install problem

Hi guys,

I ran rFactor on my old PC for ages, installing it on my new PC has turned into a nightmare:

I download a fresh copy of the rFactor setup1255 (and one of the lite version for good measure), I do the install, the game fires up and tries to connect to the net so I can type in my code. Before I ever get a chance to do that, this screen
rFactorfail.jpg
appears and ends my install :(

What I have done so far:
downloaded a fresh setup1255
contacted their customer support who gave me a new code (which I was never able to use because I never get to the proper screen)
cleaned the registry to delete all traces of rFactor

my specs:
windows7 64
i7 intel chip
Mozilla Firefox as standard browser
DSL link

anyone got any idea?

help would be much appreciated

From Bee at ISI Forum.

Can I run rFactor on Windows 7?

rFactor will run on Windows 7 32/64 bit. We have many users running rFactor on Windows 7 without issue. Most issues running under Windows 7 can be resolved by right-clicking on the rFactor.exe and selecting "Run As Administrator...".

Note that when using Windows 7 with UAC (User Account Control) enabled, your rFactor User files will be saved in a subfolder of your Documents folder instead of the rFactor installation folder.​
The activation code is not manually entered. It's downloaded to you automatically to you application file. You send a email to Trymedia with the code for proof of purchase.

I get an error "Missing Information" or "Can't Open Page" when starting rFactor

1. In My Computer->Tools->Folder Options view tab, enable "Show hidden files and folders".

2. Delete the trymedia license folder located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" on Windows XP or "C:\ProgramData" on Vista/7

3. Run rFactor and reactivate your game as instructed here using your 32 digit activation code. If you have lost your activation code, click here for instructions on how to retrieve it.​

thx Doug, looks like the best shot I've had so far. Been looking for that folder all over but cannot locate it. Do you happen to know what it is exactly called? A search for "Trymedia" on C: gave no results. I turned both the "All Users" folder and the C:\Programme and C:programme (x86) folders upside down. no sign of this folder anywhere.

Did you do this? "In My Computer->Tools->Folder Options view tab, enable "Show hidden files and folders". Because it's a hidden file it may not show up in search. Don't quote me on that. It's definitely called Trymedia.

I'm guessing you getting into the game without the Buy or Demo window coming up? If so it's there somewhere.

Have you check to see were your "user profile" is? It needs to be in rF directory. You may get more answers if you ask here http://isiforums.net/f/forum.php .

thx Doug, currently I am in contact with Trymedia customer service who told me to look for .lcn (licence) files in a folder called "Trymedia". Seems that it contains my old licence which blocks the new install. However, neither the folder nor the file are on my harddrive, I did a search including "secret" files on all partitions and still no joy. It remains a mystery, but a mytery that keeps me out of the RDLMS :( :( :( I have also now started contacting the people at ISI through the forum you linked to.

mmm that doesn't make any sense to me. If you had a licence rF would have just started up with create a profile window and just gone from there. Oh well. They'll see you right.

The best for the new year.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 373 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years