iRacing | A Surprise New McLaren 570s GT4 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have dropped another new piece of content to the simulation today, making available the GT4 specification McLaren 570s in something of an unexpected move from the developer.

We already had the pleasure of a bumper collection of new content as part of the last big build update from earlier in the week, however it seems like the American team over at iRacing had a little surprise hiding up their sleeves for fans to get all excited about, and today they announced, then released a brand-new GT4 car to the title - the potent little McLaren 570s GT4!

Having kept this pretty well under wraps during the development phase, the new car will certainly represent a refreshing change of pace for players of the simulation, with GT4 being one of the less populated classes currently available, and should produce some good opportunities for close and hard fought racing within the title.

The new car has been made available this morning, and is available to purchase now from the iRacing store.

Original Source: iRacing

iRacing is a multiplayer racing simulation, available exclusively on PC.

iRacing Footer.jpg

Last edited:
I can have league races in other titles like AMS2 and rF2, that are also more fun to drive, but I don't like schedules and duties in sim-racing. And when iRacers think it's okay, that all vintage series are dead since years, they suffer from Stockholm Syndrom. Just make them free or at least for 2,50 bucks and we see, that they will revive. It just needs a spark to put on the fire. But it seems not only the iRacing stuff is stubborn and refuse innovation and more diversity.

No need to be insulting or condescending to those that don't want to race vintage series as often as you. I like vintage cars. A lot. The car that hooked me on sims was the formula classic in AMS 1 (essentially an unofficial McLaren MP4/4). I own the Lotus 79 in iRacing...but I still don't drive it, nor do I even hotlap it often.

My personal reasons:
1) driving vintage cars to the limit (read: H-pattern shifting) take more out of you than other cars, especially when you get on higher end hardware. It was a piece of cake on a G27, not so much on current gear.
2) I'm no alien, but given the way the iRating system works, I'd rather not tank my score on a car I don't have enough hours on to be competitive (enter reason 1 again).
3) The modern open wheelers are also fun and scratch that itch for me. Nothing about being brainwashed, I just enjoy the process of racing, the cars matter but not as much as the battles and strategy involved. I personally think the whole "vintage good, modern bad" mentality is more of a brainwashing than anything else. Not an attack, just my thoughts.

It's a welcome addition however are we still racing on ice?

LOL...I don't think it feels like ice based on the cars I drive. Your mileage may vary.

The GT3-cars feel IMO very planted now in iRacing and I can't spin them. Some might laugh, but coming from AMS2 they feel simcade-ish, but that's maybe how running computers are. I find them too easy to drive (bought the Lambo) and prefer other series. But when watching the faster guys, text-book driving-lines needed to go fast and no tricks like in other titles.

The GT4-cars are IMO quite a bit more lively, but the McLaren the least and you can hammer the throttle down on exit without slip similar to the Lambo GT3. It also has the most understeer of the three, but 'healthy' understeer, more lack of unwanted lift-off oversteer to keep it in the safe-zone. iRacing understeer is more similar to AMS2 understeer. You can steer more, but it slows the cars down and will overheat the tyres. In AMS2 it's more prominent in the FFB what the limit is from the sidewalls and FFB-cues of it. In iRacing it's still listening to the tyres. When they make this more prominent brush-sound, better straighten the car, because when the tail comes, no chance to catch it. The McLaren I prefer in AMS2 because it's more challenging, the Porsche I prefer in iRacing because it's better.

I'm testing all three GT4's atm around Hockenheim and get rather similar lap-times about a sec slower than the fastest, so the BOP seems okay. The BMW is the most tricky to drive with it's low rpm torque and lift-off oversteer. I might take that for the future, since there are also two series with this car.

No need to be insulting or condescending to those that don't want to race vintage series as often as you. I like vintage cars. A lot. The car that hooked me on sims was the formula classic in AMS 1 (essentially an unofficial McLaren MP4/4). I own the Lotus 79 in iRacing...but I still don't drive it, nor do I even hotlap it often.

My personal reasons:
1) driving vintage cars to the limit (read: H-pattern shifting) take more out of you than other cars, especially when you get on higher end hardware. It was a piece of cake on a G27, not so much on current gear.
2) I'm no alien, but given the way the iRating system works, I'd rather not tank my score on a car I don't have enough hours on to be competitive (enter reason 1 again).
3) The modern open wheelers are also fun and scratch that itch for me. Nothing about being brainwashed, I just enjoy the process of racing, the cars matter but not as much as the battles and strategy involved. I personally think the whole "vintage good, modern bad" mentality is more of a brainwashing than anything else. Not an attack, just my thoughts.

Sorry, but when I'm asking for more free content to see some dead series running again, I didn't expect so much headwind and find this ridiculous. With the Lotus 79 I only did three laps around Brand Hatch during the Maintainance-Testdrive time and even with h-shifter it was easier to handle than the F3, which I hate for it's unpredictible handling. My personal experience in iRacing is: the more tricky a car is to handle, the least chances getting punted in the first lap and generally more clean races, because it's more about surviving than racing against each other and it keeps the many idiots out that are very prominent in the GT3 and GT4. iRacing is full of people who can't drive or greedy after iRating and the more easy the cars handle, the more greedy and dirty it is. Certainly always wise to do a good qualifying-lap to get more in front and more far away from potential trouble.

I think you need to dial in your ffb or adjust your driving technics.

The last time I found any of the cars difficult to handle was when they first implemented the the new tire model and it took several laps to heat up, which was adjusted last spring if I am correct?
Personally I've found all the cars very planted.

I think you need to dial in your ffb or adjust your driving technics.

The last time I found any of the cars difficult to handle was when they first implemented the the new tire model and it took several laps to heat up, which was adjusted last spring if I am correct?
Personally I've found all the cars very planted.

Yeah it was around that time I signed up. If they made it better; then great. I was expecting after 20 laps the Cayman would be 'heated' up. I mean all my tires were green. I can race ACC just fine however their tire model is light years ahead of iRacing. And from what I have heard form real racers on YouTube rfactor is where it is for FFB. I wish all three of those companies would just come together and put forth their best attributes. Imagine the Monster SIM we'd have?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back