Inside Kerbs - Gentlemen Agreement (?)

Andreas Knöpke

Let's drive side by side!
Hey guys,

I know this may very well be a rather pointless discussion, hence the goal is not necessarily to come to a universal agreement but I just wanna raise some sort of awareness for something I've seen quite a lot recently.

I am, of course, aware that many things in AC are still in Alpha and thus unfinished. ;)

Okay, here we go :unsure:

Many tracks in AC (still) allow for a rather nonsense cutting over the inner kerbs despite actually featuring a special high kerb element as seen in the picture below (yellow rectangle). As you may know, hitting that elevated kerb directly with a tire will upset your car in a pretty realistic way.

However, if you manage to get your inside tires even beyond that kerb (to the inside of the corner), meaning you basically drive right over the kerb, then your car will most likely remain on the ground and not be upset at all. Needless to say how much this is improving lap times. :speechless:

corner_marker2ynuz8.jpg

So I thought since most of us here are looking for an experience as realistic as possible, we could perhaps think / discuss about not using such nonsense cuts in corners. :cool:

Again, I know the game is far from ready and it's just somewhat meaningless clubs races currently, but still I figured raising a certain awareness for realism may not be wrong at this time. Especially as we are seeing many drivers being new to simracing these days. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
How about the SIM in sim racing. Aren't we simulating the real thing? Apart from the very hilarious real life picture above you don't see real cars cutting corners like that either.

To me allowing what the game allows without caring if its real or not is just the difference between a simracer and a gamer.
I not saying i allow that but i simply dont against it if people do that, i dont corner cutting myself but since the game allow it so i wont say anything if other people do that. Thats all.

By the way, me, as merely a gamer & a very sim rookie actually lap faster than at least 90% of the simracer so pls dont talk like simracer is something & gamer is nothing. I dont think so. Am sorry but I personally quite hate when people look down at me saying am arcade kid or some kind of stupid gamer when discussing thing.

Anyway i think i should stop now before a war against me begin. Have a good time everyone.

By the way, me, as merely a gamer & a very sim rookie actually lap faster than at least 90% of the simracer so pls dont talk like simracer is something & gamer is nothing. I dont think so. Am sorry but I personally quite hate when people look down at me saying am arcade kid or some kind of stupid gamer when discussing thing.

I think maybe you're missing the point of what he posted. It isn't about who is fast or slow, it's about the philosophy and approach you apply to racing. I don't think the post was meant in anyway personal.

On a more general note about this,

The guys that raced in the early days when RD was but a small club of like minded racers was that we all wanted to simulate the motorsport that they loved. That much like a real racing club down at your local circuit we'd do things the way they are in reality. This meant only a few basic rules need to be followed most of the time in order to approach the racing as you would in reality. Following the generally accepted rules of the track, flags, lapping etiquet etc, and respecting the other drivers and track limits. In order to simplify the track limits part the universal approach is that the white/yellow line _always_ defines the track limits.

All this works well when practiced by everybody. The general ethos is to drive the car as you would if it was your car, and you had to pick up the repair bill every weekend if you drove like a douche.

Exactly the same ethos should be applied when racing here in Grid, Dirt, Rfactor, AC, or the Red Bull F1 simulator. So again it's not about sim vs arcade titles or even skill sets, only about sim mentality. The mentality to contribute to a realistic, safe, and respectful environment to race in, much like you'd find at your local weekend warriors club.

Of course there will always be a few who overstep the mark and disregard their fellow drivers. That sort of disrespect to you, me, and anyone else on the grid will be shunned and there are processes in place to try and deal with it but it relies on all you guys giving us a helping hand and outing those drivers via incident reports.

How about the SIM in sim racing. Aren't we simulating the real thing? Apart from the very hilarious real life picture above you don't see real cars cutting corners like that either.

To me allowing what the game allows without caring if its real or not is just the difference between a simracer and a gamer.

Why is it not real?? If I go at my local track can I not do it?? Just because some divisions and organisations have rules against it doesnt make it unreal!
I am not abiding by FIA rules, I only follow what AC dictates and that is 2 wheels on tarmac or kerbs is acceptable. Those are the AC rules!

Ofc if I race in YOUR events I will have to follow YOUR rules, but that doesnt make any other set of rules unrealistic.

So if the game would allow that a driver instead of taking the first chicane at Monza goes straight ahead ignoring an entire chicane you would be fine with that as well as long as you can do the same?

YES!!
I would not be racing Monza rather than some similar track but I dont see the problem with it.
Have you never raced in a purely fictional track that doesnt exist irl??

