Introducing the Toyota Celica ST185 for Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 4.jpg

Reveal number four from the upcoming Ready to Race DLC for Assetto Corsa - presenting something slightly different in the form of the Toyota Celica ST185 WRC contender.

We fans are by now well aware that the next car pack from Kunos Simulazioni will be the 10 car strong 'Ready to Race' DLC, designed specifically for fans of racing vehicles and containing a nice mix of modern and historic machinery.

One of the more surprising inclusions into the pack comes in the form of the hugely successful WRC specification Toyota Celica ST185 featured in this article. With Assetto Corsa not particularly known for its loose surface simulation prowess, it is perhaps a little surprising to some to see such an iconic World Rally Championship car finding its way into the game as official paid content. Of course we had the venerable Audi Quattro as free content a few weeks ago, and many at the time thought that would be the beginning of the end for studio released rally spec cars.... not so according to Kunos.

With killer good looks and one of the best paint jobs in motorsport, the Celica could well be a real treat to behold once the 'Ready to Race' DLC pack goes live on Thursday.

Alongside the images revealed by Kunos today, the Italians are keeping up the tradition of writing a few short words about the car, which can be read below:

The Toyota Celica ST185 is Toyota's most successful rally car, winning the WRC Driver's Championship in 1992, and the WRC Manufacturer's and Driver's Championships in both 1993 and 1994.

In order to meet the Group A competition's homologation requirements, 5,000 GT-Four RC production versions of the Celica were manufactured, starting from September 1989.

The Toyota Celica ST185 made its debut at the Monte Carlo Rally, the opening round of the 1992 World Rally Championship series, but it wasn't until mid-season did it then become successful

Ready to Race DLC Contents:
  • Audi R8 LMS 2016
  • Audi R18 e-tron Quattro
  • Audi TT Cup 2016
  • Audi TT RS (VLN)
  • Lotus 3-Eleven
  • Maserati MC12 GT1
  • McLaren 570S
  • McLaren P1 GTR
  • Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo
  • Toyota TS040 Hybrid

Alongside the new DLC pack will come the version 1.14 game update which looks set to contain a number of new and improved features. As a little teaser Kunos have revealed some of the following changes will be included in the new build release:
  • Added wind algorithm
  • Added AI Aggression selection
  • More AI differences within a single lap to generate more battles
  • Added AI wing setup variations
  • New AI algorithms for understeer detection and downshifting
  • Improved Downshift Protection
  • Updated Steam statistic reader to synchronize steam achievement

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation designed by Kunos Simulazioni and is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. The 'Ready to Race' DLC is scheduled to launch on Thursday 18th May.

Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 3.jpg
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185  2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 .jpg

Oh boy do we like mods! If you do too then we have you covered with our fantastic Assetto Corsa modding archive. From downloads to a place for mod discussion, we have it all for you to enjoy, check it out today! If you don't fancy trying out some of the awesome community created tracks and cars then drop in on our Assetto Corsa sub forum to chat about the game with your fellow fans. Interaction and threads make forums fun, so start one today!

We hold regular league and club racing events across a variety of content found within the game, however to celebrate this mega new inclusion to Assetto Corsa we are holding a very special on off GT1 specification race on Sunday 21st May. Sign up here and get yourself in on the action.

Looking forward to some sideways action? How do you feel about prominent rally cars being added to Assetto Corsa? Would you like to see an official Kunos created rally stage to test the car on? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
If you want to criticise the sim for a particular flaw make a post about it, don't add stuff that is off topic to this post.

if its good tell them its good, if its bad tell them . just be constructive in your approach, and the moderators will not intervene..
ie: dont post how bad or good a Audi is in a post about a Toyota..
But you can make a thread about how bad certain cars are in AC to it real life counterpart..
But i cant do this as ive not driven that many car for real, that are in the game so i can only go on its looks and sound, per say and how it looks to drive against the real Mcoy..

Does that make sense to you guys..:)
Too bad you deleted all posts, so we can't have the smallest clue on what you are on about... In my post I just corrected an inaccuracy about a single make championship, and you threw me on the pot with the one criticizing whatever they were criticizing... I'm done with you and your lack of respect for the other user in this community... Enforcement is better achieved with a civil and clear approach.

And every alteration that is done to the car has to be approved by the manufacturer. Good luck with that. Please quit making suggestions, even more so repeatedly calling them 'easy' implementations, on things that you obviously know absolutely nothing about. All you are doing is making yourself look foolish and wasting any devs time that is still willing to hang out around here.
Please don´t tell me what to write and you looking foolish in my eyes with your fanboy defense of very obvious flaws in AC, even very obvious bugs;).

And take a look at Forza to get an idea what is possible with their hundreds of cars and licenses:cautious:.

