Installed but not running at all (unsolved mystery)

F

FelipeFan

• FelipeFan

Hey,

I bought this game today and I've installed it abotu 4 times now and every single time it's not even done the config it said it would do in the manual instantly, I have to do it myself.

Okay so thats okay, but the game doesn't actually even run AT ALL!!

I don't know what else to try now, cause I'm just getting annoied at it now.

I bought it at GAME in the UK and they said I won't be able to return it!! LAME!!

Any help would be ace!!

Late

Hey,

I bought this game today and I've installed it abotu 4 times now and every single time it's not even done the config it said it would do in the manual instantly, I have to do it myself.

Okay so thats okay, but the game doesn't actually even run AT ALL!!

I don't know what else to try now, cause I'm just getting annoied at it now.

I bought it at GAME in the UK and they said I won't be able to return it!! LAME!!

Any help would be ace!!

Late
Tell them to replace not refund your copy. If they refuse, contact trading standards. Assuming its a faulty disc.

• FelipeFan

Actually, I've finally got it sorted now.

It was to do with Steam and is at least working now.

However it is still very slow and stutters every 20 seconds per lap whichg is very annoying.

I've got 2Gb RAM, 2.8GHz AMD Dual Core Processor and a graphics card built in to my motherboard and not sure what type it is. How would I find out what type it is??

the on board graphics will cause a problem no matter what it is. You will need to turn all the graphics options as low as they will go mate. If you look around you should find a card which will run evo quite cheaply...as in £30 ish

• FelipeFan

cool.

I actually just asked my dad, who actually rebuilt my pc and it turns out it just has the chip of a NVDIA GeForce 8200 490MB Card in the moptherboard!!

Should this have this undesired affect????

It's probably better than most integrated, I could run R07 demo on ATI X200 integrated on lowest settings at 800x600 with a single car on track, never tried a full field.

The integrated graphics you should be able to turn off in your BIOS anyway :)

• FelipeFan

I hadn't tried running rFactor on my new Pc but when I did I was very surprised that I was getting 30 fps on Max detail on everything.

I don't understand how 2 games that are very similar in graphics etc be running in such different ways. I know rFactor isn't as reliant on graphics as GTR evo but still, is there something wrong with my config file??

I've alos tried changing the graphics in game but it hasn't actually changed anything graphically!!

HELP

• FelipeFan

I've decided to stop using Steam becuase it was annoying me and I couldn't add any more tracks etc so I uninstalled it and re-installed the offline version.

Now it's not even starting up like the problem I had in the first place.

ARGH...HELP!!!

cool.

I actually just asked my dad, who actually rebuilt my pc and it turns out it just has the chip of a NVDIA GeForce 8200 490MB Card in the moptherboard!!

Should this have this undesired affect????

That video card is sharing your system RAM to use as video memory. So you're really killing your FPS on both ends.

The more video memory the game needs, the less system RAM you have available to run the game.

You can get a very decent add-on video card that has it's own video RAM for very cheap. You will see a HUGE difference.

You will need at least 512mb video RAM to go above medium in-game visual settings.

Recommended requirements
- Processor 3 GHz Intel Pentium IV or 100% compatible
- Memory 2 GB RAM
- Hard Drive 4.7 GB free space
- 3D Accelerator DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 512 MB memory
- Sound Card DirectX 9 compatible
http://www.gtr-evolution.com/support.htm

• FelipeFan

Couldn't I just, if I've got this correct, just buy more RAM?

I've got up to 4 slots of DDR2 so in theory could get up to 6 GB of it.

Couldn't I just, if I've got this correct, just buy more RAM?

I've got up to 4 slots of DDR2 so in theory could get up to 6 GB of it.

Only a 64-bit operating system is able to use more than 3.25GB of RAM. So even upgrading to 4GB is a waste. You will only be able to use 3.25GB

Besides, video RAM is much much faster than system RAM.

And even if a 32-bit operating system could use all 4GB, you are still limited by the 2GB address space limit of an application running in a 32-bit OS.

On 32-bit systems, when an application goes above the 2GB limit, as some games do due to bugs in programming, the game crashes.

So by using your onboard video card, you are really limiting the amount of RAM the game can use.

With a 64-bit OS, not only can you use more than 4GB of system RAM, applications now have a 4GB address space limit.

So if you have say 8GB of RAM, it is possible to give an application the full 4GB address space while 4GB of RAM free for the OS.

I have Vista x64 with 8GB of RAM and it's glorious :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 74 12.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 53 8.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 6.0%
  • < 5 years