iRacing Advice if possible (Class D)

I just got out of rookie in both oval and road this morning and got my Class D. I know I could ask these questions in the iRacing forum, but I'd rather do it here since you all are much friendlier. So here goes

1. My Safety rating was at 3.0 (I got promoted) but now has dropped down to 2.47 for ovals and 2.58 in Road and I haven't run anything in class D yet. Why did that happen? I figured it would stay at 3.0.
2. Should I run some of the Legends races in oval and some of the Production Car Challenge races in Rookie or should I focus all my effort on Class D stuff now? Does my safety rating need to be 4.0 before I can anything in class D?
3. Which series do you all recommend for Class D for both oval and road?

Thanks so much for any help. It's much appreciated as always.

Dave, on the road side the Skip Barber is a good series but I suspect as it runs every hour people tend to use races as their practice sessions, which often can cause a few crashes.

Try the Spec Racer Ford, great community, fun, usually clean races, lots of help from experienced drivers.
Check out their forums.

I've run a few laps in the skippy so far and enjoyed it. It's much easier to drive than in rF2 and I can see it being a heck of a lot of fun online. I plan to buy the rest of the series for it. That Spec Racer Ford scares me. I ran a lap or two at Okayama and lost the ass end several times. I guess I need good setups for it. I haven't run many races in D so far, mainly time trials. I need to be able to run each track with zero incidents in a time trial before I even think about racing it. I've done well with the Road Side of Class D, but on the oval side, this week is Darlington and I can't make it through a single time trial without earning my Darlington Stripe in the National car at least once. The last Time Trial I had, I earned it 3 times and resulted in no increase of the SR but at least I've gotten my MPR and my SR up to the point where I'll get a promotion at the end of the season. Have any of you all done the Kia Cup? It's at Brands this week (one of my most favorite tracks) and I'm curious about it. I love driving the WTCC cars in RaceRoom so if it's close to that (in both feel and speed), I think I'll pick it up. Again thank you all for the tips. I really wish I'd tried iRacing much earlier and I could have saved buying 3 or 4 titles that now gather dust.

i am a kia regular. it is quite different as it is front wheel and eats tires like there is no tomorrow or has no grip if it is cold. the racing is great and the chaps from british sim racing (bsr) have set up a great league or two which can be found at facebook, links are in the kia forum at iracing. touring car means there is bound to be a little contact here or there, once you get to know the other players, that's fine. also, kia only runs good grids at certain times (see my participation thread in kia forum).

the gt1 is indeed quite a piece of cake compared to the gt3. i love it bet never got the nerve up to actually run an event.
the dw12 road is again huge fun but soooo difficult to do for more than five laps on end (at least for me).
the dw12 oval fixed is fun but also where you have to be prepared to be stupidly wrecked every fourth race or so, even in slightly higher grids (never done better than 4th or 5th out of six grids, so don't know about the top tiers). this series has high participation.

with most of the cars that do not have heavy participation the same thing happens: there is a small group of chaps who know them inside out and blast you to smithereens:
- be prepared to shed iR like there is no tomorrow the first couple of weeks
- always finish every race to minimize losses by picking up positions from crashes
- scour the forum for setups and race advice
- be a nice chap and most forum communities will share freely
- try to get someone to explain the car to you in a practice session, many blokes are willing to get online with you and give advice (some take a lot of money for it ... i was amazed to find out, actually)
- race a lot in lower classes first to get used to online gameplay the iRacing way (each game attracts slightly different players, so each online gaming experience is different)

keep asking intelligent questions :)

Thank you @Eckhart von Glan !! The Kia sounds like a lot of fun. I went ahead and added it and the rest of the Skippy tracks to my cart. I think I'm going to hold off on getting C Stuff for now (Ruf, BES, Indycar Fixed, GT1, and Truck Series fixed) but if I do add it all, I get an extra 5 percent off for the 40 pieces of content offer.

Eckhart, I have to thank you again. I ran 4 races in the Kia today and had an absolute blast. The folks are super helpful and friendly and it was definitely enjoyable. I plan to keep running it except for Zolder (hate that track with a passion) I enjoy the Skip as well but couldn't really get a handle on Homestead. I plan to run it next week at Spa (feel far more comfortable there).

Man oh man. This Star Mazda is as fun a car as I've ever driven. I've always enjoyed the smaller open wheels. I ran 10 laps or so at Road America (my favorite track) and then ran 10 at the Glen as well. I figured it would be tough to drive compared to the skippy, but it's much easier.

Finally got my C in oval so now the fun begins there I suppose with the Trucks and the Indycars (prefer Indy). I've seen mention that Indycar has a Road series as well but I cannot find that. Is that something that only happens a season or two a year? I'm fine with running ovals but was looking forward to running Road America, Mid Ohio, Laguna, and others in a Road Series with the Indycar. I see there's an Indy Winter Series (is that what I'm thinking that I've seen?)

Finally got my C in oval so now the fun begins there I suppose with the Trucks and the Indycars (prefer Indy). I've seen mention that Indycar has a Road series as well but I cannot find that. Is that something that only happens a season or two a year? I'm fine with running ovals but was looking forward to running Road America, Mid Ohio, Laguna, and others in a Road Series with the Indycar. I see there's an Indy Winter Series (is that what I'm thinking that I've seen?)
That's the one. Indy Winter Series.

I've only just discovered the thread, sorry.
Did you try out the ruf? I run the ruf cup and IMSA regularly and I must say its on average a great bunch of drivers with wildly varying skill levels. Certainly worth a try.

Did you try out the ruf? I run the ruf cup and IMSA regularly and I must say its on average a great bunch of drivers with wildly varying skill levels. Certainly worth a try.
Come race with us on Sundays. GT3 cars at Laguna Seca this week. Check the thread. They are hosted sessions so there is no thread to your iRating or Safety Rating.

I picked up the Ruf today and ran a few laps and enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation. I guess I will start it next week (didn't pick up Oran Park). I also think I'll run the Ruf in the RD Races as well. It seems to drive pretty well.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 381 39.7%