iRacing | 2020 Season 1 Update is Here - Introduces Offline AI!

F_B

Premium
Germany
I'm not sure this car is everyone's cup of tea, but i'm having fun with it.

giphy.gif

EDIT: I just saw this on the official iRacing News: "You can also download a desktop shortcut to be able to access Beta UI without having to log in. "
So now Im not so sure it is not possible to run against AIs offline:p
Don't know, but I guess this is just a shortcut past the old home which has been running side by side with the "new" UI for some time now, which in turn is the only way to get into an AI race. You must be logged into your iRacing account to access the new UI, it's just that you let them store your log in data, I guess, so I think at this point there is no way to do purely offline races. As for being able to run tests while the new stuff is uploaded every three months, you also have to log in to an account, your testing account, so I figure this is online, too. I cannot remember being able to run the game while they are working on it, but then again, I don't think I tried these past five years or so, so I may be wrong.

Every time I see news about this sim I slightly cringe inside, followed with the foul feeling of being ripped off...
Such a money grabbing venture, it's laughable.

After spending hundreds of $$ on fees and content, I can't believe these people are expecting me to pay membership on OFFLINE RACING, TOO!!! In which world are you living in?

First of all they are waaayyyy overpriced for offering a mediocre and steril product in terms of road feel and atmosphere, no customer service at all, sneakingly adjusting settings in my account to "automatic membership renewal" after I've distinctively switched it to "off" 3 years prior and all of a sudden it's back to "automatic"? Then having to deal with them arguing about it, trying to refuse the refund until finally getting them to issue it after mentioning that I was ready to hand this affair over to my lawyer (which I was, out of principle...).

Yes, online racing is dope and the playbacks are great quality, but come on, get real for gods sake. Look around you and at least make the off-line hot-lapping and practice features available for active and inactive members who have spent a lot of money on your product, like every other sim does.

Also, on a side note, you'd create a lot more revenue since inactive members would then still purchase new content, even me (at least on my birthday and Xmas ;-)), but I guess people with a greedy attitude are partly blind to opportunity...

Alright, that's my rant for the day, but I had to get it out of my system. Thx, I feel better now. God bless!

Indeed it's crazy, it's almost like their a company wanting to make profits and don't work for free.

Hah, exactly!

If you're goal as a sim racer is to race offline with AI, while spending the least amount of money, there are better alternatives! Go pester those developers to fill in the gaps that you see in those sims.

Asking iRacing to do 1-time fee offline game is like asking Ferrari to make an economical, family commuter wagon. It's not their business model. You aren't their target customer.

Where I see the value in iRacing's AI is filling out grids when participation is low, allowing some points to be handed out during a race that would otherwise be unofficial. This would significantly help with multi-class races... and can lead to fun custom races like human-driven LMP1's and a grid full of 40 AI GT3s.

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
I think it was Steve Meyers(or the other one) who when AI was first mentioned promissed that the AI bots would (ofcourse) never be allowed into official races among human drivers.
But my own guess is that its only a matter of time.:roflmao:

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
.. so I think at this point there is no way to do purely offline races. As for being able to run tests while the new stuff is uploaded every three months, you also have to log in to an account, your testing account, so I figure this is online, too. I cannot remember being able to run the game while they are working on it, but then again, I don't think I tried these past five years or so, so I may be wrong.
Conserning the first one about running purely offline with AIs my first guess was also - No way!
But then after reading the quoted iRacing info I got uncertain.
Conserning the second one about using testing mode "offline" while updating you are probably also right that this is/was not completely offline - because as I recall it you in some way had to login first to be able to do it.

M D Gourley

Premium
New Zealand
Re-Subbed after a 2 year layoff just waiting for the AI to show up,....lucky they were having a Black Friday deal so I was happy....and I did not have to purchase any new items to try out the new AI.
More than happy with the AI performance and even at the Default performance level they still kicked my butt:roflmao::roflmao:...will have to learn how to reduce that so I can keep up:laugh:.

