Intel 12th-Gen CPUs

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I think I'll stick with my 4000MHz running at 3800MHz for now. I'll probably wait for a new CPU and motherboard before I buy memory again then I can just put my entire current system in another box.

I think I'll stick with my 4000MHz running at 3800MHz for now. I'll probably wait for a new CPU and motherboard before I buy memory again then I can just put my entire current system in another box.
For sure. If youre sticks are specced for 4000 MHz yet you have them lowered to 3800, they most likely have room for some big timing improvements. Have you lowered any of the primary / secondary / tertiary timings?

I got 7-12 fps improvements in some tests I did a while back just from improving a bunch of timings.

Last edited:
For sure. If youre sticks are specced for 4000 MHz yet you have them lowered to 3800, they most likely have room for some big timing improvements. Have you lowered any of the primary / secondary / tertiary timings?

I got 7-12 fps improvements in some tests I did a while back just from improving a bunch of timings.
Given I'm in VR exclusively as long as I don't have reprojection is doesn't matter much. Same difference with my 2080Ti. My i9-9900K with 3600MHz memory was doing a great job and I probably should have waited one more year to bother upgrading it, but I was anxious to update my development system and it got the i9-9900K.

This is the first time I've heard of 12th gen CPU and poor contact with the cooling plate because the contact frame won't hold the CPU down flat.

How many of you are using products like this that clamp the CPU down "flat" ?

According to this article, you could cool the CPU by 10 C just by installing one of these.

Last edited:
Yes the intel LGA retention frame only has two points of contact instead of uniform pressure around the whole heat spreader plate, so the IHS can bend potentially.

This is the original design for Thermal Grizzly by Derbauer:

This is the original design for Thermal Grizzly by Derbauer:
The video I listed includes the Thermal Grizzly which they highly recommend.

They show it at $35 and the Thermalright for $15 on Amazon actually tested slightly better. They had another for under $5 that you could order from China and wait a few months to get.

The difference they said was that the Thermal Grizzly was manufactured in Germany with no outsourcing, so it has higher labor costs. They did find it had better tolerances nice markings to help set the torque and better instructions. The Thermalright also had sharp edges, but these edges were on away from the CPU and didn't impact performance.

But they concluded that they all seemed to work much better than stock.

I realize that compared to the CPU price these are all pretty inexpensive devices. Considering what we spend to cool our systems these all seem like very worthwhile upgrades.

Last edited:
Must be embarrassing for Intel engineers to see this. 7 degrees, that's not small at all.
The Intel engineers are probably sitting there like "see, finance guys? We told you... But you didn't let us make it right".

If it's one thing I learnt, it's that one engineer can screw up but if you have a proper working system in place with multiple brains watching over each other, it's always the ones responsible for the money that cause screw ups...

Last edited:
I will be getting the TG/der8auer one when it is available at my local online retailer. No rush for me. I saw the original GN video when it first came out. I prefer to support the original, rather than a copy, especially if the diff is only $20-25.

I used the der8auer de-lid kit on my previous 8700k and it made a huge diff in temps. I honestly don't have a huge issue with my 12900k temps (right now.....), but I'm ready to put this contact frame into place, knowing it will simply make things even better.

This is the first time I've heard of 12th gen CPU and poor contact with the cooling plate because the contact frame won't hold the CPU down flat.

How many of you are using products like this that clamp the CPU down "flat" ?

According to this article, you could cool the CPU by 10 C just by installing one of these.

It's very common and very well-known. It's been known since very early in the 12th gen's life with people discovering and recommending using the "washer mod". This then lead to products like the Thermalright and Thermal Grizzly one.

I got the Thermalright one for about $12.

It's best to use it from the very first time ever installing the CPU so the CPU doesn't have a chance to get deformed over time but people that have had the issue happen to them have also reported improvements even though they previously had the CPU installed with the stock ILM. So, either way, I'd definitely get it.

I watched the GamersNexus installation instructions which were a bit more involved than that.

