Intro and recommendations from you all

Excited to post my rig here. Used for iRacing only. Overall goal is to improve actual HPDE track times and competitive.

Photo is slightly old, have since added Frex H shifter, SRP clutch pedal, and Fanatec Porsche GT3 wheel. Running Pimax 8K-X with KDMAS.

Installing 4 BK G2's this weekend, on chassis corners. Planning to run Simhub.
2021-12-01 15.10.21.jpg
So.... from here...

I plan to do lots of testing with the 4 BK'ers in their four chassis points. After that, I am ALREADY set on adding a PT Actuators belt tensioner Tension R. I am choosing PT Actuators given that I may one day also add other PT Actuators hardware.

But my question is this, from that point on, if I was ONLY going to do 1 more thing (yes, that is a hypthothetical ;)), which is actually recommended for MAXIMIZING drive realism/accuracy/feeling?

Option 1 - add PT Actuators actuation setup, likely Scorpion S 4-actuator kit
Option 2 - add GS-5 seat from SimXperience or otherwise hold out for PT Actuator seat
Option 3 - add DIY hardware to existing seat, likely 1 BK Concerto and 8 Dayton's directly to the back
Option 4 - add SRS cushions to existing seat

I realize that with this option set, there are inherent tradeoffs, but that is really the nature of the question.

Thanks for providing this great community!

Good to be here!

Best,
Kris

Option 1 - add PT Actuators actuation setup, likely Scorpion S 4-actuator kit
Option 2 - add GS-5 seat from SimXperience or otherwise hold out for PT Actuator seat
Option 3 - add DIY hardware to existing seat, likely 1 BK Concerto and 8 Dayton's directly to the back
Option 4 - add SRS cushions to existing seat
Based on these 4 options, I'd suggest going with Option 1 first.

G-Force seats are fun, but they are not a substitute for quality motion actuators.

Ok sounds great, and probably a pretty easy decision.

After reading a littlre more today, I am thinking either 3 or 4 actuators in the 100mm size.

Ok so plot twist, if I were to do 2 of the options above, what do people recommend? My guess is #1 and #3?

That's quite different than what I've seen/heard. Do you have any links or references to review? Seems like the vast majority of folks are using BKs or similar haptics - all with different configs, but mostly for the same goal.

Ok sounds like a good summary is this:
- Placing 4 BK G2's at the 4 chassis corners and nothing at the seat is not optimal, its wasting energy

So the options are something like:
- Option 1 - 1 under the pedals and 2 on the seat (3 total)
- Option 2 - 2 under the pedals and 2 on the seat (4 total)
- Option 3 - 2 at front chassis corners since its ok to lose energy given 2 is overkill at the front, and 2 on the seat (4 total)

Does anyone have a preference on the 2 on seat? Is it best to have 1 left underneath + 1 right underneath ---- or 1 underneath + 1 behind the back? Leaning to underneath+behind the back unless left+right is that discernable...

• Deleted member 197115

For tactile recommendations, discussion you better switch to this thread.

Ok sounds like a good summary is this:
- Placing 4 BK G2's at the 4 chassis corners and nothing at the seat is not optimal, its wasting energy

So the options are something like:
- Option 1 - 1 under the pedals and 2 on the seat (3 total)
- Option 2 - 2 under the pedals and 2 on the seat (4 total)
- Option 3 - 2 at front chassis corners since its ok to lose energy given 2 is overkill at the front, and 2 on the seat (4 total)

Does anyone have a preference on the 2 on seat? Is it best to have 1 left underneath + 1 right underneath ---- or 1 underneath + 1 behind the back? Leaning to underneath+behind the back unless left+right is that discernable...
Basically your rig is one rigid object. If you attach shakers to the 4 corners, you will not really be able to feel what shaker is vibrating, so very limited directional sensation but a lot of moved mass and dissipated energy that you will not feel.

That is why concentrating the energy where it has the most effect is critical. I would put a focus on the seat with 2 to 3 units there and 1 unit on the pedals. Isolation is critical for best effect and directional sensation. This could either be done by e.g. mounting the shakers directly to the seat shell or by means of isolating certain parts like the seat or pedal deck from the rest of the rig via rubber bobbins, springs or other methods.

I would really recommend taking a look at the tactile thread, among many, many others, @metaInwood and me e.g. have just shown what we have done to isolate those components on one of the last pages.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back