I like Iracing but mostly for the oval stuff. But with a busy life you won't get the proper bang for your buck. When i first joined i racing i race like 5-6 hours a day couple of years ago, because i just had that time so it was well spent. On my last 3 months sub i raced maybe 9 or 10 races because work got in the way and that money was wasted. The thing which would satisfy a lot of people would be like a game time card for minutes or races. So you can buy 100 hours in advance and use it whenever you got the time. But it would have to be ingame time and not sitting on their platform waiting for a race to happen in 30 minutes or reading the forums.

Dave Thayer

Premium
Well if what BillyMitchel says is true about still being a subscription thing for the AI venue, I will never be doing Iracing. RaceRoom was expensive enough and I can do offline single player. Now awaiting the release of AMS2 and back to doing my current offline racing games. Iracing is too much cost for the little time I would devote to it. Leave it for the people that can race hours on end with the game.

Nick Hill

Premium
Denver, USA
I like Iracing but mostly for the oval stuff. But with a busy life you won't get the proper bang for your buck. When i first joined i racing i race like 5-6 hours a day couple of years ago, because i just had that time so it was well spent. On my last 3 months sub i raced maybe 9 or 10 races because work got in the way and that money was wasted. The thing which would satisfy a lot of people would be like a game time card for minutes or races. So you can buy 100 hours in advance and use it whenever you got the time. But it would have to be ingame time and not sitting on their platform waiting for a race to happen in 30 minutes or reading the forums.

That's actually a really clever idea you've got there. Someone more clever than me may be able to poke holes in it, but it sounds like an intriguing alternative to someone like me whose sim time varies wildly from week to week.

The new AI is very good.Raced side by side with a car through the last corner at Lime Rock.Most AI I have raced against just lift & get out of it once you drive down the inside.
The options in the race setup menu are comprehensive.You can setup different rosters of up to 60 cars/drivers with customizable names,paint schemes & characteristics.So you could potentially set up a season of Porsche Supercup & race against the same drivers with correct paint schemes & you can also choose or create your own points system.
Great time to be a painter.

D

Deleted member 205301

In which world are we living ? ! How is it possible to have some guys thinking AI "have to" be free of charge ? guys ? seriously ? iracing is a pay-to-use sim, what do you misunderstand ? "pay-to use" !!!! Do I have no bills if I don't use my internet connection ? no. Do I have no rent if I'm travelling ? no. ...plz, use your brains (you know, the thing inside your head), don't be kids....
The more hilaricious fact is some of these guys are using VR (yeah, strange thing, you have 1000$ to spend for that + 500$ for the GC, but you don't have 90$/year for iracing.... meanwhile you are spending each year about 200$ on "new games" you use 3 monthes....)
@+++===+++ PS : every time I come on an iracing thread here, and everytime it's the same....boring, very boring...

F_B

Premium
Germany
If done correctly (with block paths for example) Rfactor 2s AI offers a great challenge and is a lot of fun. Also the Raceroom AI can be really good.

Yesterday I had some time to try the new AI in Iracing and for a beta they are very good already. They try to overtake, they don’t hesitate when you slow down (hello Assetto Corsa), they fight each other. Here and there are some places where they’re slow (last corner at Limerock for example) or they just bump into you (happened to me at Barber) but for a soft release that’s quite impressive imo. I’m looking forward for more cars and tracks. Also it will be exciting to see how the AI will act when you can select multiclass.

However one of the best features right now is the possibility to select collections (skins, drivers, individual strength) in Trading Paints and use them as your AI opponents. No need to download skins individually and fiddle with different folders, play with AI drivers strenght etc. Just select the collection when you are in the AI menu and you’re good to go. Awesome feature.

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
@+++===+++ PS : every time I come on an iracing thread here, and everytime it's the same....boring, very boring...
I agree with almost everything else in your post above @brice - except this last quoted thing.
Because mostly I feel fairly entertained by the iRacing threads and posts here in RD.:thumbsup:

ByTheWay: Thinking about it then the reason could be that I have nothing to defend related to iRacing - so I can fully enjoy both pro/con iRacing posts. And dont have to say Im bored.:)

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
@brice.s
I could if I was a bit conspirational believe that you are sarcastic!
But no.
I decide to take it as a nice honest positive comment to my post.
Which also was honest by the way.

So I will stop now with a Thank You - before you get bored.:thumbsup: