PC2 Introducing Red Bull Ring in Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 10.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have released some incredible looking images from the newly confirmed Red Bull Ring that due to be added to Project CARS 2 upon release later this year.

Developed from the remains of the once legendary Österreichring that held Formula One Grand Prix from 1970 until 1987, the Red Bull Ring has undergone many changes and states of ownership since reopening its doors ahead of the 1997 Grand Prix season. Initially named A1 Ring, the track was met with mixed reviews from drivers, especially lacking in enthusiasm from those lucky enough to have driven the daunting original 5.9km circuit which was universally adored by all who took to the winding tarmac surface, despite the obvious lack of modern safety considerations and downright dangerous sections of track that have claimed the lives of several drivers during its 26 years of operation.

With a modern push for safety consideration sweeping through motorsports the world over, 1995 saw the legendary track undergo a major redesign in order to bring it back to current safety standards, with the goal of attracting Formula One racing back to the county for the first time since the 1987 running of the event. Step up Formula One track designer Hermann Tilke who penned a new 4.3km layout that bore very little resemblance to the original Österreichring. Despite the limitations placed upon Tilke and the subsequent popular opinion that the new track has failed to live up to its illustrious predecessor, the now titled Red Bull Ring has proven to be a solid track that often produces reasonable racing action, mostly due to three long straights followed immediately by long braking zones and tight hairpin corners.

Following a prolonged period of inactivity after an aborted attempt at redeveloping the circuit by the current owners, in stepped Red Bull to refurbish the track to it's current form and the return of Formula One racing for the 2014 Grand Prix season.

As with many of the tracks due to feature in Project CARS 2, the Red Bull Ring will be laserscanned and it will be possible to play the track in a number of weather conditions, including nigh, rain and snow!

Project CARS 2 should be releasing for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC towards the end of September 2017.

Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 7.jpg
Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community and find out all you need to know about the simulation prior to release in September.

Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 4.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 5.jpgProject CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 3.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 6.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 8.jpg Project CARS 2 Red Bull Ring 9.jpg

Do you like the look of the attached screenshots? Are you happy to see the Red Bull Ring included in the game? What tracks currently unannounced would you like to see added to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Great looking weather simulator.
Yes, I'm ironic. I prefer car/physics simulation (personal preference) above everything. In the other hands, if I would to show somebody simracing untouched something "wowistic", which should persuade him to think "hmm SimRacin is so cool" I would pick PCars.

Well , if the driving part is anywhere near the first one it will be another Screen shot generator and nothing more.... sincerely hope i am wrong. Just the other day i was seeing some stream of a car i really like, the Ginetta GT4 and i was surprised how SMS is not ashamed of allowing that sound to be streamed.... its like Bees are chocking all the time... theres bad car Sounds and then theres this....

I'm not a PCars fanboy, as I spend just about all my time driving in and coding for AC, but I would like for PCars2 to get somewhere close to living up to the hype. Actual weather and 24 hour time cycles? That sounds awesome to me. If they can fix (at least most of) the physics issues this has the potential to be a great game.

Great looking weather simulator.
Yes, I'm ironic. I prefer car/physics simulation (personal preference) above everything. In the other hands, if I would to show somebody simracing untouched something "wowistic", which should persuade him to think "hmm SimRacin is so cool" I would pick PCars.

Studying how tires behave on varied surfaces also translates into innovations for tarmac behavior as well. Even iRacing noticed how they could improve their tire model with the work they did for their dirt racing.

it looks very wet and reflective :cautious:

Does it only rain or snow in Austria....and Snow??? that would be a red flag :D
Two years ago i was at the Red Bull Ring for a DTM race weekend, and it was raining all weekend :roflmao: great racing though, including one big crash in the Audi TT Cup with one heavily burning Audi..quite the scene, burning car within the heavy rain.

Rain is so essential in racing, i wouldn't dare to call a game "simulation" when it doesn't contain rain, or even humidity...we are all playing games, no matter if they are called Assetto Corsa, Automobilista or Project Cars..

Hoping for good FFB, at least reaching AC in this case. While i must say, since i regularly race in R3E and AMS, AC is really just acceptable regarding FFB.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back