Similar with other classes, be it DTM or even GT2/E, they're relatively in the same ballpark but that doesn't mean older machinery gets artificially balanced. The cars should drive the way they did in reality, if they modelled cars from seasons years apart where changes in pace occurred in real life then you have to deal with that they might not be automatically balanced. GT3 really might be the only balanced class because all the machinery still is in use today, the class is already balanced and pace didn't really change much (and they all use similar modern tyre compound in the sim too).
Thing is, AC got pretty much all wrong regarding GT3 and GT2.

In reality:
- GT2 3 seconds a lap faster then GT3, different tyres
- GT3 becaming faster and faster recently, with the AMG GT3 being the dominating car (followed by Lamborghini and Ferrari)

in AC:
- GT2/E and GT3 have the same pace, same tyres
- GT3 old models and new models with the same pace, AMG GT pretty much a dog compared to the 488 or the McLaren on most tracks
->BMW Z4 GT3 with the same pace as the Corvette C7R (GTE) on tracks like Spa -->makes my eyes bleed:mad:
You also don't feel any difference in handling regarding those 2 classes, no grip differences...

So the part i bolded in your quote definitely doesn't apply to AC unfortunately.

And before anyone jumps in now to cry "off topic", i need this explanation to my introduction regarding the Celica, and BoP'ing. To take the wind out of the sails of the "anti-BoP-disciples". AC is already BoP'ing the GT3 and GT2 cars together, which doesn't apply to real life, so nothing wrong to BoP other classes together as well.
I don't know how fast the Celica will be, i don't know how fast it was compared to contemporary race cars, like DTM for example.
I just hope that it won't be another car just to test for 30 minutes, and then never touch again because it doesn't have race usefulness. But it could be possibly close to the Bmw E30 Group A, couldn't it?
Hopefully those 2 cars are close together, so you can at least BoP them with ballast, Glaurung did an awesome job in BoP'ing cars together so far for club races. :)

erm... don't mean to butt in on your discussion but does anyone know when this is going to be live? It's 2013hrs here in Aus and wondering if I should wait up or just be patient for tomorrow? Cheers. As you were.

erm... don't mean to butt in on your discussion but does anyone know when this is going to be live? It's 2013hrs here in Aus and wondering if I should wait up or just be patient for tomorrow? Cheers. As you were.
Don't think you should wait up for that one.. The update must be out for consoles, but the dlc is about 30 hours away..

Last edited:
I can't pick one, just go here:
https://giphy.com/search/facepalm

I'm sure Kunos will give your suggestions the consideration that they deserve, good luck.
I´m very sure Kunos will do everything what i suggested. It´s not a question if, it´s just a question when and how.

And seems you don´t even know that adding weight to cars is already built in AC, but just for running a server. Isn´t this altering cars already? Why it´s not possible in single-player?

Same here, but i don't care too much to be honest. Those minor (yes minor!) inaccuracies don't bother me, especially since those kind of cars get altered more or less in real life as well, so just using one picture and saying "the car has to look like this exactly" just doesn't really cut it. One of my professors has the race version of the Alfa Romeo GTA, i can tell it looks quite different from the first 1 or 2 pictures you'd find in google pictures.

You may not care, I was looking forward to this already classic car, I'm sure it'll be good to drive, but just like the AE86 (another I was hoping they'll make the best model of) they screwed big on the proportions.

And don't tell me I compare with just one picture, I apply the same criticism on my own work, I think I have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Not to say criticism is a bad thing... but lambasting Kunos for "highly inaccurate modelling" based on 4 screenies before the car even releases is way overblown.

Again, I can spot the differences even from the first screenshot they posted. I don't have superpowers, but I've been doing this for many years and I can easily tell when a car is properly represented in 3D or not.

Funny how any modeler with experience here agrees with my point of view, and the rest are just fanboys trying to defend something that's right there in your face.
We have one, if not the best simulator out there today, why we should expect less from Kunos? there's my disappointment when I see a model with so many flaws like this (yeah the Miura is another story, doesn't even have the classic "eyelashes" on the headlights, just to start).
If it were a mod, hell, it's damn fine and I'm sure the author wouldn't mind to fix these small issues. But coming as official licensed content? come on!

I recognized it from the livery - it is the first car in Android Pocket Rally! They have not licenced cars so they never tell you what it is but it is this. BTW Rush Rally 2 is better.

Thing is, AC got pretty much all wrong regarding GT3 and GT2.

