Insane stutter @ Portimao

I encountered some insane stutter when trying Portimao for the first time today, it's unplayable a good amount of the time. First lap usually is rather stutter free, sometimes not, but from lap 2 and on I get massive stutters.
My FPS is jumping between 80 to 120 and occasionally will dip down to 59 (lowest I've seen it), but I can have these stutters even at 100+ FPS. I've checked CPU and RAM usage when this happens and nothing suspicious there.
I've tried:
Several cars, same issue.
Other trakcs, no issues.
Rebooting my system, no difference.

I've attached my dxdiag to this post but here's a quick rundown on my specs:
Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
i5 2500k stock clock
8GB 1333mhz RAM
Geforce GTX780 ASUS OC (I haven't OC'ed further)

Any ideas? Anyone mind testing their Portimao and see if it's acting normally?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    78.1 KB · Views: 674
just gave Portimao a run with your settings Peter, they had my FPS bouncing of the rev limiter :rolleyes: a solid 120 fps without a drop
Kjell i to run the new beta drivers (340.43) but i didn't notice much of a difference with them so i didn't mention it but it might be worth a try if nothing else works

True true and I'm sure I can live without it, but even though my main focus is enjoying a good SIM for it's driving experience I still want my games to look the best they can, and if someone else is running the same game at higher settings than me with the same hardware spec (or lower), then there's something wrong somewhere on my rig and I want to get to the bottom of it.
As I've said earlier, I'll try your settings and at the end of the day I might just have to run the game with lower settings, but I'm not giving up just yet ^^

I'm still having stutter, and as I mentioned in this thread; http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/recommendations.89691/#post-1763869
I've tried lowering some settings and have less stutter now but it's still present.
@William Wester and @Peter Koch do you guys run the game off a SSD?
Don't think that should make a difference as it should be done loading once I'm on track, but I don't understand what's going on here.
Also, are you running with ShadowPlay activated (but not recording/streaming)? I'll try disable that now to see if it makes any difference.
@Peter Koch are you running lower settings than those in Williams post at the thread I linked?

This track still has performance issues. I tested it a few minutes ago. I posted the solution some time ago in another thread. Lower the track detail level from high to medium. For some reason on this track, it causes a 10-12fps difference. At the high settings, my framerate drops to 48-50 in two places on this track, first is as pass the pit area, and second is when you come up the hill with that round building to your left. At the medium setting, my framerate stays locked at 60fps.

For good measure though and this applies to all tracks, set shadow split to off, motion blur to fast, and reflection type to simple cube map. Those settings affect all tracks to some degree.

Last edited:
I cannot run R3E without VSync "enabled", regardless of the FPS I am getting (100-120 FPS). Some of my other racing sims VSync may or may not help improve the fluidity of the graphics but R3E and DTM with a full field looks and run great only if I have VSync enabled. I don't know if VSync makes a bigger difference for those running very high resolutions (triple screen).

Note, there are other R3E tracks that I can run pretty well without vSync but Portimao is one that studders without. I honestly think your issue with Portimao will be gone by enabling vSync as the only other difference with hardware is my i7 to your i5 but R3E is not hard on the CPU (only 25-30% for most tracks), and I don't think the additional system RAM in mine is really needed in this case.

Note, there are other R3E tracks that I can run pretty well without vSync but Portimao is one that studders without. I honestly think your issue with Portimao will be gone by enabling vSync as the only other difference with hardware is my i7 to your i5 but R3E is not hard on the CPU (only 25-30% for most tracks), and I don't think the additional system RAM in mine is really needed in this case.
My thoughts exactly.

I'll update y'all on the results of my testing, which will be the last for a while due to going abroad on vacation for 3 weeks, 3 whole weeks without simracing will be tough but I think I can (barely) make it! xD

Regarding the stutter, well it's really weird...
I logged on yesterday, testing my current settings just to confirm I still had stutter, which I did.
I turned on vSync, et voila, all stutter gone!
I jacked up Contact Shadows to 8 again and turned on Dynamic Reflections, still no stutter!
I turned on FXAA again, I am now at all settings on/maxed bar Shadow Split and Reflection type which both are at minimum settings, I've got vSync on, this is the settings I had when I started this thread but et voila, still no stutter!
I turned off vSync, stutter is back, vSync back on, stutter is gone again.
Dunno what to make out of it, maybe vSync looked like it was on in the UI while it was in fact not working? I think this must be it because when I reread my first post I see that I had FPS jumping up to over 100, which ofc would not be the case if vSync was working, but I KNOW the first thing I did was turn off vSync to try fix the stutter, so those figures might be from after that attempt, not sure.

Anyways, problem solved! Thanks to everyone who have contributed and tried to help! Much love! :inlove:

Some games just seem to run smoother with V-sync enabled,.. I have always had V-sync enabled on R3E so maybe that's why I never noticed. rF2 also seems to run smoother with it enabled as long as you can maintain somewhere close to 60fps, if it has to drop to 30's or 40's though, it can start to run a little jerky. iRacing runs badly with V-sync enabled; it adds a LOT of input lag and its extremely noticeable even in the setup screens.

@kjell, glad you got it sorted, I am not surprised is was vSync that fixed it, more surprised that you say it didn't initially. Anyway, it doesn't matter as long as you can enjoy R3E. I have been using vSync in R3E from the beginning so that is why all the tracks seem to run the same, performance wise but some are less optimized than others I guess.

I created a shortcut on the desktop. and wrote those lines. this helped me- -maxMem=8192 -maxVRAM=2048

"E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\RRRE.exe" -maxMem=8192 -maxVRAM=2048

The game now start,s super fast to;)

Moderator feel free to edit mine post:)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 366 28.0%