Interview: Reiza Studios unveils its crowdfunding plans

1669787_10153429244482743_3901168639409614507_o.jpg

When Reiza announced that June would have been a great month for Game Stock Car Extreme, we figured it was the right time to have a chat with the Brazilian dev team. We got in touch with studio boss Renato Simioni, and it seems like our timing was perfect indeed...

RaceDepartment: Let's start with something more general. I think the last couple of years have seen some kind of mainstream resurgence of the racing sim - after being relegated to a niche for several years, blockbusters like Project Cars and Assetto Corsa brought back the genre to the forefront. What do you think of the current simracing panorama, and how can things evolve from here?

Renato Simioni: Interest in realistic racers does seem to be increasing - most importantly it seems there's been some osmosis from the console userbase to the PC. Up until very recently there used to be this dichotomy where console racers (which at least marketed themselves for realism) were extremely popular and sold by the millions, while PC sims were this ultra-small hardcore niche. These days, due to a variety of factors, the gap between these markets seem to have been bridged somewhat, which is a very good thing. As technology continues to evolve and the scope for game development becomes greater, so do the costs involved, so it's very important that the simracing market grows to sustain these developments and push us to the next level.

RD: Steam is clearly the leading digital distribution platform for games, so it's an important gateway to a whole new audience. How did the GSCE Steam launch go?

Reiza: It went very well, and is still going remarkably well considering we're working with titles initially released almost 2 year ago. In hindsight we clearly underestimated how much of a role Steam has in the PC gaming market place, otherwise we'd have pushed to make the move sooner. Fortunately it does not seem like we made the move too late.

RD: GSCE is fairly unique because of its stock content - it's based on a relatively obscure racing series, with an unusual but fantastic selection of cars and tracks, yet it has managed to find a global audience. Are you going to include more Brazilian content, or perhaps focus on some other racing series in the future?

Reiza: As GSC evolved, it has become less about giving the content a proper context, and more about delivering great driving & racing experiences, which is really what simracing is mostly about. At the core though it still has Stock Car Brasil, or the brazilian racing scene in general as its main theme, so while context may no longer be required for adittional content, we still feel it is valuable to have at least some complete real-life series in the package.

11406475_10153429244622743_2011567790562124653_o.jpg

RD: After PCars (and now PCars 2) using the WMD platform and Assetto Corsa using Early Access, would you consider using any kind of crowdfunding or Early Access?

Reiza: Crowdfunding is certainly a valuable path, and actually something we are just about to experiment to try raise additional funds to continue developing GSCE further. Personally I'm not big on the idea of giving people access to alpha builds and such. While I can see how having that insight and the option (even if merely illusory) of helping develop the game is an appealing novelty to some, as an user myself I prefer my initial contact with a creative project to be with something that at least resembles the finished article. Some of my most memorable gaming experiences derived from trying a game or a sim for the first time, so I feel lifting the curtains too early can spoil that magic somewhat. Thus as a developer it's unlikely we'd elect to go in that direction ourselves. Open betas at a later stage of development on the other hand are very possible, given the nature of most sims these days where development is always ongoing and that initial platform is built on for years, whatever the initial release is it's bound to evolve substantially anyway so you might as well release it and get a revenue stream to boost that development. So long as the core features are in place and functioning properly.

RD
: Any news or details on that rumored Senna game?

Reiza: Can't share much yet, but there will be a lot more info about it before the end of the year. One thing I could advance is that while Ayrton Senna will certainly be part of our next project, its scope has probably become too broad now to call it "the Senna game".

RD
:
You've said that June is going to be a great month for GSCE. Can we get some kind of sneak peek at what's cooking in the Reiza kitchen?

Reiza: The base of the announcement is that we have licensed the ISI Motor source code, and while that's especially relevant to development of our next title, it can also have some impact into the current titles and that is what has driven us to launch a crowdfunding campaign. Our goal with the campaign, which starts tomorrow, will basically be to raise the funds to further develop GSCE (and also FTruck), making it a bigger & better simracing platform, before we wrap it up for good and shift focus to the development of our next title.

