Inverted mirrors, how to switch them right ?

Hi everyone,

I am using a DTM 2005 mod i found recently, all good exception of mirrors : right is left, left is right and central is inverted too. Do you know the way to make them right ?

Cheers,

Thomas

There may be a better way to "flip" a mirror in GTR2, GTL, RF, etc. but this has worked for me countless times (assumes that you have a working knowledge of 3DSimED3 operations and do back ups before modding) :

1) Open "3DSimED3"
*If needed, download at http://sim-garage.co.uk/3dsimed3-download/ (trial can be used for 20 days)

2) Import the car's model that contains "mirror.bmp"(usually something like "<xxx>_cockpit_window").

3) Right-click on "mirror.bmp", then click on something like "Material <xxx>_mirror".

4) "Material Edit" window will appear on the right side of 3DSimED.

5) The seventh button from the left has a drop-down list; click on "Scale UV > Scale/Offset Channel 0".

6) Rescale "U" -1.000 for left/right switch.

7) Rescale "V" -1.000 for top/bottom switch.

8) Click "OK" when finished, then click on the green check-mark.

9) Click on "Export" > "GTR2" > "Save Model Data", the click on "Export Textures".

Good Luck!

Last edited:
To be more precise:
Mostly the mirror is named "mirror.gmt" with the texture "mirror.bmp"

If you don't find it in the Objects.gtr file ... it will be also often to be found loose in the Cpit.gtr or/and in the XXXXX_cpit.gmt

If you have an older 3DSimed ... in the Edit tab, choose "Edit Materials" ... click on the mirror in the opened window, click Edit then Rescale Tex and just change the Scale U from "1000" to "-1000" and click the necessary OKs .... then Export ... choose GTR2 ... Save Model data, click OK without changing anything and replace the original using the same name and confirm.

It happens mostly with Rfactor conversions to GTR2 ... and only the mirrors are horizontally inverted.

NB: If you're not used to it, you'll need also nearly always the tool GEditor as the mirror.gmt and mirror.bmp will often only be present in a .gtr file.

Thank you for your tips. However, I can't import the file I need to modify. It is a GTR file. And unfortunatly, I don't know why, GEditor don't want to run on my computer. Can I send you the file ?

Last edited:
No problem, @Tomal ... you may send me the file in a private conversation.
GEditor works fine but there's one thing you need to know about it.

If the 1st file of this .gtr file is a dds or tga or any image file ... this won't cause any problem for exporting any following file.
But if this first file in the .gtr is a .gmt file ... you won't be able to export anything.

So open first a XXXX_tex.gtr file .... then from the software itself open the Objects.gtr file.
You'll need when choosing a gmt to click OK when it is asked .... and then you'll be able to export it.

You may alternatively extract (or compress) GTR and many other files with 3DSimED.

Please accept my apology for my previous "Shorthand" answer to your question; I hope that this is a more "precise" explanation. I am not a paid spokesman for 3DSimED3 but I AM a staunch advocate of purchasing software that makes daunting projects considerably easier for non-professionals like myself who simply wish to create or customize simulated objects. Inexpensive programs such as 3DSimED, ZModeler and BobsTrackBuilder have made it possible for me to create and/or modify objects from Grand Prix Legends, NASCAR Racing, MS Flight Simulator, rFactor (1&2), Grid, F1 20xx, Forza, ALL of the Simbin titles, etc.. Once the idiosyncrasies of these apps are mastered, they ARE the easier way to modify many objects. I am as pleased to contribute to brilliant programmers such as Dave Noonan, Oleg and Brandon as I am to the major game providers.

The following screen captures may best illustrate my methodology:

STEP 1 - Click "Expand>GTR:
Step 1 - Expand Data.jpg

STEP 2 - Create new folder:
Step 2 - Create new folder.jpg

STEP 3 - Click "Import> Select Import Filename":
Step 3 - Import GMTs.jpg

STEP 4 - Right-Click on object, then click "Material"> "mirror" from drop-down list:
Step 4 - Opened GMT.jpg

STEP 5 - Click (seventh button from left) "Edit Channel Texture Coordinates"> "Scale UV"> Scale/Offset UV Channel 0":
Step 5 - Edit mirror Texture.jpg

STEP 6 - Change text in "Scale U" box to "-1.000", click green check-mark, then "Export" > "GTR2" > "Save Model Data", and click on "Export Textures".
Step 6 - Scale mirror Texture.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this precise explanation with it, @gwaldock :thumbsup:

I finally did it for him as it needed first to be exported from the cpit.gtr and this tool seemed not to work for him. He had no single experience in 3D, he explained me afterwards.

But your post will surely help others. ;)

Yes, many thanks to both of you ! I must admit I was and is totally lost on this one. Your precise tutorial will help definitly if I ever encounter the same thing again. I just have to find a way to make GEditor work.

What's the precise problem with it, @Tomal ? ....
It's a portable software and you may install it wherever you wish.

Maybe you installed it in C:/Program Files ? and it simply doesn't work without admin rights ?
I used it for years on Win 7 and now on Win10 in my D:/ drive without any problem.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%