iRacing: AI Development Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing AI Update.jpg

Following a community enquiry about the status of AI development in iRacing, RaceDepartment reached out for a comment from those in the know...

Behind the scenes, the new AI code has been in development for the online racing simulation for a couple of years now, in fact I managed to get some seat time with the WIP version of the AI build back at the 2018 Sim Racing Expo, but a little bit of confusion about the current development direction appears to have taken seed within the community in recent days.

Earlier this week I noticed one of our community members mention a curious comment from the iRacing customer services, who noted that AI development within the sim isn't something on the immediate priority plan list. Curious, the community member in question posted a comment asking if anyone knows more about this potential change in development direction by the title.

Having thought about it myself, I noticed we hadn't actually had much in the way of news about the AI for quite a while, which led me to reach out to our friends at iRacing for an update directly from the people behind the sim itself.

Fear not, AI is still very much on the cards for a release "sooner rather than later". What's more, a career mode is also in the works!

"Yes, I can confirm we are definitely on with development of AI for iRacing. In fact we have been for a couple of years" said Executive Director of iRacing, Tony Gardner.​

"We hope to release it sooner rather than later. Although even after we release it, just like everything we will continue to improve it, both the AI itself and the career mode/features around it.

It really just looks look any other iRacing race, if we are doing it correctly that is how it should look. In fact we have put out plenty of videos already using AI, we just didn’t make much of a point that it was AI. For example showing off a new piece of content, like a car or track...."

So there you go folks, iRacing will indeed be getting an AI update in the near future... plus a nice and unexpected bonus in the form of some kind of career mode.. rumours be gone!

For more news about iRacing, head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

What would be interesting if you could use the AI opposed to 'real' drivers when building your status. One of the biggest gripes I think is while trying to get your license to advance it only takes an over anxious driver to get into you and ruin it.

There you go. Take anything you hear from customer support with a grain of salt. They likely do not know much about features under development OR, if they do, have been specifically instructed not to comment on them. This is a litigious world - putting anything in writing that can even be remotely construed as a promise or agreement with an existing or prospective customer is asking for trouble.

I might subscribe now! Multiplayer isn't my kind of thing.
If you don't use multiplayer service, investing in content (plus subscription) is hardly justified. I have subscription, but don't see what is so special about iRacing (except multiplayer). Content itself is literally 50+ more expensive than AC Ultimate and it also has quality content, mostly laser scanned tracks etc.
They are upgrading sim the, adding AI , damage model, but so are other devs. For me it's a ripoff even with MP service.

I had a F3 race about an hour ago at Suzuka(my first iracing race since 2017, i had too much connection issues), they AI cars were so weird, i was starting P20(did not participate in Q), and even before reaching T1 i was P11 as all of them were spinning on their grid, then 6 of them crashed in the Ss through T2-T4 and i finished P5, they need heavy tweaking to at least be able to start a F3 car with new tyre model, what kind of AI can't do that? that was such a lonely race from first lap's T4.
Wait! they weren't AIs? oops sorry, i wasn't around since 2017 and didn't know that, i should have found out when i heard one of them was laughing on radio:p

But i'm really looking forward to AI, that will definitely help me, it will be a good thing to do some practice-races for me, to avoid too much stress during real races, specially for someone who drive with one hand, we freak out way faster when someone is chasing us :D in almost all the driving games i'm practicing for multiplayer by racing the AI for a few times at that specific track with the same settings(weather,time of the day and...) having this feature in iRacing surely will help me a lot.

I had a F3 race about an hour ago at Suzuka(my first iracing race since 2017, i had too much connection issues), they AI cars were so weird, i was starting P20(did not participate in Q), and even before reaching T1 i was P11 as all of them were spinning on their grid, then 6 of them crashed in the Ss through T2-T4 and i finished P5, they need heavy tweaking to at least be able to start a F3 car with new tyre model, what kind of AI can't do that? that was such a lonely race from first lap's T4.
Wait! they weren't AIs? oops sorry, i wasn't around since 2017 and didn't know that, i should have found out when i heard one of them was laughing on radio:p

But i'm really looking forward to AI, that will definitely help me, it will be a good thing to do some practice-races for me, to avoid too much stress during real races, specially for someone who drive with one hand, we freak out way faster when someone is chasing us :D in almost all the driving games i'm practicing for multiplayer by racing the AI for a few times at that specific track with the same settings(weather,time of the day and...) having this feature in iRacing surely will help me a lot.

