Introducing the Toyota Celica ST185 for Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 4.jpg

Reveal number four from the upcoming Ready to Race DLC for Assetto Corsa - presenting something slightly different in the form of the Toyota Celica ST185 WRC contender.

We fans are by now well aware that the next car pack from Kunos Simulazioni will be the 10 car strong 'Ready to Race' DLC, designed specifically for fans of racing vehicles and containing a nice mix of modern and historic machinery.

One of the more surprising inclusions into the pack comes in the form of the hugely successful WRC specification Toyota Celica ST185 featured in this article. With Assetto Corsa not particularly known for its loose surface simulation prowess, it is perhaps a little surprising to some to see such an iconic World Rally Championship car finding its way into the game as official paid content. Of course we had the venerable Audi Quattro as free content a few weeks ago, and many at the time thought that would be the beginning of the end for studio released rally spec cars.... not so according to Kunos.

With killer good looks and one of the best paint jobs in motorsport, the Celica could well be a real treat to behold once the 'Ready to Race' DLC pack goes live on Thursday.

Alongside the images revealed by Kunos today, the Italians are keeping up the tradition of writing a few short words about the car, which can be read below:

The Toyota Celica ST185 is Toyota's most successful rally car, winning the WRC Driver's Championship in 1992, and the WRC Manufacturer's and Driver's Championships in both 1993 and 1994.

In order to meet the Group A competition's homologation requirements, 5,000 GT-Four RC production versions of the Celica were manufactured, starting from September 1989.

The Toyota Celica ST185 made its debut at the Monte Carlo Rally, the opening round of the 1992 World Rally Championship series, but it wasn't until mid-season did it then become successful

Ready to Race DLC Contents:
  • Audi R8 LMS 2016
  • Audi R18 e-tron Quattro
  • Audi TT Cup 2016
  • Audi TT RS (VLN)
  • Lotus 3-Eleven
  • Maserati MC12 GT1
  • McLaren 570S
  • McLaren P1 GTR
  • Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo
  • Toyota TS040 Hybrid

Alongside the new DLC pack will come the version 1.14 game update which looks set to contain a number of new and improved features. As a little teaser Kunos have revealed some of the following changes will be included in the new build release:
  • Added wind algorithm
  • Added AI Aggression selection
  • More AI differences within a single lap to generate more battles
  • Added AI wing setup variations
  • New AI algorithms for understeer detection and downshifting
  • Improved Downshift Protection
  • Updated Steam statistic reader to synchronize steam achievement

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation designed by Kunos Simulazioni and is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. The 'Ready to Race' DLC is scheduled to launch on Thursday 18th May.

Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 3.jpg
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185  2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 .jpg

Oh boy do we like mods! If you do too then we have you covered with our fantastic Assetto Corsa modding archive. From downloads to a place for mod discussion, we have it all for you to enjoy, check it out today! If you don't fancy trying out some of the awesome community created tracks and cars then drop in on our Assetto Corsa sub forum to chat about the game with your fellow fans. Interaction and threads make forums fun, so start one today!

We hold regular league and club racing events across a variety of content found within the game, however to celebrate this mega new inclusion to Assetto Corsa we are holding a very special on off GT1 specification race on Sunday 21st May. Sign up here and get yourself in on the action.

Looking forward to some sideways action? How do you feel about prominent rally cars being added to Assetto Corsa? Would you like to see an official Kunos created rally stage to test the car on? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Even a bit of criticism is not allowed, how much Kunos wants to protect their brand reputation? Can't criticize AC on their forums, now, not even in RD. Meanwhile, the mods let the haters go wild on other games. This is what fairness is, i guess.

Criticism is allowed, just keep it on topic.

As for me, I never would have noticed the issues with the Celica before seeing a side by side, but its not a car I've ever really looked at properly before. A bit disappointing definitely, wish it hadn't been pointed out and I'd have been none of the wiser :roflmao:

Just to repeat myself: Kunos could easily implement some BoP-classes (a bit like in Forza) just with their already built in stage-system, just name it P1 to P10 for example. Group cars which are similar in pace on one track, maybe Nürburgring GP or Spa and balance them with more or less hp, more or less weight or maybe just fixed tyre restrictions depending on the cars. Just needs one or more guys running maybe five laps in each car, taking the best lap time per car and the rest is math and checking the results.