RD: Something more personal: what's your favorite car\track combo in simracing, and why?

Reiza: All our cars and all our tracks really. Bit of an obvious reply I guess but if you consider how much time we look into various cars & tracks before we elect to develop them - precisely because we figure these will provide great experiences - and then how much time we spend developing & polishing them, picking favorites becomes almost like choosing one of your own children.. Naturally the ones coming up the pipeline at any given time have the focus so right now I'm very fond of tossing the SuperV8 around Montreal, hah.

RD: Thank you for your time.

Reiza's Crowdfunding campaign is now live on Indiegogo, while the update for Game Stock Car Extreme will be released on June 26.

Last edited:
Knowing the high quality sounds Reiza produce for their cars, the V8 sound at the end of the crowdfunding trailer is a placeholder probably, huh ? It sounds very synthetic and nothing like the real thing. The otherwise great trailer ends on a down note with that poor sound in the last couple seconds...

Fittipaldi...right...going to a race...Ok...But men...no dinner with Ian Bell? You mad? I mean...you serious? Fittipaldi...huh Who is he?Who! !!!

(Im sad I dont have 2k $ to throw you!!!!:(:(:(:()

I will support this as long as the driving dynamics don't get "dumbed down" in order to be more accessible to the masses. As long as Reiza keep the current philosophy of hardcore sim NO MATTER WHAT (sort of like ISI do) NO MATTER HOW LURING MORE MONEY AND SALES ARE then I will support them to the end.

Please don't do a GTR 2, a PCars, or what Kunos did with Assetto Corsa (go drive Netkar Pro - Kunos' previous, "non-mainstream" oriented sim, and you'll see what I mean about AC). As long as that doesn't change about Reiza then I will keep supporting them and telling everyone I can to buy their products.

Reiza are awesome, and I pray nothing changes about their vehicle dynamics and kinematics philosophy.

I will support this as long as the driving dynamics don't get "dumbed down" in order to be more accessible to the masses. As long as Reiza keep the current philosophy of hardcore sim NO MATTER WHAT (sort of like ISI do) NO MATTER HOW LURING MORE MONEY AND SALES ARE then I will support them to the end.

Please don't do a GTR 2, a PCars, or what Kunos did with Assetto Corsa (go drive Netkar Pro - Kunos' previous, "non-mainstream" oriented sim, and you'll see what I mean about AC). As long as that doesn't change about Reiza then I will keep supporting them and telling everyone I can to buy their products.

Reiza are awesome, and I pray nothing changes about their vehicle dynamics and kinematics philosophy.
Sorry but I wouldn't call AC a physics downgrade from nkpro. It is an evolution of how they interpret the tire model, general game and car physics. Besides, the nkpro engine wasn't good enough for the road cars they wanted to do, like the street cars currently in AC. Take any street or race cars in real life on a race track, and you'll find plenty of similarities and accuracy between the current sim racing games and real life.

Maybe according to you it was a downgrade from nkpro because AC is now easier to drive than nkpro. So probably real life is easier to drive than nkpro?

Sorry but I wouldn't call AC a physics downgrade from nkpro. It is an evolution of how they interpret the tire model, general game and car physics. Besides, the nkpro engine wasn't good enough for the road cars they wanted to do, like the street cars currently in AC. Take any street or race cars in real life on a race track, and you'll find plenty of similarities and accuracy between the current sim racing games and real life.

Maybe according to you it was a downgrade from nkpro because AC is now easier to drive than nkpro. So probably real life is easier to drive than nkpro?
Maybe the modelling of tyres at very low speeds and high slip angles is better with AC, other than that, I believe NKPro to be much better in-terms of handling dynamics and complexity.

It's not an evolution but rather made from scratch; Kunos even said this in an interview years ago.

P.S. It has nothing to do with "easy" or "hard" to drive. It's about general vehicle behavior and actions/reactions based on throttle/brake/steering inputs.

