Introducing the Audi R18 e-tron Quattro for Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Audi R18 e-tron quattro 3.jpg

With a very successful launch of the 'Ready to Race' DLC for Assetto Corsa behind them, Kunos Simulazioni have produced another feature review for one of the cars - this time introducing the sublime Audi R18 3-tron Quattro.

When Kunos Simulazioni first released the wonderful Porsche 919 LMP1 machine from both 2015 and '16 via the much publicised Porsche Volumes 1 - 3 DLC's, many fans were wondering if and when Kunos would see fit to release a suitable playmate for these technologically advanced machines.

Now with the release of 'Ready to Race' comes a near perfect rival, the 2014 Audi R18 e-tron Quattro, Ingolstadt's premium Le Mans winner and 2014 World Endurance Championship runner up.

You can check out the images from the new car and a few words from Kunos themselves below:

Introducing the Audi R18 e-tron quattro, available NOW as part of the Ready to Race DLC. The concept behind the Audi R18 e-tron quattro is unprecedented in LMP sport, and its realization a pioneering achievement. In the first development step, the engineers from Audi Sport and their partners investigated a wide variety of solutions. These included a parallel hybrid, where both drive systems propel the rear wheels. After weighing up considerations such as traction, handling characteristics, packaging and weight distribution, they ultimately decided to separate the drive systems by axle – the combustion engine drives the rear wheels permanently, and the electric drive propels the front wheels on demand.

On the R18 e-tron quattro, part of the braking energy benefits the motor generator unit (MGU) that is located at the front axle. Their two permanently excited synchronous machines convert the recovered energy into direct current through power electronics. This current drives a flywheel energy storage system positioned on the left inside the cockpit.

When the speed exceeds 120 km/h, the energy is called up from the storage system again. Converted back into alternating current by the power electronics, it then supplies the MGU’s two electric motors. These jointly feed more than 160 kW to the front wheels via single-stage planetary gears; the central control unit keeps the revs and torque in line with the conditions prevailing at the rear wheels. The racing car temporarily becomes a quattro with four driven wheels.

Assetto Corsa can be purchased now for both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as well as on PC via the Steam Network. The 'Ready to Race' DLC is only available for PC at this time, with console release scheduled for later in the year.

Assetto Corsa Audi R18 e-tron quattro 2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Audi R18 e-tron quattro.jpg

Want to make the most of the 'Ready to Race' DLC? Well look no further! Every Wednesday evening we will be using the wonderful Audi Sport TT Cup car in our incredibly popular 'Rookie Race' events. If you want something a bit more powerful or just fancy mixing it up online, check out our other race events held weekly in the Assetto Corsa Racing Club. Suitable for all skills and experiences, it really is a great way to enjoy this superb simulation.

If you own the game on PC you might want to check out the Assetto Corsa modding forum, a great place to catch up on what our wonderful modding community are up to and download some great tracks, cars, skins, apps and other assorted goodies for the game. Check it out here.

We love sim racing, and we hope you do too. Join us and have yourself a great time with fellow sim fans.

Do you like the Audi R18 e-tron Quattro? Enjoying the 'Ready to Race' DLC pack? Happy with the current content list in AC? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Really loving the ready to race DLC. I haven't actually driven this car yet but it's whizzed past me plenty of times whilst I've been simulating WEC 6 Hours of Silverstone type races!
The DLC pack has made it possible to have some epic battles and always puts a smile on my face when I'm battling in the GT3 pack and can see the LMP cars bearing down on us in my rear view mirror, picking out overtaking spots all around us.

Feels like we're taking part in living and breathing race events now.

The sound is just fabulous. Really good job. Question: is it possible to connect somehow the hybrid sound to the hybrid system? And it would make the hybrid sound only, if it uses the hybrid system? It should be possible, we are in 2017 :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back