PC1 Input lag

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4444-Unusual-Steering-Feeling

Have you played any other sim before? Whatever it is doing is just not right. Going around a slow speed corner, I pretty much have to go as slow as I need to to keep from turning my wheel anymore than 20º; because if I do, that car turns sideways INSTANTLY.

I'm sorry if I can't really explain it, but this is coming from someone who has raced in somewhere around 800+, and won a good 75+ ranked league races in sims from rFactor 1+2, GTR2, iRacing, NetKar, and Richard Burns Rally. Something is just not right.

Experienced sim racer bedazzled over Shift3, I mean pcars modern physics engine.

Yet again, I don't get it... that hasn't happened once with my G25.

I've been sim racing since Feb 2008, and my first sim (plus the one I enjoy and play the most) was/is RACE 07/GTR Evo. I've also driven in iRacing, FVA and rFactor, and have spent some quality time with the demos of NetKar Pro and Game Stock Car, having fallen in love instantly with both and putting GSC on my "to buy" list.

I don't consider myself a bad sim racer, and my pace is almost always respectable in online events. I have never used a gamepad, and never will. There has to be something going on somewhere if pCARS feels, to me, at least close in terms of steering and FFB to the sims I've played, but doesn't for others.

When Shift was released, they did a TV spot on our motorsport channel, and you could see the huge oversteer when trying to hit the apex, this effect is greatly reduced but still present in pcars b166.....it's like the car is in one piece, like a stiff but flexible piece of metal tubing, so flex at the front equals flex at the back a few 10ths later.

pcars also has that annoying weighting on entry into corners, similar to F1 2011*, ie a heavy cluggy FFB feel.
* this effect can be removed at the cost of floaty high speed steering.

The thing is, if people won't/don't acknowledge it, presumably it won't be fixed, and IMO, is either a lazy way to program or the result of multi-platforming, as none of my sims have this, with the exception of the ridiculous RaceRoom F1 clone from simbin of all people.

There's a difference.

F1 2010/2011 and its set-ups looks (hard to judge without access to a modern F1 vehicle!) impossible to recreate in real life.

It kinda works out within their physics engine though... I mean, anyone can drive it normally and it looks and handles similar to (console) F1 games 10 years ago. People feel convinced by a good game (ah well, those 2 codies games got issues other then handling, sadly) and they can "drive like" Hamilton or Vettel.

Real cars that don't just feel "right" on steering and throttle are not hard to build, again it's not easy to find examples for me with limited access to sport or race cars. A few of those heavy german or american cars (tanks :D ) can't physically feel good on the track without modifications for instance (and they were never ment to be) and they doesn't for performance driving from my experience, same as some cheaper cars (look at i4 engine cars gearing and throttle response, many manufactors don't want to build fun small cars... instead you don't feel the car so that anyone who drives it feels "safer" )

Some of the 'good' road cars even feel quite good (and it's hard to find them better or even close in PC sims without relying on mods by the way) in Shift series without modifications (Nissan, Porsche sports car)

One thing why I wonder why they are so focussed on weirder cars (caterham, mono there's even a kart) currently... maybe to get them as good as possible first??

i feel for some people that they are having lag problems.. bought this today via steam and 4
hours in i havent had any of these problems....yes i turn shadows to low and reflections too but everything else is either ultra or high and im having a blast and just won the clio touring car championship ...you must show a little patience concerning racing (its called race craft for a reason) and considering the thousands of pc hardware configerations out there this racing simulator has hit the ground running and even though your frustrations are understandable just give the studio time to sort them out.......fyi.. im running an nvidia 680 gtx on driver number 335.23 i NEVER ever use the latest drivers ....unload that crappy latest driver and go with mine you wont regret it (i hope this helps you get the game running like mine because it runs well for me)

i feel for some people that they are having lag problems.. bought this today via steam and 4
hours in i havent had any of these problems....yes i turn shadows to low and reflections too but everything else is either ultra or high and im having a blast and just won the clio touring car championship ...you must show a little patience concerning racing (its called race craft for a reason) and considering the thousands of pc hardware configerations out there this racing simulator has hit the ground running and even though your frustrations are understandable just give the studio time to sort them out.......fyi.. im running an nvidia 680 gtx on driver number 335.23 i NEVER ever use the latest drivers ....unload that crappy latest driver and go with mine you wont regret it (i hope this helps you get the game running like mine because it runs well for me)

Do you realise this is a thread from 2012?

The car/s feel the same/similair to the horrid Simbin F1 clone in their Raceroom nonsense, and the tragically bad 2008 BMW F1 for rfactor2{uninstalled}....no amount of tweaking will remove a fundamental defect of the physics model.
I'am using a G25 wheel and MSI GTX-970. I experience no input lag. The car FF feels great after i turned up FF to 100. The car handles correctly through the turns with enough warning when the rear starts sliding out.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but your not using the view that deliberately looks to apex are you? The cockpit view (through the helmet) does this and gives the impression of input lag. It looks nice and 'movie like' if you steer into it nice and smooth, but any quick change In direction and it's basically impossible to keep track of where the car is facing, as your eyes/view are looking away from the direction the car is travelling. They had this view in NFS Shift as well. Looks nice through the replays, but not for a twisty track at all!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back