iRacing Animated Pit Crews to Release December 5th

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Animated Pit Crew 2.jpg

iRacing hinted months ago that animated pit crews would be coming to the simulation, and it looks like December 5th has been confirmed as release date for this cool new feature...

Seeing as modern motorsports can often hang on the pitstop cycle to decide the outcome of a race, it is becoming more and more important for racing simulations to accurately simulate both the effects of tyre and fuel degradation, damage and of course the pitstop itself.

We already have driver swaps as standard in a lot of the current breed of simulation, additionally many of todays sims have some level of pitstop functionality, from simply stopping in a pre defined area and selecting your options to elaborate cut scenes or just simply stationary 2d figures. Well it looks like iRacing are set to take it to a new level in their iRacing simulation with the inclusion of animated pit crews coming this December 5th. Before getting too excited it is worth noting that these new animations will only be available for the headlining NASCAR series, with no confirmation as to if to the other content within the game will receive the same attention in future.

You can check out what the new animated crew looks like in the preview video below;

This new feature will be made available to the simulation as part of the next build update release on December 5th 2017.

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

iRacing Animated Pit Crew 1.jpg
iRacing Animated Pit Crew 3.jpg

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you like the look of the iRacing animated pit crew feature? Looking forward to this being added to the simulation? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
this looks great.
how cool would it be to have pit crews behaving differently in different series/environments depending on pit regulations, also depending on pit job, i.e. just fixing a bit of aero or doing a whole four wheels plus damage repair job. oh yes: and animated driver swaps in long distance racing.

With regards to the animated pit crews, here's a small titbit from a post from Tony Gardner from a few months ago.....

FYI, we started on pit crew animation with the NASCAR Monster Energy Series and we will go from there. Hopefully, with some relatively minor adjustments, we can add several other NASCAR Series fairly quickly and then move on to other series and forms of racing. The biggest part of the project was building the system, animator tools, characters, design, replays, etc. and working out all the issues including dozens of variables and scenarios. Getting the first series done is big. A game of inches making it look good. I wish every pit wall was the same height.

The intention is to add animated crews to other series in iRacing in time, with NASCAR being the chosen series to get first dibs. From what I understand, they don't just want one generic pit crew animation to be used for all series, they want each individual series to have an animated pit crew that looks right and credit to them for that.

This is absolutely hilarious timing.

NASCAR just announced two weeks ago that they were changing the pit crew procedure by limiting teams to one less over-the-wall member. It's part of a bigger initiative to cut costs. But what it means for iRacing is their shiny new pixel perfect system is going to be out of date in just three months time.

That's unfortunate but I would rather have the pit crew out of date than the current ghost crew that changes the boots now.

I'm guessing custom suits will be available for them too? That's gonna look great on broadcasts. It'll look less great when multiple cars pit and only the car in focus gets the full pit crew. Still, small steps. It's a great time to be a sim racer now. I can't wait to see what comes next!

Why oh why in the name of all that is holy in the world of the PC master race.....why can't we have a single player offline version of Iracing? I'd pay good money for an offline version with the same AI as NR2003.:(

It seems like you're the anti-christ if you prefer offline gaming now days. Everything has to be online and connected.

Anyone ever play Assassin's Creed Unity online? It's hilarious. A stealth game where you run around with 3 bell ends in multi-coloured jackets, who will do their best to alert every guard in France to your presence. What fun online mode is!

It seems like you're the anti-christ if you prefer offline gaming now days. Everything has to be online and connected.

Anyone ever play Assassin's Creed Unity online? It's hilarious. A stealth game where you run around with 3 bell ends in multi-coloured jackets, who will do their best to alert every guard in France to your presence. What fun online mode is!
Yes, you are correct about most Gaming is set up for online connectivity and interaction amongst real humans...but as someone in the older generation I ONLY play Sim games and nothing else and personally like to drive / race at my own pace when I fire up the Sim of my choice.:D

Last edited:
Why oh why in the name of all that is holy in the world of the PC master race.....why can't we have a single player offline version of Iracing? I'd pay good money for an offline version with the same AI as NR2003.:(

Sign up for iRacing, join a race and imagine that you are racing against the most human-like AI in the world. Problem solved.
New users can get three months for $5 with promo code PR-GRC: http://www.iracing.com/membership

Last edited:
Animated Pit Crew coming tomorrow (5th) for:-

NASCAR Camping World Chevrolet Silverado
NASCAR Camping World Toyota Tundra
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Chevrolet SS
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Ford Fusion
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Toyota Camry
NASCAR Truck Series Chevrolet Silverado circa 2013
NASCAR XFINITY Chevrolet Camaro
NASCAR XFINITY Ford Mustang
NASCAR XFINITY Toyota Camry

Animated Pit Crew will appear whenever you're pitting with one of the above vehicles on a track where that vehicle should be racing competitively.

Sign up for iRacing, join a race and imagine that you are racing against the most human-like AI in the world. Problem solved.
As an existing member of iRacing for approx 7 years, that would be indeed a great concept...however, the problem is AI do not crash into you on purpose and ruin your race, swear at you for accidentally cutting them off or being slow...the list could go on etc etc....as for iRacing getting AI, I know they are never going to get AI as this was just a fun quip said with a smile on my face.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D...but anyway, looking forward to the Pit Crews when I get into a race.
A good case in point would be this You Tube video of 'Nascar Champ Tony Stewart putting 2 people in their place after a heated exchange in words...hilarious!

Last edited:
As an existing member of iRacing for approx 7 years, that would be indeed a great concept...however, the problem is AI do not crash into you on purpose and ruin your race, swear at you for accidentally cutting them off or being slow...the list could go on etc etc....as for iRacing getting AI, I know they are never going to get AI as this was just a fun quip said with a smile on my face.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D...but anyway, looking forward to the Pit Crews when I get into a race.

I had great racing on the lowest split in GT3, where many claim it’s impossible to have good, fair battles. Sure, you’ll be taken out eventually, but that’s racing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back