iRacing Alternatives

Shovas

Premium
I'm okay with monthly fees *or* pay for content but not both. That said, are there any iRacing alternatives that provide roughly the same features and functionality that are one or the other?

I'm particularly interested in online racing with enough people to get a race going anytime, accurate physics (as much as possible anyway), laser scanned tracks (for their effect on physics and ffb), and a good selection of quality tracks and cars.

So, Asseto Corsa, rFactor, SimRaceway, etc. Do any of these or others fit the bill?

Thanks

These topics here at RD makes me sad... All topics are like soap series story lines that keep going on forever...

In summary:
person A: "This sim sucks, because reasons."
person B: "This sim is good, because reasons."
person A: "I disagree."
person C: "I hate this sim and everybody should and will know it. I think the physics suck."
person A: "Yes, [insert other sim, probably AC] will beat iRacing."
person D: "I hate this sim because it's business model is different."
etc.

It's not weird that the iRacing area is dead, compared to the other areas here on RD. The only things I read here is complaining and whining. It's a hostile environment.
I don't like things about AC for various reasons, but I'm not constant complaining over there.

If you hate iRacing, good for you. If you like iRacing, good for you too. Just stop trying to convince each other like people trying to convince political party A is better than B. Or faith A is better than B. It's useless and never anything good came out of it. Everything in life has it's pro's and cons. That also applies to racing sims. Just enjoy the variety of racing sims that's out there!
i try to keep it in at least fairly objective terms; you can talk about feature levels, MP performance in these terms; i can at least explain my take on the pricing from my pov which might help some others who are (rightfully) offput by it at face value. i dont see much antagonism going on in this thread...it dont see 'iracing iz best, u r idiot' or 'iceracing physx so unrealistc' nonsense. i just see a lot of informative/interesting posts myself.

but def agree about there being plenty of race sims out there, each with strong & weak points; of course none of them are perfect, or even close, but if none of them suit you...this isnt the genre for you.

And this sums up how I feel. Not a single racing game/sim has nailed every aspect. All of them have pros and cons and at times, it can be frustrating to have one you really love not check every box but I do try to enjoy every one of them for what they do offer, and I have a long list these days of racing games/sims that I enjoy.

Until now, discussion has been both civil and informative for some (I recall many unpleasant, offensive threads in the AC and pCARS RD forums - that's the type of thing we have managed to steer clear from). That's the goal, here, to have free debate and give information to each other.

Exchange of ideas and opinions in a polite, civil manner is positive.

If you and poster Hekkens seem to dislike this, why post here at all?

i dont see much antagonism going on in this thread...it dont see 'iracing iz best, u r idiot' or 'iceracing physx so unrealistc' nonsense. i just see a lot of informative/interesting posts myself.

Precisely. The type of debate that ought to be encouraged.

Until now, discussion has been both civil and informative for some (I recall many unpleasant, offensive threads in the AC and pCARS RD forums - that's the type of thing we have managed to steer clear from). That's the goal, here, to have free debate and give information to each other.

Exchange of ideas and opinions in a polite, civil manner is positive.

If you and poster Hekkens seem to dislike this, why post here at all?

Precisely. The type of debate that ought to be encouraged.

Do you have a problem? I have said nothing other than where I stand on all current racing games/sims. I post here because I enjoy racing games/sims and that's what this public forum is for. Whatever your opinion is on whatever game you choose to talk about matters not at all to me quite honestly. I'm really not sure why you addressed my statement at all.

just having to may a subscription fee & face potential ban should be enough of a gate to keep away griefers. much less the rather steep sub fees iracing asks for.

I recall several (detailed) threads over at iRacing and NoGrip forums about groups of organized wreckers - I watched replays on YT of two such groups, either wrecking others or blocking everyone at the exit of the pits.

How many bans were issued for that?

iR needs to be more...assertive. Kick out the idiots for good (not just those that bother people in the forums).

i try to keep it in at least fairly objective terms; you can talk about feature levels, MP performance in these terms; i can at least explain my take on the pricing from my pov which might help some others who are (rightfully) offput by it at face value. i dont see much antagonism going on in this thread...it dont see 'iracing iz best, u r idiot' or 'iceracing physx so unrealistc' nonsense. i just see a lot of informative/interesting posts myself.

but def agree about there being plenty of race sims out there, each with strong & weak points; of course none of them are perfect, or even close, but if none of them suit you...this isnt the genre for you.
I'm not talking about this thread, but this part of the forums. Just check the other topics and you'll see.
But I'm done here at RD.

Buy 1 Get 2 Free iRacing Promo Code: PR-PR3MONTHS0514

I emailed iRacing asking to renew under the terms of a new membership but they said they couldn't do it and didn't offer me anything better. I was going to renew at full price but came across this which almost matches their $89.50 for 2 years deal price per month.

I'm happy again :) I'll take advantage of their Black Friday sale when it comes around too.

Alot on Iracing who take themselves far too serious and start letting off f-bombs even when someone was trying to be courteous and made a mistake that wasn't designed to harm the rest of the pack.
Then everyone gangs up on him like a pack of raging dogs.

Hey number whatever you douchebag.

One of the most valuable lessons, life lessons even, I've learned by playing iRacing and attempting to keep a high safety rating (currently 4.80+) solely in the rookies is to ask myself "what did I do wrong there?" even when I did something thinking I was doing something nice. I've learned a lot about what to do on the track by just asking how I could have done it differently to get a better outcome. I think it's actually a great perspective to carry throughout your daily life. It also helps develop a tough skin. :)

It's not weird that the iRacing area is dead, compared to the other areas here on RD. The only things I read here is complaining and whining. It's a hostile environment.
It doesn't particularly surprise me, since iRacing itself has such an active internal forum. That means a lower proportion of active iRacing members, and a higher proportion of non-subscribers which will also mean more disenfranchised former subscribers.

Though even on the official forums you can end up with a bunch of hostility. Much of it in response to hostile first posts, but it's sad just how much the hide post button is needed sometimes.

Ye the fact iRacing has its own forums is a another big positive in my opinion, about 6 months ago i had never really realised the whole forums/league section of the sim and purely raced nothing but official races.
Now its the opposite and i generally purely use official races for a fun race or to practise for upcoming league races. As part of the UK&I forums its greatly run and this season i've even jointly taken over running of a league. I often wonder how the other countries forums fair in comparison. I hope they are equally well run. In coming weeks we have things like world cup practice all with people on hand willing to help, share and aid others.
Yes theres always gonna be a few bad eggs, that just life.

For that person above saying they getting shouted at etc for making an honest mistake, dont let it harm you, learn from it and move on if it was your mistake. My no.1 tip is map a button to mute all.

Sorry gone way off op topic. lol If i was to recommend a another racer it would probably be Reiza Studio's game Stock Car, lots of cars, tracks & good AI.

My safety rating is quite good and I always strive to be courteous but you always get an Fbomb here or there if you get into a slide and happen to unfortunately knock a few cars out.

"good one" or "thanks"
LOL.

Some people need anger management classes.

P.S. I see on you tube trollers are starting to infiltrate Iracing to spoil races on purpose whic is the complete other side of the coin.

Bloody humans.
Why are we so unkind?

I asked myself the same question as the OP, as I currently prefer AC over iRacing with regards to race and car feeling, but as I can usually only drive late night, e.g. club events at RD do not work for me. So I am really thinking going back to iRacing.

Does anybody here have any experience with services like Race2Play? How does that compare to iRacing?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back