Intrusive, unavoidable videos on the site

Vilmos Vas

Premium
Hey everybody,

RD is my go-to site I visit every single day. I am not a premium member and I understand that RD need some income to be able to keep doing what they do, so I had no problem making an exception in my ad block software for RD (this is the only site in the list, by the way) even if some ads are quite annoying and they make the user experience worse. But this new trend of the RD related videos automatically playing, is on a next level. They just ruin the site completely to me. If these videos stuck to the top of the page, I'd say it's okay but if I start to scroll down, a video window jumps into the bottom right corner, and it stays there until I click on the X. Even after that, every time I navigate to a new page, the frickin video pops up again.
It is not a huge problem on a PC but most of the time I use RD on the go on my phone. It causes two problems:
  1. These videos cover quite a lot of useful space on a small smartphone screen, making the experience rather bad.
  2. I guess, these videos are downloaded automatically, using data from my monthly limit. I really don't want to use any data for 2-3 videos that I don't even want to watch, especially for the 20th time every day.
I have no question, nor suggestion as I know this can be an important source of income for RD. I just wanted to express my frustration, as currently I think of RD as a toxic site (regarding user experience) and I'm pretty sure I won't be using it as frequently as before.

Thanks for reading.

Is there anything we can do about this flipping Reiza video popping up on literally every page load? Advert spam is one thing, but persistent video popups are rageful. I've closed it 318 times, what if it stayed closed?

Last edited:
Is there anything we can do about this flipping Reiza video popping up on literally every page load? Advert spam is one thing, but persistent video popups are rageful. I've closed it 318 times, what if it stayed closed?
I didn't experience this yesterday and I can't reproduce it now on a test account. Is it still happening to you? @Bram Hengeveld may know what's afoot. (Could be a cookie issue... :unsure:)

A video ad is currently one of the few limited options we still have to create some revenue. If it really bothers you and don't want to see ads our premium membership is the solution as premium users never see any ads.

Nobody likes ads we know, but unfortunately this site doesn't run by itself and needs fuel in the tank each month to pay for 250 - 300 terrabyte of data and the video ads displaying over this feature video are absolutely helping.

• Deleted member 1066209

I see those videos each time I access the site on my mobile device as a guest.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%