iRacing day one.

After nearly a 3 year absence from sim racing I was as it turned out, briefly back in the racing seat.
Well the old office chair that is, but hey its got a built in handbrake to keep it still ;-)

I got the G25 back from my nephew last month. Without the power adapter of coerce :mad:
iRacing had been high on my wish list for a long time but I wanted to wait until the content had matured a little more towards road racing. Oh and more importantly, my first born baby came/comes first.

On Saturday I got the new power adapter. Riped of the paper wrapping and called a friend with the other hand.
Loaded up LFS and had a blast chasing one another for a few hours. I've been prepping him up to sign up to iRacing with me. But think I've scared him a little with the seriousness of the sim.
And he's probably worried about being too slow, well he should as he's past 50 now and uses two sets of glasses ;-) I know he will love it, as he enjoys taking part in the race as much as I do winning them :)

Well I said I would buy iRacing later that night and invite him to a test drive.
I took out my credit card but before I paid I noticed the code box. Checked my backup mail and found a special invitation code from iRacing from before it was launched, it still worked and saved me a few bucks :D

As people say. Download and install was easy as pie but all the info from the web page seamed a little overwhelming at first glance. As an old GPL racer I will probably never loose my love for single seater's.
I've watched lots of clips with the Skippy on YouTube and thought it was part of the package, wrong.
Silly decision really as its most likely THE best car to learn to drive in. Well forked out a few more bucks and was eager to take it for a spin.

It turned out to be horrible. Well I couldn't tell for sure if the car was OK or not, because the wheel was not giving a good FF feeling and I had huge dead zone to master. The wheel calibration process went wrong all the time. Spent most of the night trying to make it work. Gave up frustrated and wrote support letter to iRacing.
Next day I searched and tested G25 settings, It didn't perform so well in other games too. The Logitech profiler software had been running in the background with custom profiles for each game. I turned it OFF and made a permanent profile in Windows control panel. Got back to Lime Rock and suddenly everything was great. After a few laps me and Skippy where the best of friends.

I was eager to get into a race as I felt confident with the handling and I also knew Lime quite well. But I was not eligible to drive the Skippy in races it seamed, well at first glance. The only race open to me was Laguna driving the Solstice. 30min to start. Took it for a test ride but spent to much time in the options menu to get a feel for the car and track, selected forfeit. To my surprise a little later, I think I'm listed as a starter in the race, even though I didn't even get to the warm up?

Found a new race and went practicing again.
Never liked Laguna, T1 5 and 6 are easy to loose control in, not forgetting the blind exit at the corkscrew and the following long sweeper. I know the track layout but only raced there a few times and never been close to master it. Good news it changed in a flash as I quickly noticed the excellent apex and road markers. That in combination with the locked gear ratio made it easy to get into a steady rhythm quickly improving lap times, but I was slow, around 1.55 at first.

Race 1. First in iRacing.
Told my self to focus on driving safe and staying on track. On the second lap I got hit by a car that came flying back onto the track after a bad exit on T6. At first I thought, its not so bad. Then I noticed I had to hold the wheel 45 degrees to the right to go straight. Limped back to pit and went back out when it was repaired, took a while ;-) finished last but exited and happy with the experience.

The Solstice proved it self to be easy and fun to drive, so he's my pal too ;-)
A tiny flick, lift of and slide into the turn with full throttle, well by the end of the day it felt like that ;-)

Race 2. My first WIN :D
A little more confident in car and track but my hart was beating hard and knuckles locked tight around the wheel.
Started 6 on grid and got up to second on lap 2. On lap six I took the lead and hold it to the end.
My fastest lap was 01.50.645
This was everything i hoped it would be and something I've missed since my GPL league days.
Not because I won the race, its the feeling of being on the track fighting, trying hard to stay in control, of emotions and car and not f..... up.

Race 3. Another race another trophy :D
Started 8th on the grid but advanced to second on the first lap. Swapped places with leader Ben Adams a few times in the middle of the race but lost control in lap 7 and T. Yasuoka went flying by.
Snatched the second place back on the last lap :cool:

Wow.. I was totally exhausted by the intensity and the level of concentration, witch I'm not used to anymore.
But I wanted MORE.

Race 4.
Started at 11th on the grid but exploited the usual first round chaos and hopefully made a few smart moves too. Got up to 4th on the second lap and it looked like it could be another podium finish :cool:
Then suddenly a huge BANG sounded of next to me and everything electric went black.
The "good as original" power adapter didn't physically explode but it sounded like it had.
I had to go out to the fusebox and turn the power back on. To my relief my PC booted up again.
But my G25 is dead, or at least the crappy power supply is. I hope the G25 is OK too :confused:

If it only it had hold up until the race was over, instead it struck me like lightning and left me screaming for MOORE.

And the eBay seller has not responded yet :mad:

F...

Wow.. That kinda put my measly 98 bucks into perspective.
Well hope you're still having fun and getting value for your money.

