PC2 Introducing Red Bull Ring in Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 10.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have released some incredible looking images from the newly confirmed Red Bull Ring that due to be added to Project CARS 2 upon release later this year.

Developed from the remains of the once legendary Österreichring that held Formula One Grand Prix from 1970 until 1987, the Red Bull Ring has undergone many changes and states of ownership since reopening its doors ahead of the 1997 Grand Prix season. Initially named A1 Ring, the track was met with mixed reviews from drivers, especially lacking in enthusiasm from those lucky enough to have driven the daunting original 5.9km circuit which was universally adored by all who took to the winding tarmac surface, despite the obvious lack of modern safety considerations and downright dangerous sections of track that have claimed the lives of several drivers during its 26 years of operation.

With a modern push for safety consideration sweeping through motorsports the world over, 1995 saw the legendary track undergo a major redesign in order to bring it back to current safety standards, with the goal of attracting Formula One racing back to the county for the first time since the 1987 running of the event. Step up Formula One track designer Hermann Tilke who penned a new 4.3km layout that bore very little resemblance to the original Österreichring. Despite the limitations placed upon Tilke and the subsequent popular opinion that the new track has failed to live up to its illustrious predecessor, the now titled Red Bull Ring has proven to be a solid track that often produces reasonable racing action, mostly due to three long straights followed immediately by long braking zones and tight hairpin corners.

Following a prolonged period of inactivity after an aborted attempt at redeveloping the circuit by the current owners, in stepped Red Bull to refurbish the track to it's current form and the return of Formula One racing for the 2014 Grand Prix season.

As with many of the tracks due to feature in Project CARS 2, the Red Bull Ring will be laserscanned and it will be possible to play the track in a number of weather conditions, including nigh, rain and snow!

Project CARS 2 should be releasing for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC towards the end of September 2017.

Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 7.jpg
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community and find out all you need to know about the simulation prior to release in September.

Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 4.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 5.jpgProject CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 3.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 6.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 8.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 9.jpg

Do you like the look of the attached screenshots? Are you happy to see the Red Bull Ring included in the game? What tracks currently unannounced would you like to see added to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I find it funny (and pathetic) that when a company seeks out to invite some of their biggest critics to help develop their project, that from the "community" it's seen as "buying them" or that the critics are "selling out".

For whatever reason, some people will just everything SMS does. If PRC was working with Kunos (which they tried), the same reaction wouldn't be happening.
You surely don't get it do you.. how can you have a critic that works for the company that sells the game he will review and critique. While do the same for the games in competition with SMS.

You go read a critique about a movie but that person is employed in that movie's company or is one of the actors. You go read a critique about a restaurant and its food but that person is one of the staff at the restaurant. Dwell a bit on this and maybe you reach a common sense conclusion. I don't like and don't find good the work PRC does, but I prefer if they are alone and not influenced by a company that is trying to sell their products in the same niche.

I don't like and don't find good the work PRC does, but I prefer if they are alone and not influenced by a company that is trying to sell their products in the same niche.
So are they really owned by SMS, or is this just some claim anyone made? Serious question, i didn't know about that PRC until today. Some reliable source that they are connected to SMS would be nice, if possible :)

• Deleted member 197115

So are they really owned by SMS, or is this just some claim anyone made? Serious question, i didn't know about that PRC until today. Some reliable source that they are connected to SMS would be nice, if possible :)
They are not making a secret out of it
https://pretendracecars.net/the-disclosure-page/
  • Project CARS 2 – We’re paid by Slightly Mad Studios to help find exploits in Project CARS 2, and paid to campaign a Chevrolet SS Late Model with their decals around the Pacific Northwest.

Maybe SMS didn't buy the blog but they bought its author(s). Austin left his job and now works for SMS. He receives salary, got an amateur race car, and maybe a new PC to play the game. The other authors only received access in WMD to play and test the game.

