iRacing | 2020 Season 1 Patch 2 Released - GT4 BMW Confirmed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing recently updated for the second time during the current 2020 Season 1 build - adding a number of fixes, updates and improvements to the online (and now somewhat offline) racing simulation.

The new build released on January 14th and is available to download the next time you start up the simulation.

In content news, the American developers have also confirmed a new car is on the way, in the form of the BMW M4 GT4 - set to be made available for the simulation later this year.

iRacing BMW M4 GT4 Confirmed.jpg

iRacing 2020 Season 1, Patch 2 Update Notes;

iRacing BETA Interface

• Users may now set their preferred system of measurement (Metric or English) in the Settings section of the iRacing BETA Interface. This setting persists between the iRacing BETA Interface and the iRacing Simulator garage.
  • Recent Results are now sorted by “Most Recent” by default.
  • Additional details have been added to the Update interface.
  • A failure status will now be displayed if the iRacing BETA Interface loses its connection.
  • Fixed a few issues with the Series interface including:
    – – The Test Drive button is now functional if the track is unowned; however, the user must still own the track to launch the Test Drive Session.
    – – The Watch button now correctly launches the Simulator.
  • Fixed a few issues with Leagues including:
    – – Users may no longer Favorite Leagues of which they are not a member.
    – – The sorting and filtering of Leagues have been updated.
  • The iRating of Rookie License drivers is now correctly hidden in the iRacing BETA Interface.
  • Fixed an issue where some Profile fields were not being properly displayed.
  • Addressed several issues with Notifications including:
    – – The correct time is now displayed on notifications.
    – – The “Close” button is no longer drawn over notifications.
    – – Notifications are now properly cleared when dismissed.
AI Races
  • The Skip Barber Formula 2000 has been enabled for AI Races!
  • The following track configurations have been enabled for AI Races!
    – – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course – Full Course
    – – Road Atlanta – Full Course
  • AI Drivers have received additional training with the following vehicles:
    – – Global Mazda MX-5 Cup
    – – Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Car (991)
  • AI Drivers have received additional training at the following tracks:
    – – Barber Motorsports Park – Full Course
  • AI Driver behavior for a variety of activities has been upgraded, including:
    – – Throttle control
    – – Drafting
    – – Braking in braking zones
    – – Brake locking
    – – Passing behaviors
    – – Three-wide strategies
    – – Low fuel driving
    – – Low-speed hazard assessment
    – – Hazard avoidance driving
    – – Caution lap spacing
    – – Pit lane driving
    – – Pit stall entry
  • Fixed a variety of issues with AI Driver behavior, including:
    – – AI Drivers could sometimes drive through the pace car when a lap down.
    – – AI Drivers who got physically stuck failed to reset themselves.
    – – AI Drivers should no longer forget to pit on the first Caution lap if needed.
    – – AI Drivers should no longer attempt to continue racing with severe engine damage.
V7 Tires
  • Adjustments to tire heat and tread effectiveness have been made to opponent vehicles for greater accuracy.
Dynamic Track
  • The effect of the atmosphere on the amount of solar energy hitting the surface of the earth has been adjusted. This change reduces track temperatures, especially when the sun is at a moderate angle.
    – – On average, track surfaces are about 2-3° Celsius cooler. This varies depending on the season, time of day, and latitude.
Pit Stop
  • Fixed a temporary bouncing issue that could occur when a vehicle enters a pit stall.
VR
  • A new option, “TwoStageAA” has been added to both the “[Oculus Rift]” and “[OpenVR]” sections of the “RendererDX11.ini” file.
    – – When enabled (default), anti-aliasing is run on the user interface elements (and runs the second pass of anti-aliasing on the scene after all of the post-processing effects are run).
    – – – This option can be taxing on performance; disable this option if you are low on resources for VR.
CARS
BMW M8 GTE