What a confusing Post to be honest its impossible to be in an online race in IRacing and register for it and thinking you Race AI Really?? I do not wish to offend you but I cant believe your story

The AI laughing is a special iRacing feature to make it more like multiplayer. It also comes with cursing, auto kick and bodily harm threats. :)

What a confusing Post to be honest its impossible to be in an online race in IRacing and register for it and thinking you Race AI Really?? I do not wish to offend you but I cant believe your story
Sorry, i was being sarcastic, comparing some of the drivers with some alpha-phase AIs that still need too much development:D it was crazy that too many people could not even departure from their grid slot or being unaware that they are starting the race on new tyre model, i mean i'm the worst of drivers in term of pace/skill and i was at the lowest split, but that was like racing a Pre-Alpha AI :D i'm sure the current level of iracing AI's development would be ok to use right now, it couldn't be worst than what i have experienced(the race with the exact events i said, did happen), they should deploy it even in its current state and develop it along the way:cool:

Last edited:
Sorry, i was being sarcastic, comparing some of the drivers with some alpha-phase AIs that still need too much development:D it was crazy that too many people could not even departure from their grid slot or being unaware that they are starting the race on new tyre model, i mean i'm the worst of drivers in term of pace/skill and i was at the lowest split, but that was like racing a Pre-Alpha AI :D i'm sure the current level of iracing AI's development would be ok to use right now, it couldn't be worst than what i have experienced(the race with the exact events i said, did happen), they should deploy it even in its current state and develop it along the way:cool:

Haha...well than its a good sarcastic joke;) shame on me like I said I do not wish to offend you with my previous post....I just dont get your joke at that moment Sorry

Last edited:
Looks like any iRacing race huh? Well, I hope it's iRating based like if I choose 1000 iRating, I should expect a crash fest and 5000 iRating should mean I cannot win. If it is like that, then it's alright. Though not enough to pull me back yet.

I really hope that AI will come soon. Waiting for this since so long.

I also hope that the implementation will go for as realistic AI physics as possible. And that the implementation will make full use of multi core/thread processors!

And don't worry if the first version is not perfect. It can be tuned afterwards. Please deliver quickly now...

I will be definitely be buying IRacing if and when AI is implemented. I simply don't have the time I used to. I'm hoping the AI has a defensive driving line like (RFactor 2). AI that stays put on the racing line is predictable at best and takes away from the racing experience.
I have high hopes for the guys over at IRacing , Looking forward to what they can bring to the table ! ;)

"We hope to release it sooner rather than later.
Sooner...SOONER...sooner...S o O N e r....SOONER...I suppose it's better than later;):)...sillyness aside, I am really looking forward to that day when AI finally arrives and will re-sub quickly:)...The addition of AI should possibly future-proof iRacing plus get some extra clientele...surely:thumbsup:...and if it is as good as rF2 or Automobilista I will be more than happy:inlove:

Last edited:
View attachment 324864
Following a community enquiry about the status of AI development in iRacing, RaceDepartment reached out for a comment from those in the know...

Behind the scenes, the new AI code has been in development for the online racing simulation for a couple of years now, in fact I managed to get some seat time with the WIP version of the AI build back at the 2018 Sim Racing Expo, but a little bit of confusion about the current development direction appears to have taken seed within the community in recent days.

Earlier this week I noticed one of our community members mention a curious comment from the iRacing customer services, who noted that AI development within the sim isn't something on the immediate priority plan list. Curious, the community member in question posted a comment asking if anyone knows more about this potential change in development direction by the title.

Having thought about it myself, I noticed we hadn't actually had much in the way of news about the AI for quite a while, which led me to reach out to our friends at iRacing for an update directly from the people behind the sim itself.

Fear not, AI is still very much on the cards for a release "sooner rather than later". What's more, a career mode is also in the works!

"Yes, I can confirm we are definitely on with development of AI for iRacing. In fact we have been for a couple of years" said Executive Director of iRacing, Tony Gardner.​

"We hope to release it sooner rather than later. Although even after we release it, just like everything we will continue to improve it, both the AI itself and the career mode/features around it.

It really just looks look any other iRacing race, if we are doing it correctly that is how it should look. In fact we have put out plenty of videos already using AI, we just didn’t make much of a point that it was AI. For example showing off a new piece of content, like a car or track...."

So there you go folks, iRacing will indeed be getting an AI update in the near future... plus a nice and unexpected bonus in the form of some kind of career mode.. rumours be gone!

For more news about iRacing, head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

my dream AI in my Iracing!!! omg!!!!!
You would have to be a fool to sub to Iracing.......... period.

Hmmm, I wonder if this was sparked by that AI bit on the NASCAR Heat 4 thread :D
It's good to hear that there is something in the works, unfortunately for most people in rural North America, Australia, some aren't blessed with the advantage of high speed internet.

As for me, I'm just too lazy to play online. I ran a couple seasons in R3E GT3 class and placed fairly well, but I don't have time anymore. And iRacing requires a lot of that.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 458 39.3%