Interesting issue

Temps are really too high and i see 11 degrees difference in CPU1 and CPU2 while both have the same load.

It can be possible the surface of your cooler and/or cpu is not totally flat.

Try to remove the cooler and lap both cpu and cooler, here you will find some instructions:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/

After this is done, take 99% alcohol and clean the cooler and cpu surface.

Use only a half of rise grain cool pasta and use a creditcard to apply i on the cpu. Do not use too much here as this pasta is only to fill up the small scratches on the cpu surface which are not visible with the eye. Also clean this creditcard with alcohol before doing this.

When you are done attach the cooler according to the instruction manual. If you use an AMD stock cooler i suggest you to replace it with a decent cooler eg a Scythe or other. those are not that expensive and they will lower the temps for about 10 - 15 degrees.

There are also very good watercoolers on the market which are easy to install and not expensive either, like this one: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/1/

I hope this will help you.

I saw on the screenshot he has it overclocked, look at the first shot.

I think he can try it without lapping first as his overclock is not very high only 5.38%, but he has to clean the cpu and cooler and add a small amount of cooling pasta.

For about 35 euro's he can buy a decent cooler which will give him much lower temps and then he also can overclock a bit more and try to to reach max temps arround 65 degrees under load.

As an example, I run my Q6600 at 50% overclock and Idle it is between 30 and 35 degrees with a Scythe Mugen, not lapped but with a litle bit of cooling pasta as i described.

Ye I see now, still those temps are still mega high for that slight oc!
It could be dust, dust can have a big effect on CPU temps if the cooler is all bogged up and if it's not seated correctly. Stock cooler to I guess?

For about 35 euro's he can buy a decent cooler which will give him much lower temps and then he also can overclock a bit more and try to to reach max temps arround 65 degrees under load.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=13141&tid=frooct

He should get lower then 65c with that ^ cheap to. I get max 57C with E4500@3.4ghz when the room is really warm ( no lapping ) it usually only maxes out at around 52c after a session on prime, of course general gaming won't go over 50C. Down side is it uses pushpins!

Sorry I havent been online, I cant buy off the net.

Ill share something with you all, The first service this pc had, the shop had put too much HS Gel and it leaked onto the cpu pins, they had also bent one of the cpu pins, I managed to straighten it without breaking it, so maybe thats why the core temps/usage are uneven.

I have took OC off now I only just realised putting am2 boost on reduces ram frequency and overall stability, its acting a little better but definitely needs a service.

will probably cost me a new board and cpu....

You should go to the shop and ask them what their profession is, maybe they better go bake some cookies. How can they put so many pasta on it, I should ask them for atleast a new CPU.

I am sure now that this is your problem, I think cleaning it all and put the cooler on as i said you will get a good result and if you use a cooler from Scythe or other good brand it would be even better.

When the case is open use a vacuumcleaner to suck the dust out of all parts, indeed dust is a computers largest enemy.

They refused to replace the cpu so i told them to polite f*** off, and have been using a better shop who seem to know what there talking about, and have promised to help me fix it cheap seen as I have bought my gfx, psu, hdd, and mobo from there and have had no problems except the cpu overheating which is not their fault so I trust them.

I try to get as much dust out as possible but kind of hard with the fans considering they are very flimsy and easily breakable....ive been wanting to buy a faster cpu anyway, plus i want to get some corsair or OZ gold ram.

ive been wanting to buy a faster cpu anyway, plus i want to get some corsair or OZ gold ram.

I would advise you not to upgrade your CPU and RAM on this board, you will hardly notice it as the AM2 platform is kinda outdated now.

Better safe the money and wait a bit until you can buy a decent Intel Core i7 860 with a P55 board and some OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR3-1866 CL9 RAM.

If you do want an upgrade, buy an SSD, for about 190 euro's you can get an Intel X25-M Postville 80 GB. That makes sense a lot, as this upgrade you can use in a future system. Use the SSD for the OS and you will notice a huge perfomance increase, don't forget the harddisk is the slowest part in the computer, if you speed it up you will notice it very good. I have bought myself one of these last month and it seems i have a brandnew pc, it feels soo much more responsive and when i will buy my new system in about 1 year then i can add this SSD, it will not be outdated then.

I know they get cheaper but this is with all pc stuff, i really hate that parts are outdated very fast. But i think the Intel is still the best SSD which is payable on the market for now. Look at the reviews, and with the latest firmware they support TRIM in Windows 7. this really works great and i see my SSD is getting faster and faster.

I also think if you ever want to sell it, an Intel would be a better seller on the second hand market, everyone knows Intel.

I decided not to wait anymore, if i want a new part i will buy it, i also bought an HD5850, i also know they will be cheaper next year hbut i want to enjoy it now.

I combined my new ATI with my old 8800 GTS 640 Geforce. I use the Geforce for Physx and in 3D Mark Vantage my CPU score went up from 12.500 to 28.400. The overall score went up 2.700 points by adding the Geforce to my system, and it is rock stable. For now i am happy with it.

SSD = Solid State Driver. It's the future. 500gb is plenty for a HDD if it's a good one, depends what model it is if it's slow or not. Currently though unless you have money to splash out then SSD's are hard to justify getting. But if you have money to burn then go for the Intel of course but if not something like the Falcon shows great performance for it's price but for me it's still hard to spend over £100 on one. A fast HDD like a Samsung F3 does the job fine.

I think a video will be nice to see the difference between a HDD and a SSD.

2 identical machines, one with SSD and one with HDD. This performance increase you will never get with a CPU and RAM upgrade, and the SSD can be used for a few years and moved from system to system.

It is a normal HDD, it has 8MB cache and thats not that much, it is good for storage so I think you will notice the difference with an SSD and Windows 7 a lot.
I forgot to mention that it is better to have Windows & with an SSD.
Windows 7 is better optimised for SSD it has TRIM and the Intel makes use of that now, not all brands have their firmware ready to use it.

Explanation about TRIM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_(SSD_command))

Buy one if you can Jason, Intel of course if you can but for the price the Falcon offers very good performance for it's value if you can't push the funds to high.

I think a video will be nice to see the difference between a HDD and a SSD.

If I had the money would love one but a £60 hdd is expensive for me right now, annoying but thats the way it is. So I'll wait at least a year or so for SSD's to come down in price and offer bigger storage for that price.

First thing to do is get it serviced and find out how much its going to cost to get it running sweet again (hasnt done for a while, always had gfx blending where it shouldnt even with the gtx260, like arms going through body in pes instead of the model being solid)

if its going to cost too much ill buy a new one.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 376 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%