, etc. Graphically or visually we are also are trying to match the physics with the dirt moving and building up" added iRacing President Tony Gardner.
So with development seemingly well advanced and now some of the final touches are getting added to the beta build, it looks like loose surface tracks are just around the corner for iRacing fans.

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive racing game available to purchase now.

Check out the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep in touch with your fellow iRacing fans. Join in the conversation, download a setup or simply catch up on the latest news regarding the simulation. Head over to the sub forum and join in the discussion today!

Looking forward to the dirt racing build coming to iRacing? What class of car in the game do you most anticipate driving on the new surface? Could the inclusion of dirt bring more users to the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Look at it this way: For us Europeans it is the gateway to a real rallycross game, after all iRacing are also building a Ford Rallycross car, if I am not mistaken (or is it a rally car?). And there is little racing more colorful than rallycross (says the guy who lives just a few miles from Germany's world rally x championship venue ...)
Can`t disagree with any of your words. I am a big fan of FIA WRX champioship, didnt missed a single round in 2016 and watched some recorded races of 2015. Love from the first sight :geek:

iRacing is planing to make RS WRC Fiesta, which is not the same car as an RX version. At least because RX car have only 1 seat. Who need a ballast in the car in the form of a human being.
31.jpg

1430764399508.jpg

Reeno post: 2393303 said:
You drive on OVAL tracks...where you find a courage to speak?
But the tracks are banked! :p

For the record, I hate NASCAR, but love dirt track racing. Its what I grew up on and was a part of for a decade of my life. I think its appealing to people because its the easiest form of racing for random, "John Does" to be apart of.

I'm interested to see how it goes. As many of you may or may not know, I'm one of iRacings biggest critics.

I still feel that given they haven't been able to model a reasonable grip level to the trackside grass that they should in theory struggle with dirt :p

Another interesting point is, how will the rallycross work? Surely everyones SR will end up destroyed after 2 heats?

I'm interested to see how it goes. As many of you may or may not know, I'm one of iRacings biggest critics.

I still feel that given they haven't been able to model a reasonable grip level to the trackside grass that they should in theory struggle with dirt :p

Another interesting point is, how will the rallycross work? Surely everyones SR will end up destroyed after 2 heats?

It'll be interesting to find out though.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back