PC2 Introducing Red Bull Ring in Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 10.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have released some incredible looking images from the newly confirmed Red Bull Ring that due to be added to Project CARS 2 upon release later this year.

Developed from the remains of the once legendary Österreichring that held Formula One Grand Prix from 1970 until 1987, the Red Bull Ring has undergone many changes and states of ownership since reopening its doors ahead of the 1997 Grand Prix season. Initially named A1 Ring, the track was met with mixed reviews from drivers, especially lacking in enthusiasm from those lucky enough to have driven the daunting original 5.9km circuit which was universally adored by all who took to the winding tarmac surface, despite the obvious lack of modern safety considerations and downright dangerous sections of track that have claimed the lives of several drivers during its 26 years of operation.

With a modern push for safety consideration sweeping through motorsports the world over, 1995 saw the legendary track undergo a major redesign in order to bring it back to current safety standards, with the goal of attracting Formula One racing back to the county for the first time since the 1987 running of the event. Step up Formula One track designer Hermann Tilke who penned a new 4.3km layout that bore very little resemblance to the original Österreichring. Despite the limitations placed upon Tilke and the subsequent popular opinion that the new track has failed to live up to its illustrious predecessor, the now titled Red Bull Ring has proven to be a solid track that often produces reasonable racing action, mostly due to three long straights followed immediately by long braking zones and tight hairpin corners.

Following a prolonged period of inactivity after an aborted attempt at redeveloping the circuit by the current owners, in stepped Red Bull to refurbish the track to it's current form and the return of Formula One racing for the 2014 Grand Prix season.

As with many of the tracks due to feature in Project CARS 2, the Red Bull Ring will be laserscanned and it will be possible to play the track in a number of weather conditions, including nigh, rain and snow!

Project CARS 2 should be releasing for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC towards the end of September 2017.

Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 7.jpg
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community and find out all you need to know about the simulation prior to release in September.

Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 4.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 5.jpgProject CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 3.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 6.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 8.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 9.jpg

Do you like the look of the attached screenshots? Are you happy to see the Red Bull Ring included in the game? What tracks currently unannounced would you like to see added to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Sell out and get to drive a real race car, fck yeah...
Exactly, in the end he is making money because people are stupid. Nothing wrong with that as long as it is not illegal. If you can think outside the box looking inside it (because that's where most people are) and have a good idea use it. Plenty of people are doing that, just look at some "youtubers" :D
Personally tho the aggressive SMS marketing is having the contrary effect. But losing one customer won't make them a difference anyway

well that's maybe what the simmers think, the thing is that it sold way more compies then any other more serious sim
You are right but that's because their marketing was far superior to anything I've seen out of the other sim developers. Their reputation due to past projects played a huge factor as well. The only other racing sim I've ever seen advertised is R3E in ADAC GT masters.

Last edited:
I'm personally excited for PCARS2. I had fun with the original entry, lots of content, everything modeled well, good weather physics, and the GT cars were decent enough. Of course there were issues with the forcefeedback and open-wheel cars, and Monaco, and just all around glitches... It didn't come without frustrations, but that's what iterations are for. I have no reason to expect that it won't be an improvement on the original. And surely we shouldn't be mad that they're improving their games with each iteration, right?

Exactly, in the end he is making money because people are stupid. Nothing wrong with that as long as it is not illegal. If you can think outside the box looking inside it (because that's where most people are) and have a good idea use it. Plenty of people are doing that, just look at some "youtubers" :D
Personally tho the aggressive SMS marketing is having the contrary effect. But losing one customer won't make them a difference anyway
For you it isn't weird that people from our sim racing media are being bought by sim racing companies?
I don't have anything against Austin getting a better job or receiving an amateur race car, but Austin runs a "news-opinion" blog. In the real world that would be extremely unethical but seems that people don't see sim racing business as real world. For us is hobby but these are registered companies we're talking about which have sim racing products. Is very unethical to buy people behind the news or media that operate in the same field where you sell your products.

If is okay with you that SMS or Ian Bell have Austin from PRC and Montoya from Virtualr as employees then it should be okay if Bram from RD and Wim from bsimracing also become his employees. Will be totally legit for sim racing.

I want a race car too, do I have to start hate blog too ? :)

it's interesting that say there is product A, and most people like it, most journalist like it and then there are few hard core simmers that don't like it, and it's automatically assumed that everyone else has been bought, because the product is crap so nobody could like it without being bought ... weird
Just because the news are independent from a 3rd party person or company it doesn't mean those news don't have deceitful agenda from the author on its own. So that isn't the point. But actually being tied to a 3rd party, especially from the same niche, is not ethical for both sides involved. The person bought will always be under influence from the one who did it.

