iRacing Content Pricing

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting into iRacing soon, but I don't really have a lot of money myself (don't have a job because I've found school work really taxing this year - my last year of school - although I'll probably get one in the upcoming summer holidays after I'm finished). I'm thinking of asking for an iRacing voucher for an upcoming birthday to help me get started, but I'm kinda stuck on how much to 'recommend' - I want to ask for enough to get me a ~6 month subscription and all of the paid content that I really want, but not too much so that my parents are put off.

I'm making a list of all the cars/tracks that I really want, followed by those that I would get if I had some spare cash, and then the ones that I'm not really interested in. I know on iRacing's website that they say all cars and tracks are either US$11.95 or $14.95, however I can't find any reference to which specific cars/tracks are more or less expensive. I want to know because I suspect my list is mostly $14.95 content :p

If anyone has a price list or something they could post here (or PM me) that would be great.

Cheers,
FerrariMan96.

Disagree =|= dislike
I thoroughly disagree with your post Roi, there are in my opinion NO other sims on the market that can compete with iracing as far as online racing goes. Whether that online racing part is important enough to deal with the "subpar physics" (IMO they are not) and to pay the price they ask for it is up to each of us to decide for ourselves. To me it certainly is worth it.

Opinions...

There you go again. R. Santos.:rolleyes:

Welcome to THE LIST. :D

What do you mean? So if we make a comment trying to help somebody and be treated like a criminal we are added to which list?

I think i didn't said anything bad, just that iRacing is expensive, and IT IS!!
I don't think anything you said was 'bad', I just disagree that other sims are necessarily 'superior'.
The guy has limited resources as far as i read (student/no job/no rich parents maybe) and he'll be stuck in iRacing if he doesn't want to spend a lot of money on it!
I think that's why most of us are providing information, and why he asked. He wants to know how much he would need to ask for to get a worthwhile year subscription+content. Maybe he finds it possible, maybe he doesn't. Just giving an opinion without explanation of why doesn't help answer the question much.

Since he's in his last year of school, sounds like he's evaluating if there's a reasonable gift he can request from his parents for the first year, after which presumably he will be able to finance himself if he finds it worth the price. Personally I enjoyed even the rookie content, his mileage may vary.

Ok, thank you guys and sorry anything, you just made me not helping or posting in here at RD anymore... all you guys are illuminated because you prefer iRacing to rF2 or AC for example and if we have a contraditory opinion we're beaten to death/added to "lists", etçª, great world to live in... bye.

It's not that I like iracing better than AC or rF2, it's that none of those offer me equally good ONLINE RACING, and since that part is really important to me I find I enjoy playing iracing more than them despite the fact that I think AC has slightly better physics and ffb.

Telling someone iracing is not worth it because you don't like it is not helping someone, it's merely stating that you don't like it.
If you want to help then explain the reasons why you find other games to be a better choice for you, but try to keep an open mind on the fact that others might not be looking for the exact sane things in a sim that you are.

I didn't said i don't like iRacing, i stated it is expensive and yes it is, point! In relation to MP i've played other games MP in leagues and i allways had great fun, by other side i've found lots of times rammers in iRacing. Online is good but IMO it doesn't deserve the amount of money you pay, specially if you have limited funds!

Over and out!

@Rui Santos

You also said:-

there are lots of superior inexpensive simulators around

Why didn't you list these for the OP, so he would know what alternatives to look out for?

You're what we call here in Portugal "the one that dominates the beast after his death"

Thanks for your kindness, maybe i should've written "cheaper" simulators or something, i'm portuguese, sometimes words don't come easy... Sorry if i hurt your feelings, i know you're trying to keep the war on.

@Rui Santos

You didn't hurt my feelings at all. You were also fine using 'superior inexpensive'.

You just gave some vague advice to the OP, as you didn't share, what in your opinion, are the superior inexpensive alternatives. If you want to help him save his money, tell him which titles to look at.

Had a feeling this might happen hahaha

To sum up:

1. Yes iRacing is expensive
2. Yes I know that and understand that
3. I've worked out that I can cover the subscription cost relatively easily, it's just adding the content on top of that... That's why I was asking if there was more detail on which cars/tracks are $11.95 or $14.95.
5. I will use the current free promo code soon.
6. I already have several other sims so I don't really need to be advised on that
7. I know club racing here is also an alternative to league racing, but that still requires signing up to race on a certain night (which doesn't suit me), rather than being able to race more or less whenever on iRacing (I know that they'll be times when there are more or less people online, but generally speaking you can race whenever).

Hopefully that clears up some stuff :)

He knows that, maybe he'll find out, we have internet today and he seems smarter than you ;)
He probably is, he's a student.

BTW, the 'LIST' that people were referring to you being on, is the one's at the bottom of certain posts, where you can see who has added the likes, dislikes, etc. as you seem to disagree with people just because they have disagreed with you. Not really very smart is it?

He probably is, he's a student.

BTW, the 'LIST' that people were referring to you being on, is the one's at the bottom of certain posts, where you can see who has added the likes, dislikes, etc. as you seem to disagree with people just because they have disagreed with you. Not really very smart is it?