In reality:
- GT2 3 seconds a lap faster then GT3, different tyres
- GT3 becaming faster and faster recently, with the AMG GT3 being the dominating car (followed by Lamborghini and Ferrari)

in AC:
- GT2/E and GT3 have the same pace, same tyres
- GT3 old models and new models with the same pace, AMG GT pretty much a dog compared to the 488 or the McLaren on most tracks
->BMW Z4 GT3 with the same pace as the Corvette C7R (GTE) on tracks like Spa -->makes my eyes bleed:mad:
You also don't feel any difference in handling regarding those 2 classes, no grip differences...

So the part i bolded in your quote definitely doesn't apply to AC unfortunately.

And before anyone jumps in now to cry "off topic", i need this explanation to my introduction regarding the Celica, and BoP'ing. To take the wind out of the sails of the "anti-BoP-disciples". AC is already BoP'ing the GT3 and GT2 cars together, which doesn't apply to real life, so nothing wrong to BoP other classes together as well.
I don't know how fast the Celica will be, i don't know how fast it was compared to contemporary race cars, like DTM for example.
I just hope that it won't be another car just to test for 30 minutes, and then never touch again because it doesn't have race usefulness. But it could be possibly close to the Bmw E30 Group A, couldn't it?
Hopefully those 2 cars are close together, so you can at least BoP them with ballast, Glaurung did an awesome job in BoP'ing cars together so far for club races. :)
You know, I wrote a long paragraph about this and then thought the better of it, since we're already off-topic and I obviously don't know which exact BoP Kunos replicated for each specific car, what data they based them on. I'll just say that I don't really agree. There will be more extensive balance options as we've heard, if that makes you happier.

Two things to mention though:
"GT3 old models and new models with the same pace"
I thought the complaint was that Kunos don't balance their classes? As I said - the cars are all still used, it's reasonable that they have similar pace (they don't really across the board, some tracks suit some cars better so as in real life you would have to balance manually). And in real life you'd find exactly that, balanced cars in a race because BoP is a thing.

And the Celica is a rally car, particularly depending on the gearbox choices there won't be much point in comparing it to DTM. Not sure where you went with that thought. If they are close or can be balanced nothing holds you back from having them compete with each other however.

y'all should be pleased to know that BOP via restrictors and ballast in online and championship mode (single race will come soon) will be available in tomorrow's update.
Please mod delete this. It´s off-topic:laugh:

GT3-class is a bit out of balance atm. McLaren 650S is clearly dominant in GT3 after one update slowed the Ferrari down, which was very dominant before. The AMG is not competitive.

You may not care, I was looking forward to this already classic car, I'm sure it'll be good to drive, but just like the AE86 (another I was hoping they'll make the best model of) they screwed big on the proportions.

And don't tell me I compare with just one picture, I apply the same criticism on my own work, I think I have an idea of what I'm talking about.
Well, guess it's your loss then. Everyone has his own preferences other's might not be so interested in. In this case i don't care. But if it really bothers you that much, i'd try to convince the devs to change things..in a constructive way, with pictures, measurements, etc...
You know, I wrote a long paragraph about this and then thought the better of it, since we're already off-topic and I obviously don't know which exact BoP Kunos replicated for each specific car, what data they based them on. I'll just say that I don't really agree. There will be more extensive balance options as we've heard, if that makes you happier.

Two things to mention though:
"GT3 old models and new models with the same pace"
I thought the complaint was that Kunos don't balance their classes? As I said - the cars are all still used, it's reasonable that they have similar pace (they don't really across the board, some tracks suit some cars better so as in real life you would have to balance manually). And in real life you'd find exactly that, balanced cars in a race because BoP is a thing.

And the Celica is a rally car, particularly depending on the gearbox choices there won't be much point in comparing it to DTM. Not sure where you went with that thought. If they are close or can be balanced nothing holds you back from having them compete with each other however.
They didn't use specific BoPs i'd say, they modeled the cars in some abstract way. Otherwise cars wouldn't be so far off regarding certain characteristics (Merc again a good example).
I like balancing of cars within one class (not matching two classes together), my post was a reaction to people stating that "BoP is unrealistic, cars are ment to have different performances, etc", while exactly that (BoP) is already applied in AC. And the cars are not used any more...the Nissan GT-R GT3, the SLS GT3, the R8, Z4, MP-12C GT3 are all not used any more. Only currently used GT3 cars from AC are the McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche (apart from some nobody amateur races). Even "between generation" cars like the Bentley or the newer GT-R are really struggling to keep up in most GT3 races.
Real races don't normally BoP cars per race, they BoP them before the season, that's it. Only if one car is vastly off/over pace, it get's a BoP mid-season. Mercedes AMG GT dominates GT3 since it's out, no matter if we talk ADAC GT Masters, Blancpain or GT300...no BoP changed that.

I hope the Celica gearing can be changed for circuit racing. Otherwise there is no point what so ever to have a pure rally-based car in a sim with no official rallytrack....

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back