I don't find any of this wrong, I don't envy their personal success. What I find wrong and very unethical is to keep running a website that posts news-opinions about the game where they work at and about games made by other companies. What's the difference if is Austin or Ian Bell writing for PRC, none.

I'm ready to accept your sincerest apologies. :rolleyes: Now that you have read some facts.

Last edited:
I find it funny (and pathetic) that when a company seeks out to invite some of their biggest critics to help develop their project, that from the "community" it's seen as "buying them" or that the critics are "selling out".

That's not what people are having issues with. If SMS had invited the trio at PRJ to the closed programme it would've been quite similar to the R3E deal.

Now, when SMS is financing a season of racing, buying a PC and give salary to the main person, then it's not a simple "invite to help". You can try to convince people that the neutrality is there, but that's not a chance anymore.

You can see on the Assetto forums where a few of the PRC guys were offering "constructive critism" which only granted them a ban.
Judging the devs and being offensive towards them or towards the game is not constructive criticism.

- The AI isn't working well, you could improve here and here.
- You guys can't even get one thing right, racing games in the 80s had better AI.

When people actually do constructive criticism devs don't take it personally because there isn't anything personal. Then you will get good replies to your criticism from both devs and other players.

If PRC was that good at criticism why is every single article they publish so polemic and scandalizing. But go figure, the only articles where the writers showed respect and didn't make provocations looking for equal reactions were about pcars2.

You surely don't get it do you.. how can you have a critic that works for the company that sells the game he will review and critique. While do the same for the games in competition with SMS.

You go read a critique about a movie but that person is employed in that movie's company or is one of the actors. You go read a critique about a restaurant and its food but that person is one of the staff at the restaurant. Dwell a bit on this and maybe you reach a common sense conclusion. I don't like and don't find good the work PRC does, but I prefer if they are alone and not influenced by a company that is trying to sell their products in the same niche.

How to have the best product? Bring on the worst critic. That's standard business practice to produce a quality product. Your quite short sided if you cannot see that is the intent.

And I can say that in WMD, the PRC guys have not held back.

If PRC was that good at criticism why is every single article they publish so polemic and scandalizing.

The goal of their blog was to be "over the top". They are trying to be the Shock Jockeys of sim racing reporting. However, I don't believe that is how they provided feedback to Kunos. I know how they are providing feedback to SMS which is direct/unfiltered but mature (i.e. they don't provide feedback like they write on their blog).

So what you are saying is that in closed forums they have been extremely harsh, while being positive on the blog?

They cannot talk about everything on their blog as the NDA is still in place. But they provide both sides of feedback on WMD (both positive and negative). You assume they are only after to shoot holes into things. That is not the case. That is the role they play to bring people to their blog, but that is not who they are as adults.

How to have the best product? Bring on the worst critic. That's standard business practice to produce a quality product. Your quite short sided if you cannot see that is the intent.

And I can say that in WMD, the PRC guys have not held back.
You still don't get it, I never said that Austin shouldn't work with pcars2. But should he and his other authors continue writing articles about that and other games?

The standard business practice actually has ethics. Here there isn't any. Once a critic is under the influence of others his public work is tainted, therefore he can no longer continue with that type of public work. So I hope you understand that I'm not against him helping pcars2, but for preserving the integrity of sim racing I'm against him writing articles about other games when he's now an SMS employee.

They cannot talk about everything on their blog as the NDA is still in place. But they provide both sides of feedback on WMD (both positive and negative). You assume they are only after to shoot holes into things. That is not the case. That is the role they play to bring people to their blog, but that is not who they are as adults.

I actually only assume one thing, and that's that they are unable to keep any sort of neutrality. Though, it didn't really answer my question, I guess I assume two things... As I would think that it was a "yes" to what my question was. And that is the issue with such things. If you want an opinion as close as neutral as you hope to get, you don't go to the employee of a company, just as you don't go to the employee of company a, to get to know if the product from company b is better or worse...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%