If someone disagrees with you doesn't that mean you disagree with them? Just sayin', although I know what you're talking about :p.

While we're at it, I'll throw my "pre-having-tried-iracing" opinion into the mix, and I'll see if it's the same in a couple of months, when I'll have tried iRacing for a while (even if just on the free content or a little paid stuff). Basically what I'm expecting is not necessarily the best physics or FFB, but pretty good (at least good enough to race realistically and find enjoyable), I'm expecting that the online racing is "the online solution I'm looking for," where I can to a certain extent jump into a race at pretty much whatever time I want (not necessarily 'on demand', just meaning not like leagues or even club racing, where I'm tied to a regular time slot or having to 'book' a time ahead), and finally I'm expecting much cleaner, more regulated and higher quality racing than what you get in the public servers of other sims (not entirely sure what to expect in the rookie classes, but at least when I've worked my way up a bit it should be a lot better than public servers).

I think you are setting the right expectations and you'll find pretty much just what you said.
I find the FFB and physics to be very good, there's nothing about them that makes me want to quit at any point, especially since the recent update to them which took iRacing a huge step up.

A word of warning though if you ever want to buy content.
Some cars/series are not that popular, so you might struggle to find races on some days and times of the day. I've learnt this from experience, for instance I bought the Radical, and while it has some occasional official races (short explanation of that coming) they seem to happen a bit earlier than when I usually like to drive.
In iRacing you need a certain number of people to join a race to make it a "official race", if there's too few, aka a inofficial race, you will still be able to race but you won't gain as much iRating and Safety Rating (I think it's something like 35% or thereabouts). The number of drivers needed vary by class and race length, 6, 8 or 12 required.

There's a way to check a series participation before buying a car though;
Hover over "Series" -> click "Current Series", find the series you are interested in and hit the + sign, then hit "Series Home Page", find and click "Results".
Here you can choose results per week and then see all races that started each day for that week, it will show you "Field Size" to let you know how many participated.
This way you can figure out if a particular series/car historically has had activity on the days and times of the day that you want to race on before you decide to purchase the car.
I reckon there are other ways, but I don't know of any.

I have paid way more than i expected to be paying for iRacing. Almost every penny has been worth it (except the cars i have bought but not raced :p)

But, if you don't have the funds, or as much funds as you like, then plan what you purchase out. I mean you have probably seen iRacing is free for 3 months with this link: http://www.iracing.com/nurburgring1000/ so that can help. But you can download the season schedule (currently s3, s4 schedule wont come out for a few weeks). So once you have got your license class to a certain class, for example C class, and you want to do corvette challenge, think about, what track it goes to each week, and maybe even if other series also race this track in the season. Just some advice i'd give :)

I've attached the s3 schedule.

Attachments

• 2014 Season 3 Schedule.pdf
    133.9 KB · Views: 287
But, if you don't have the funds, or as much funds as you like, then plan what you purchase out. I mean you have probably seen iRacing is free for 3 months with this link: http://www.iracing.com/nurburgring1000/ so that can help. But you can download the season schedule (currently s3, s4 schedule wont come out for a few weeks). So once you have got your license class to a certain class, for example C class, and you want to do corvette challenge, think about, what track it goes to each week, and maybe even if other series also race this track in the season. Just some advice i'd give :)

I've attached the s3 schedule.

Thanks for that, it's helpful (both promotion and schedule). That 3 months free expires on 15th of October, so in order to maximise the time I can use that for (I won't have much time to race until mid-November) I'll use that promotion closer to that date - reminders set all over the place ;)

There's a way to check a series participation before buying a car though;
Hover over "Series" -> click "Current Series", find the series you are interested in and hit the + sign, then hit "Series Home Page", find and click "Results".
Here you can choose results per week and then see all races that started each day for that week, it will show you "Field Size" to let you know how many participated.
This way you can figure out if a particular series/car historically has had activity on the days and times of the day that you want to race on before you decide to purchase the car.
I reckon there are other ways, but I don't know of any.

I'm assuming this is within the members area which I can't access yet. I'll have a look though after I sign up, before purchasing :)

@Cam Stark on closer inspection of the S3 schedule, I'm a little confused. There seem to be series that you can join with a lower licence level than the category it falls under? For example, there's this:

D Class Series
iRacing Global Challenge - 2014 Season 3 - Fixed
Cadillac CTS-V Racecar, Kia Optima
Rookie (4.0) --> Pro/WC (4.0)
Races at 30 past every odd 2 hours and qual at 15 past every hour

Explanation? My guess is that it's saying that you can join as a rookie if you have a Safety Rating of 4.0 or higher?

@Cam Stark on closer inspection of the S3 schedule, I'm a little confused. There seem to be series that you can join with a lower licence level than the category it falls under? For example, there's this:

Explanation? My guess is that it's saying that you can join as a rookie if you have a Safety Rating of 4.0 or higher?
Yes, because when you hit SR 4.0 you are automatically upgraded the next license. The other way to upgrade is to be above 3.0 and have done a minimum of official races on a set day for license upgrades.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%