Holy crap, did a moderator just edited a lot of posts without any kind of offenses just because he can? That's how communities lose members... It's not the first time the same moderator does that... a real shame.

When you insist to post off topic, that's I'm afraid what should be happening.

In my opinion, there is no need to tweak some car's performance in order to compete with cars they should not at the beginning. We are looking at a simulator, having cars with accurate characteristics. A slight BOP could be applied, but only when thoses cars are played together.

To keep this post on topic, glad to see this beautiful car in the game. It reminds me of the basic Celica my parents used to own. Generally speaking I am frankly interested by this DLC : GT1, LMP1 ... exciting.

As for me, I never would have noticed the issues with the Celica before seeing a side by side, but its not a car I've ever really looked at properly before. A bit disappointing definitely, wish it hadn't been pointed out and I'd have been none of the wiser :roflmao:
Same here, but i don't care too much to be honest. Those minor (yes minor!) inaccuracies don't bother me, especially since those kind of cars get altered more or less in real life as well, so just using one picture and saying "the car has to look like this exactly" just doesn't really cut it. One of my professors has the race version of the Alfa Romeo GTA, i can tell it looks quite different from the first 1 or 2 pictures you'd find in google pictures.

Same here, but i don't care too much to be honest. Those minor (yes minor!) inaccuracies don't bother me, especially since those kind of cars get altered more or less in real life as well, so just using one picture and saying "the car has to look like this exactly" just doesn't really cut it. One of my professors has the race version of the Alfa Romeo GTA, i can tell it looks quite different from the first 1 or 2 pictures you'd find in google pictures.

I dunno, maybe on an Alfa GTA the panels are more unique on a per car basis, but from something reasonably modern then it should be pretty accurate.

Maybe the dimensions look a bit iffy due to the different fov used in both pictures, real one has a low fov taken from a longer distance and ingame pic has a much wider fov and is taken from considerably closer to the car giving it a bit of a stretchy look. But hey, thing is gonna release tomorrow and we will have all the time in the world to pick at it if it ends up being actually majorly off once we get a proper look. Not that I'd care much if it does have minor inconsistencies as long as it drives good, just like the AE-86. TBH this is not a car I'm looking forward to in the pack so I don't have anything to be disappointed about. :p

I dunno, maybe on an Alfa GTA the panels are more unique on a per car basis, but from something reasonably modern then it should be pretty accurate.

Isn't it pretty reasonable to have differences on a car which is used in 4 years of WRC?
Daniel%20Garc%C3%ADa.jpg

Rear looks a lot closer to the in-game screens, then the photo the other poster showed. Especially the rear lights, but also the bumber below. Only thing i realised in my short google pic search is that i don't find a Celica without the black panel in the rear window.

Daniel%20Garc%C3%ADa.jpg

Rear looks a lot closer to the in-game screens, then the photo the other poster showed. Especially the rear lights, but also the bumber below. Only thing i realised in my short google pic search is that i don't find a Celica without the black panel in the rear window.

To be fair nothing is really comparable in that pic due to the huge difference in FOV - even the original comparison isn't perfect (as @Torcano mentions), but its a lot closer.

In my opinion, there is no need to tweak some car's performance in order to compete with cars they should not at the beginning. We are looking at a simulator, having cars with accurate characteristics. A slight BOP could be applied, but only when thoses cars are played together.

The BoP should be optional like i wrote above. Every modern car can be altered in performance via ship-tuning, race cars via restrictor plates or generally with adding weight in real life. And by watching Goodwood races you can have awesome racing action with cars that never raced in history together and built in different decades sometimes with very different characteristics. Maybe the main reason why it´s not already there is the AI unable to overtake slower cars, and that´s obligatory.