Am sorry but I personally quite hate when people look down at me saying am arcade kid or some kind of stupid gamer when discussing thing.

I neither said arcade kid or stupid gamer btw. Also I am not looking up or down to you or anybody else for having different views on how to experience a sim. I am simply stating that in my opinion what you described its the difference between a gamer and a sim racer.

If Assetto Corsa because of the different views caters to both gamers and sim racers thats fine by me as long as that corner cutting won't happen here at RD.

@djkostas you are completely missing the point what realism means. I can have a perfectly fine realistic racing experience on a total made up non-laserscanned fictional track.

Nope, Dave did, three posts up :thumbsup:
Thanks, but he didnt. :(

He explained very well why the rules are what they are here in RD and as I mentioned before I have no problem with those rules applied on RD events but not why everybody else who abides by AC rules, which are also pretty clear, gets called unrealistic, cutter, cheater and whatever else! And that I do have a problem with...

Our rules are more or less a carbon copy of the real racing rules.

The moment cutting is allowed by the real life racing organisations we'll adjust our rules accordingly.

Nobody called you a cheater for cutting btw. Its called unrealistic, which is something else.

If you want an experience where you and other drivers race each on the grass, through gravel traps and on the outside of the astroturf thats perfectly fine by me. Realistic compared to real life racing? Not at all.

Well we have a rule at RD
that we all agreed to when getting a licence.
  • Do not deliberately cut the track. The white (or yellow) lines mark the edge of the road. Do not cross them with more than two wheels.
so if drivers are doing this they are breaking our rules, and need reporting

all drivers that are unsure of the rules please have another look
CLICK ME

Once you have read them you can like the post to show you have read it and understood it if you wish.

2 wheels inside the White lines at all times has always been the way I have raced in Sims and in real life. Enough said.

Do we have a way of viewing a full race replay? Seems very limited at the moment.
Yes you can.

Look in the replay folder - usually on your C drive under your \my documents\asseto corsa\ folder. Your last driving session will be there named simply 'cr'. It's overwritten after each race so to save it, rename the file to something meaningful to you.

Here's a nifty tool - junction - explained in this thread that allows you to save your replays to another drive/folder. Especially useful if your default drive is a SSD one and you don't want it getting filled up.

Note you may have to change your replay file size to the max too ie 500MB in the AC Options Menu.

Last edited:
Yes you can.

Look in the replay folder - usually on your C drive under your \my documents\asseto corsa\ folder. Your last driving session will be there named simply 'cr'. It's overwritten after each race so to save it, rename the file to something meaningful to you.

Here's a nifty tool - junction - explained in this thread that allows you to save your replays to another drive/folder. Especially useful if your default drive is a SSD one and you don't want it getting filled up.

Note you may have to change your replay file size to the max too ie 500MB in the AC Options Menu.
I think Justin meant, that the replay file size (like you already know) is limited to 1/2 Gb by Assetto Corsa itself and there is, to my knowledge, no trick to increase that.
So therefore one cannot watch the replay of an entire race that's taking up more than this 1/2 Gb of information.
The 'cr' file temporarly stores the replay of the last run, albeit is again limited to the 1/2 Gb capacity.

Yes that limit exists but so far for all the races I have run that limit has not been hit.

Last race I ran had 6 cars/20 laps. I'll double check the file size tonight when I get home but I believe the whole race is viewable and the file size was around 400MB.

Edit to add:

Race Length - ~ 23 minutes
File size - 353 MB

Last edited:

See how deep enters the real

If you do that in a official session in real life the stewards will give penalties, in practice they are usually fine with it but they tend to warn the drivers and teams before qualify and race. You often hear team radios warning drivers to not do it again, even if they only done it once.

I think everyone should respect the rules of real racing since we are trying to simulate it, it will be more fun for everyone.

See how deep enters the real
That also depends on the race direction. The Formula 1 for example allows drivers to run wide on the ascari exit as it unsettle the car less when they cross the white line completely then trying to stay in between them.

We have a few exceptions in league racing also on some tracks but those exceptions are only valid when they have been officially announced.

In case of the Z4 in the video we don't know the context. Is it an official practice or just a test day as then you can do whatever you wish (more or less).

You have been warned for cutting the track with 340km/h :)

You have my agreement on track limits. It's easier, gentler and less dodgy. Feels better, more intune and more immerseve to drive the car with respect of track limits. I'm glad it's brought up and the hope lies with developers further improving the system for hotlapping as well.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 102 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 78 9.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.3%