Interesting New "Let's Make: Billboards" Video Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Let's Make Billboards Video.png

Upcoming YouTube personality freew67 has released an interesting video guide sharing his knowledge and tips on how to create Billboards for racing games in 3D Max.

I noticed this video when it was retweeted by Studio 397's Chris Elliott and, for someone such as myself who is, err.. artistically challenged, these kinds of video are simply essential viewing if one wishing to learn the ropes in the world of content creation. In this video from the relatively unknown YouTube content creator freew67, we have a look at some useful tips and tricks to employ when creating Billboards as trackside furniture for our racing simulations.

freew67 goes through the process of creating both tall and short billboards and how one would go about building something from scratch. freew67 has only produced a few short videos so far under this username, some slightly more obscure than others, but despite his relatively modest release back catalogue to date the 'Let's Make: Billboards' does offer an entertaining and informative viewing experience. I for one hope to see more of this kind of content coming from freew67 in the near future.

You can catch the latest Let's Make' video below:

Here at RaceDepartment we hold league and club racing events across a number of the sim racing games available today. If sim racing with fellow race fans is your cup of tea, have a look through our racing events calendar and see if anything takes your fancy. All you need is a Premium membership and a desire to go wheel to wheel and have some fun!

We also host a whole bunch of different mods for many of the current racing games on the market today. Have a look over at the sub forum for your favourite game and check out the respective modding section to see what's happening for your sim of choice. Don't forget to leave a comment to let the mod author know what you think!

Did you find this video interesting and useful? Would you like to see more of this kind of thing featured at RaceDepartment? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Freew67 unknown, he has been in the rF1 and 2 modding world for a number of years now. He has some brilliant tutorials for the budding modder on his Youtube site. Exchanged many a chat with this guy and totally recommend his youtube site if you want to learn some track building.

Ah so he's a known person! Excellent! I've not noticed him before and looking under his uploads it didn't seem too well stocked under the "lets make" section so I assumed he was fairly new to this sort of thing.

Really good video however, I've book marked him for future reference as I love this sort of information sharing type of thing. The more we learn, the better other people can do stuff while I remain a dunce and keep banging my head against a wall not understanding a thing about anything anyone says :roflmao: !

Yes his Let's make section is new but he has several other sections which are awesome and my recommendation for anyone wishing to learn to track build from scratch.

@Paul Jeffrey Thanks for the article! I noticed all of a sudden a small surge on the Billboards video and I had no clue why. Now I know! lol Flash and Andy thanks for the kind words as well. I have been messing about in sim racing since 2005 and posted my first tutorial in 2011. My playlist on Youtube called Tutorials is mainly about creating the track base. Granted, its geared towards ovals since that is my background in sim racing and irl. I always felt I was making road courses that only had 4 left turns. I made another set of tutorials called Tuesdays Top Tutorial Tips Today! and those explain how to use some 3DS Max functions that I normally use during track creation.

I help people all the time asking how to do this or that but most of the time they don't understand the basics of Max. I figured with my Let's Make Tutorials it will hopefully explain how to make basic props for tracks and teach them Max basics at the same time. I am trying to keep these tutorials as simple as possible just for that reason. I see so many tracks (esp for rF) that basically use the same props and funny enough a few are borrowed from my tracks. I hope people find these tutorials and attempt to make props geared specifically towards their project. I just haven't really posted these video's all over sim forums because I didn't want to be that guy!

Thanks again Paul and Race Department for the article. My kids thought I was cool for at least one day when they saw the article. Shame that only lasted one day. :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back