That's another problem, they never BoP their classes.
That's not really a problem IMO. The 787B, C9 and the 962C's are all modelled from different years at Le Mans ('91, '89, '87, '85) and did not necessarily compete with each other in that trim. Then you also have to consider that race cars the further you go back in time weren't necessarily balanced, they had to adhere to homologation, technical regulations but there wasn't necessarily extensive BoP toward 100% equal lap times like GT's nowadays, plus not all cars were actually able to keep that pace across races due to reliability. If a manufacturer managed to have better aero, more power, better reliability within the same regs they had the quicker car, period. (Similar applies to modern LMP still btw.) Still, in the sim they can certainly be balanced via turbo pressure, rev limiter and ballast.

Similar with other classes, be it DTM or even GT2/E, they're relatively in the same ballpark but that doesn't mean older machinery gets artificially balanced. The cars should drive the way they did in reality, if they modelled cars from seasons years apart where changes in pace occurred in real life then you have to deal with that they might not be automatically balanced. GT3 really might be the only balanced class because all the machinery still is in use today, the class is already balanced and pace didn't really change much (and they all use similar modern tyre compound in the sim too). That not all the cars they license per class are from the same era is a given for a racing game that doesn't license whole series, and that some cars don't have contemporary opponents is more the real problem if anything. But that totally depends on what the developers can license and manage to produce within a certain time frame.

Holy crap, did a moderator just edited a lot of posts without any kind of offenses just because he can? That's how communities lose members... It's not the first time the same moderator does that... a real shame.

No you were all asked to stay on topic to the tread plain and simple, if you choose to ignore a polite request from a staff member. What other options do we have, as i said and other staff member have requested please stay on topic to the tread. plain and simple..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The BoP should be optional like i wrote above. Every modern car can be altered in performance via ship-tuning, race cars via restrictor plates or generally with adding weight in real life.

And every alteration that is done to the car has to be approved by the manufacturer. Good luck with that. Please quit making suggestions, even more so repeatedly calling them 'easy' implementations, on things that you obviously know absolutely nothing about. All you are doing is making yourself look foolish and wasting any devs time that is still willing to hang out around here.
-----------------
At this point I have no idea if I am on topic or not, so I will just state the I think the wheels look odd on the model also. (ducks and runs)
I wonder if this is a model that they bought from a modder several years ago?

This car is WRONG, mostly the rear, but headlight size is wrong too, and overall front proportions are off.
Don't get me started on that rear window, I can't believe they missed the black frame.

View attachment 191309

Looks like this was done by the same guy who did the AE86.

May be better to compare the car with the exact livery for the car Kunos is giving us.

That car's lifespan was a number of years, and clearly there are slight changes made over those years.

The pictures I found on The Googlez of the #3 Reims livery car look near identical to the Kunos screenies. Although, the gas tank cap is in a different place? The bumpers, rear window, etc. all seem consistent with the real thing.

Also, it's kind of tough to compare rally cars when they always have different bumpers, fog lights, roof scoops, spoilers, etc. for different races on the calendar, and you are comparing versions of the car from different years.

Not to say criticism is a bad thing... but lambasting Kunos for "highly inaccurate modelling" based on 4 screenies before the car even releases is way overblown.

@TheReaper GT
No you were all asked to stay on topic to the tread plain and simple, if you choose to ignore a polite request from a staff member. What other options do we have, as i said and other staff member have requested please stay on topic to the tread. plain and simple..:)
Not plain and simple at all... You choose to interrupt an exchange of information that could end in turn everybody back on topic. You did that by massively editing posts with all kinds of different approaches, leveling them all by the least civil or useful. A bit too trigger happy, in my opinion.

If you want to criticise the sim for a particular flaw make a post about it, don't add stuff that is off topic to this post.

if its good tell them its good, if its bad tell them . just be constructive in your approach, and the moderators will not intervene..
ie: dont post how bad or good a Audi is in a post about a Toyota..
But you can make a thread about how bad certain cars are in AC to it real life counterpart..
But i cant do this as ive not driven that many car for real, that are in the game so i can only go on its looks and sound, per say and how it looks to drive against the real Mcoy..

Does that make sense to you guys..:)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 305 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years