They included spinning the bolts backwards to feel for where the thead mesh starts and then slowly tightening each corner in steps.

Sort of like bolting down a valve cover on an engine, but without a torque wrench.

Last edited:
I watched the GamersNexus installation instructions which were a bit more involved than that.

They included spinning the bolts backwards to feel for where the thead mesh starts and then slowly tightening each corner in steps.

Sort of like bolting down a valve cover on an engine, but without a torque wrench.
Right. It's good practice do always do that in general when have to screw multiple screws in the same amount without having much indicator of how much they're screwed in and when it's vital they're all screwed in the same amount (or thereabouts). Most of the times it's not that important but sometimes, such as this situation, it is.

Put the screw/bolt in, un-screw till it clicks and stop immediately. Then add like a quarter- or half-turn to secure it's position. This way you know you've started all 4 screws from the same starting point. Then go around and turn each screw the same amount (eg. half a turn) - alternating each screw in a cross-pattern of course.

I used that same method (un-screw until clicks) to install my cooler onto the motherboard. I also used a strip of white-out on the bolts so that I could see exactly how much they were turned so as to make perfect half- or quarter-turns. The markings on the screws I added really help. I found it much more accurate then just judging by the angle your tool is at.

So.... AMD may have the best gaming CPU.... Times change.

Seems like we're back to the newest products topping all current products, no matter if AMD or Intel.
Exciting times!

Really looking forward to the 13th of September, when the review embargo lifts!
And then to October, when the B650 boards will be released!

With the current prices and expected prices here in Germany, the situation is a mess though for "low budget but still high fps in simracing" people, coming from my 10600k.

12th gen not efficient enough and mobos too expensive,
5600x great value but not a big enough performance upgrade,
7600x + ddr5 too expensive compared to 12th gen.

12400f with a cheap mobo would get rid of the microstutters during race starts too. But not really the upgrade I fancy to buy :whistling:

And no 5600X3D in sight..

Guess I'll wait another year? :rolleyes:

Still waiting for the ATX 3.0 power supplies to drop, Still waiting for the 40 series GPU's to drop. Still waiting for my next VR headset to drop to make the other two even worth considering.

Lots of waiting.....

Oh god again listening to Jay. The same guy who told everyone to buy gpus a week or so before they dropped massively in price. He’s watercooling pc plumber and that’s all he’s good for.

I wouldn’t touch AMD zen4 until they release the 3D cache models in Q1 next year. It will overcome all of the latency issues using DDR 5, they said in the AMD presentation with ddr5 you still have 65ns latency on the new zen4 cpus (exact same as zen3). So I bet the 1% lows in ACC will be higher on the 5800x3D than the 7700x. Even if the average is higher on a 7700x.

So in my view a 7800x3D will be the one to get. It also makes ram speed almost irrelevant as well saving money on that, as well as no need for tuning anything either. Just plug it in turn on XMP and go.

For budget though, it seems like Intel and AMD are reversing roles. $300 for a 6 core cpu!

I bet the x3D models will come out in-between the regular 7000 series and the 8000 series. Sort of like how the 3090 Ti came out in-between the 3000 and 4000 series (and like how the 5800x3D came out in-between the 5000 and 7000 series). Therefore, when the 7800x3D comes out, you'll be thinking "should I buy the 7800x3D or wait until the 8000 series comes out"?

It's obviously a good way to increase sales and profits but a little frustrating for consumers because you then have another upgrade not far away. I wish/hope the 7000x3D chips and 4090 Ti cards will come out right away when the regular 7000 chips and 4080 come out, then I wouldn't mind spending the money on them knowing I'll have the absolute top product for the next 1 - 2 years. But it's difficult to spend the money on them when they're released half-way through because you know the new generation will be coming out soon.

P.S. Can't wait to pair an NV 4000 series GPU with the Pimax 12K. The Pimax 12K and the Pimax Crystal are going to destroy all VR headsets in the consumer VR market for the next 1 - 3 years.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years