If I would be the director of a football newspaper and I would start working for a private football club I would need to stop being the director of a newspaper that publishes articles about all football clubs.

You are right but that's because their marketing was far superior to anything I've seen out of the other sim developers. Their reputation due to past projects played a huge factor as well. The only other racing sim I've ever seen advertised is R3E in ADAC GT masters.
In DTM as well.
Last time i was at a DTM race, all three manufacturers, and also some independent companies, had R3E simulators at their booths, with big Raceroom banners, where you could drive the respective car, while the marketing people told you that the drivers are using it for training as well.
Pretty good product placement i'd say, if Raceroom hadn't been the most convincing sim for me already anyway.

If FFB is good enough, I don't really care about that ultra advanced physics gurus talk about.i prefer AMS rather than rFactor2 and we all know rFactor2 physics engine is the most advanced...so...good enough physics + superior realistic FFB is what I look in a title.

And if they nail that with all that different weather and cars combos...there is nothing that doesn't sound funny in it for me:roflmao:

If you want to know more about pcars 2 physics, this is an interesting read: https://pretendracecars.net/2017/04/27/prc-invades-bandai-namco-germany/

"What you’re asking yourself the most at this point is probably: “Tell us how the cars drive and feel!”, so let me answer your question. The overall feel, as Austin described a few days ago is very similar to some of the very good cars in rFactor 2; for me that means that it feels very realistic and predictable, but I know there are people out there that really dislike rFactor 2’s physics. The tire behavior is very similar, flat-spotting is simulated at least to the same degree that rFactor 2 simulates it (albeit the force feedback doesn’t try to rip your arms off you once you flatspotted your tire) and PCARS2’s tire model also incorporates an advanced form of tire deformation"

For you it isn't weird that people from our sim racing media are being bought by sim racing companies?
I don't have anything against Austin getting a better job or receiving an amateur race car, but Austin runs a "news-opinion" blog. In the real world that would be extremely unethical but seems that people don't see sim racing business as real world. For us is hobby but these are registered companies we're talking about which have sim racing products. Is very unethical to buy people behind the news or media that operate in the same field where you sell your products.

If is okay with you that SMS or Ian Bell have Austin from PRC and Montoya from Virtualr as employees then it should be okay if Bram from RD and Wim from bsimracing also become his employees. Will be totally legit for sim racing.
The part I said their aggressive marketing is having the contrary effect on me should show I'm not ok with that at all ;)
And honestly considering how the news groups have been behaving lately I would not be surprised if that dude end up being hired by one of them. Very annoying times we live...

well that's maybe what the simmers think, the thing is that it sold way more compies then any other more serious sim
To me at least it's not only about simracing tho.
It's sad that people reward this stuff. But as I said: if you can make money on stupid people go for it ;)

Last edited:
I find it funny (and pathetic) that when a company seeks out to invite some of their biggest critics to help develop their project, that from the "community" it's seen as "buying them" or that the critics are "selling out".

For whatever reason, some people will just everything SMS does. If PRC was working with Kunos (which they tried), the same reaction wouldn't be happening.

If you want to know more about pcars 2 physics, this is an interesting read: https://notworking.url/2017/04/27/prc-invades-bandai-namco-germany/

"What you’re asking yourself the most at this point is probably: “Tell us how the cars drive and feel!”, so let me answer your question. The overall feel, as Austin described a few days ago is very similar to some of the very good cars in rFactor 2; for me that means that it feels very realistic and predictable, but I know there are people out there that really dislike rFactor 2’s physics. The tire behavior is very similar, flat-spotting is simulated at least to the same degree that rFactor 2 simulates it (albeit the force feedback doesn’t try to rip your arms off you once you flatspotted your tire) and PCARS2’s tire model also incorporates an advanced form of tire deformation"

And that is a prime and perfectly suitable example of what happens when a blog site/website sells out or is bought by a developer in one form or another;). Suddenly there is nothing but positive vibes and little titbits of information that make it look good. One day even this valuable free, independent and informative place just might do the same. I hope not. I have now stopped reading any sites or blogs that were once independent and interesting. To me they are just media extensions of the company that offers the incentives. Read them with a pinch of salt.

As for the game itself, well I'll buy it on steam and obtain a refund after trying it if it's not up to scratch again. Treating it as a demo. Simple as that.:thumbsup:

For all it's shortcomings Pcars 1 had (not that many actually in it's final state), it was probably the best thing that could happen to sim racing in general, and also to all other simracing developers (Reiza, Kunos, Sector3, etc.)

And that is a prime and perfectly suitable example of what happens when a blog site/website sells out or is bought by a developer in one form or another;). Suddenly there is nothing but positive vibes and little titbits of information that make it look good.
Apparently you didn't read the article, because otherwise you wouldn't claim false statements.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back