Anyways my point is, I hope Reiza doesn't change it's "philosophy" with regards to physics. Of course further physics improvements should be made now that they have the rights to edit coding, that's a given, but only in the name of realism/accuracy/complexity.

Last edited:
:) I didn't say an evolution of the code that was there on nkpro. I said an evolution of how they interpret and apply the physics and other car systems. And same like you said, is an evolution of how they think the tires, which is seen in AC compared to nkpro.

And I really believe if the devs who did sim racing games more than a decade ago, they wouldn't do again the way they did it back then. And I believe their new games would be easier to drive at normal speeds, but more challenging and less repetitive robotic movements on the limit. For example iracing. Where you just gotta learn the tricks of the pedals and steering wheel from the game, and do the same for the whole race, lap after lap.

Last edited:

Actually netkar was very easy to drive, I even surprised myself by putting ftarget into the top 10 on a number of tracks within a handful of laps, in fact, I recall uploading my replays to RD when I did it.
AC has more dynamic ffb, but I can't say that their physics strike me as having the same detail that little netkar had, especially weight transfer/lateral load.

I think he means Rf2 is a disappointment to him.and because Reiza use the same engine they will dissapoint with the current and new game.And he's not very pleased with the lack of support for AMD.
What he needs to realize is how much further Reiza have taken the engine and how much more they'v squeezed out of it.They are a different company with a different take on their product.So I for one am very confident that Reiza will surpass anything the Rf2 boys can do.
And anyway,Rf2 is a great sim and a real challenge.So what if it aint as pretty as Pcars or AC,it drives awesome:D

Well as I understand it Reiza has licensed the rF1 engine code and so will be developing that further, apparently to include among other things DX12 support, in their next game. Its unlikely, based on commentary on the engine differences from someone like Niels here, that Reiza is particularly interested in going for the rF2 engine and their own development of the gmotor2 engine will go down a different path than ISI's new engine.

I'd say that Reiza going and making their own engine is basically what they're doing, only they're using a very reliable base from which to accomplish this.

And anyway,Rf2 is a great sim and a real challenge.So what if it aint as pretty as Pcars or AC,it drives awesome:D
I remember reading a few times that ISI commitent is to keep it close to real life even on the graphic part. Personally I love rF2 graphics since it doesn't look like the typical gaming graphics like AC or PCars. But that is just me.
I just hope they'll give us a full immersion at some point. I want 3D animations and events, all of them. Pit stops, rescue team, etc (ofc no need flying human pieces lol) and visible to everyone ven in online races.
For now I'm in GSC, my next sim is either rF2 or next Reiza sim. Depends on what they'll offer. From Reiza I already heard 3d animations and possibility to take used tires.

Reiza licensed the rF1 engine

How i understood it:
So far Reiza had to alter the behavior of rF1 by "injecting" code, now they can change the source code to their liking which gives them full control and most likely all the freedom they need to put life to all their ideas.

Of course they are stuck in the limitations of the isiMotor2 engine (that's the one in rF1, right?), but i don't see really big limitations for Reiza there when it comes to car handling.
Don't know the engine's capabilities when it comes to graphics, tho.

Yes P*Funk, I was pretty much saying that rF1 has been squeezed to the limits and unless they (Reiza) end up re-writing a bunch of code or essentially re-coding to the point that they have a completely new framework as a result (a la Simbin/Sector3), the rF1 'engine' in it's present state is exhausted.
I think that's a bit of specious reasoning. Most game engines are basically the same engine constantly updated and repurposed to lesser or greater degrees.

Considering the issues I have with how a pretty modern engine like Kunos' handles many aspects of driving I see no evidence that newer is necessarily better, not without careful reflection.

That I pretty much enjoy driving SCE more than any other sim I've played from the contemporary era I can't quite figure out how the engine its on is spent, particularly when its been ripped open to development by the new code licensing.

To each his own, but I find your reasoning unconvincing, but thankfully they're your dollars and not mine. ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%