• For custom paint schemes, the windshield banners and rear wing logos are now always visible per BMW’s request.
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 2018
  • Season setups have been updated.
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Ford Mustang
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Toyota Camry
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Car (911)
  • Camber adjustment minimums have been set to -5.0 degrees and -4.0 degrees in the front and rear respectively.
Skip Barber Formula 2000
  • Fixed an issue where rear wing damage was affecting aero offsets too greatly.
Supercars Ford Mustang GT
  • Tire sound levels have been improved.
  • Damage to the rear wing now has a much greater effect on the rear downforce of this vehicle.
  • Damage to the sides and fenders now has a reduced effect on the aero drag of this vehicle.
Supercars Holden ZB Commodore
  • Tire sound levels have been improved.
  • Damage to the rear wing now has a much greater effect on the rear downforce of this vehicle.
  • Damage to the sides and fenders now has a reduced effect on the aero drag of this vehicle.
(Archive) NASCAR Cup Chevrolet SS
(Archive) NASCAR Cup Ford Fusion
TRACKS
Charlotte Motor Speedway

• (ALL 2018) – Filled a hole in the track near the apron exiting Turn 4 that was eating wheels.
  • Fixed an issue with crowds clipping through the infield Armco at Turn 2.
Charlotte Motor Speedway - 2016
  • Fixed an issue with crowds clipping through the infield Armco at Turn 2.
Daytona International Speedway
  • (Oval) – Camera set has been updated.

Original Source: iRacing.com

iRacing is available exclusively on PC.

Got some stuff to ask about the sim? Happy days for you, we have a community powered iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment, so go over and start yourself a thread today!

iRacing Update.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

Seems that the BMWM4 and the caymanGT4 are the cheapest (or the easiest) car to licenced^^ Very curious about the next GT4, wich one will it be ? maybe the mustang...maybe the audi and mercedes(wich are the most represented irl)...wait and see ;)
New fix tuesday...
Very happy with the skip'AI, permits me to race it without loosing IR (but lots of car spins or crashes....as they were humans^^)
@++

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to the BMW gt4!
Currently my go to sim and really enjoying all the new features that have been added of late.

I really hope they add the ntmv7 to the gt3/gte/protos for next season as I wanna add to my schedule either the imsa series or Le man's.

• Deleted member 205301

secret hope: first oval AI? They have been very careful to not raise any hopes, but with their core US customers, oval AI is a must, so maybe it's a green flag ...
Was thinking of it yes, specially when you read that with this fix AI could pit at first lap under SC (for me it only means : OVAL )
To be honest when oval'AI will be released (one day or another) I'll try it for sure, but not much, , I runned Ovals for years (and liked it) but now i don't have time to train for too much things (so I use Oval only for the participation credit : 7$/season without any train^^)
@++

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I have always been a critic of iRacing and I have voiced my opinion many times in this forum. When the AI was introduced I actually signed up for 1 month to try it out. Right out of the gate I had to buy the Porsche 911 GT3 cup since it was the only car enabled for AI. Luckily I already had a few of the tracks for AI.

Much to my surprise the racing was actually pretty darn good. I was having a good time without much tweaking and of course the VR has always been the best of all the VR included titles.

Now they've added the Skippy and a few more AI tracks. Looks like I'll sign up for another month to try them out since the Skippy also has the damage model.

Man I hate to say it but iRacing has improved a lot. It is still expensive but the AI option makes it a little easier to tolerate. I was a steady member for 4 years so I have quite a few cars and tracks. This is probably the first time in 2 years that I've gone back to iRacing.

On a side note I spent 5 hours last night trying to get R3E running good again and it still has issues after the update. It was my goto sim for a quick race and now I may be using iRacing. I never thought I would say that! Personally I think the devs screwed up R3E with this update. Nothing I like better than having to redo everything because of an update.

I gave up on iRacing after 10 years and $1,000.00+ into it. Then came the AI, and after a short stint racing them, I signed up for another year. The new iRacing AI along with Raceroom's AI and rFactor2 AI are all I drive now and I'm completely content with that.

I'm not an on-line racer as I find it actually boring compared to AI bots. If I were to race on-line, it would be in a RACEDEPARTMENT event. :)

Last edited:
Even going back to ACC feels frustrating because how many bugs are still in the game 6 months after the release.

Such as? I appreciate that this is an iRacing forum but statements like that need some sort of justification. Apart from VR, ACC seems to now be getting mostly very positive reviews - even from some of those who had previously been particularly critical. Also, you can hardly criticise the amount of development that's going on from Kunos, in spite of having only a very small team and a limited budget. For this reason alone I would've expected even more from iRacing.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 318 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 448 39.2%