In away that was good to read because I kinda lost my drive here.
I don't like the gearbox on the Vette. Strange as it may sound its only on Road Atlanta I have trouble shifting down, and only at the end of the backstretch towards the bridge?
I've tried back and forth with aids turned on and off, but I prefer racing without the aids.

So the Vette and me are not pals at all, its a beast. But I will learn to ride it :mad:
And when I do I'm gonna make it a garage "Queen"

William: Tore Oddeleiv Aas

Wow.. That kinda put my measly 98 bucks into perspective.
Well hope you're still having fun and getting value for your money.

In away that was good to read because I kinda lost my drive here.
I don't like the gearbox on the Vette. Strange as it may sound its only on Road Atlanta I have trouble shifting down, and only at the end of the backstretch towards the bridge?
I've tried back and forth with aids turned on and off, but I prefer racing without the aids.

You've got to blip at the right time, just keep practising and you'll learn when to do it.

All I can say is. What the *BLIIIP* is going on.
The Vette is no fun unless you're good at heal and toe. Perhaps its time to learn.
I don't have time to practice much before next week. I don't see any point in doing races or time laps before lap time and down shifting are consistent. And when it clicks, I'll put in the time needed to move up a level. After that I think I'll explore some of the other content and just have fun.

My daughter is at sleep so I jumped in for a quick test drive in the Corvette.
Oh.. I also had quick run in the MX5.. Great car.

The new patch included a tweak to the gearbox, the time loss is less now compared to no aids.
I still had trouble with inconsistent down shifts so I turned clutch and blip ON.
That made it easier to concentrate on the driving, and actually enjoy the Corvettes handling more.
It only took 3 laps to set a new best time of 1.19.2xx ( Road Atlanta ) So I'll leave the aids ON for the time being.

I also made a huge purchase today. 5 tracks and 2 cars, the SR8 & F1 :)

See you on the track soon I hope.

Hi 2re, i've been with iracing since 2008. Sounds like you might be moving too fast and you're going to kill the fun by getting into harder to drive cars too early.
The Skip Barber is a great car that will make you a better driver over time. I suggest you run a season into it.
Either way, enjoy the service and have fun, don't burn yourself out.

Hi guys.
I've been quiet mostly because there's been little to talk about at least in regards to moving onwards with the A license. Right after I made a substantial purchase of cars and tracks, witch I needed for B-Class, the FUN week started. Well not so FUN when I realized that there would be no B-Class Qual, TT or races for a week.

Anyway it was nice to jump in everywhere and don't worry about SR but I think Caveman week is more appropriate as everyone seams to go ALL IN from the very start :D

I got to practice a little bit and run TT the week after, sadly very few races to join? And it still isn't the week after. I'm starting to wonder if iRacing deliberate is putting on tracks & cars I need to buy when I see the sort of thing you'll see in the included picture.

I feel like I'm stuck in the twilight zone in Class B.

Except for the lack of race selections in B i'm enjoying the experiance and having fun.
I ran into Dario brifely on Sebring when I made my first visit there in the radical.
Dario gave me few tips (Thank You) to get up to speed witch helped, but it was the bloddy bumps I needed to get sorted. I "hated" Sebring at first, probably because its FLAT, I don't like Silverstone eihter for the same reason. But the TT runs I made in the Vette and Radical slowly turned my head around so now I actually like the track. Had one of my best moments in iRacing last night, racing with Eric Gamson on Sebring, just the two of us, he in the Vette and me in the Radical.
Awesome fun.

Attachments

• What's not so Hot.jpg
    What's not so Hot.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 263
shame on you 2re, still don´t have Watkins Glen!
jk of course but really this is typically FIRST track to buy together with Road Atlanta....Mid Ohio in newer days (recently released)
anyway if you have week off from MPR you can always work on your SR with lower class vehicles (and just run quickly MPR next week) or even come to dark side (Oval :tongue:)

had fun on Sebring but yes it is too bumpy and I am still not very frendly with SR8

c u on track 2re

Hi Dario.

Aha.. So its possible to work on SR in lower classes.

And its the other way around, Shame on you :tongue:
Tracks: Watkins Glen - Road Atlanta - Mid Ohio - VIR - Mosport - Road America - Zandvoort - Barber - Summit Point - Sebring and Silverstone.
Class B cars: Corvette - Radical - Indy..

I will probably buy the Mustang and the Riley as PanAM looks great.

I was actually thinking about having my friend check his "What's Hot" list and compare it with mine, just to see if I was being manipulated into buying more stuff.
But I think its more like they want to push the Lotus and Phillip Island on us all :rolleyes:

:letsgoracing:

Hi Dario.

Aha.. So its possible to work on SR in lower classes.

:letsgoracing:

Very much so. You only need to buy one car in each class to meet the MPR through time trials or racing. Another way to boost the SR is to run some clean qualifying sessions. Worth 50% of what you would normally get in a race. So basically 20 minutes to put in 10 nice clean laps for a nice boost to SR.

Once you get your A licence you can run anything, so have a think about what races you would like to take part in. I am loving the Lotus at the moment, having found a balanced set up that just needs a few tweaks between tracks.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back