IndyCar: St. Pete Race Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
IndyCar St Pete.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the opening round of the NTT IndyCar Series at St. Petersburg!

The wait is over and 2019 is about to begin - the opening round of the much anticipated 2019 NTT IndyCar Series is here - and to start the fun we have the often excellent St. Petersburg street circuit hosting the now traditional season open event.

Plenty of new and experienced talent on the grid, a second season of the new generation car, lots of talent looking to make a mark in the series and potentially any number of race winners lining up on the grid - St. Pete is going to be awesome!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Let's start the discussion here: I really wish they'd run a live stream. I'd happily pay for it, I'd shell out $50 for the season. I'm never going to pay for cable again.

Let's start the discussion here: I really wish they'd run a live stream. I'd happily pay for it, I'd shell out $50 for the season. I'm never going to pay for cable again.

I wish they could geo-block live coverage on YouTube, so us outside the US could have a chance to watch free practice and qualifying legally. Bring it on YouTube, and block the US from watching it.

Qualifying was exciting! Herta was awesome, but was unfortunately penalized and didn't make it to the final 6.
By the way, NBC Sports Gold Package can be purchased and watched outside the US with VPN. It doesn't show races live, but everything else yes :thumbsup:

Theres no commentary on the live stream either. Being apart of the series in a few ways for over 2+ decades, they have totally botched the coverage for 2019. Paywalls, subscriptions, etc. they shot them selves in the foot.

You'd think a series, that last year had its highest tv rating of a single race of 0.3 they'd want more eyeballs. But Hulman/George only care about making money.
Shame.

I would like to pay for a service which I can have the overall picture, but I can also choose between some cameras that show the pilot's vision, how fast he is, which pedals he is pressing. That goes for any championship and not just for F. Indy. Here in Brazil I see most of the F. Indy races on Cable TV. Some are broadcast on open TV.

As a swede, this will be the first season that I'll follow. Not only because of the two swedes in the championship (but yes, it is a big part of it) but also because for the first time since Bräck, I can watch it. They haven't showed Indy Car on Swedish channels/streams since Bräcks era, and now finally I can watch it without hassle and illegal methods (not a fan or pirating, I don't care if you guys do that, but I don't).

As for the weekend thus far, absolutely awesome to see Rosenqvist top 3 i qualy! I'm quite sure that Rosenqvist is the better driver the two, not saying that Ericsson is bad, but Rosenqvist is really good. He just never got the F1-ticket that Ericsson got. Hope for the best of both of them.

On a side note, aren't you guys annoyed that the graphics with the time takes up ~25% of the screen? It feels really clunky and lots of wasted space. F1s and MotoGPs feels so much more clean and effective. Lots of just filler grey, the names and numbers are huge (but the numbers are hard to read on some) and why have a huge timing-screen far from the edges (~120 pixels from the right edge on a 1080 screen) down in the right corner? They really need to update their looks, this looks like worse than F1 did back in ~2001

AnTwd9d.jpg

As a swede, this will be the first season that I'll follow. Not only because of the two swedes in the championship (but yes, it is a big part of it) but also because for the first time since Bräck, I can watch it. They haven't showed Indy Car on Swedish channels/streams since Bräcks era, and now finally I can watch it without hassle and illegal methods (not a fan or pirating, I don't care if you guys do that, but I don't).

As for the weekend thus far, absolutely awesome to see Rosenqvist top 3 i qualy! I'm quite sure that Rosenqvist is the better driver the two, not saying that Ericsson is bad, but Rosenqvist is really good. He just never got the F1-ticket that Ericsson got. Hope for the best of both of them.

!!! Viasat should do a better job of promoting the fact that they broadcast qualifying! I thought I had to torrent it tonight, but you made me check the "sent sport" on Viaplay, and voila! There it is! I know what I'll watch right now! :)

On a side note, aren't you guys annoyed that the graphics with the time takes up ~25% of the screen? It feels really clunky and lots of wasted space. F1s and MotoGPs feels so much more clean and effective. Lots of just filler grey, the names and numbers are huge (but the numbers are hard to read on some) and why have a huge timing-screen far from the edges (~120 pixels from the right edge on a 1080 screen) down in the right corner? They really need to update their looks, this looks like worse than F1 did back in ~2001

AnTwd9d.jpg

I don't think there is a single American series that has a decent TV overlay. IMSA on its international feed is somewhat acceptable instead of being downright terrible and I think that's about it. Even the worst offenders in World or European series (Formula E or WEC to name some) are nowhere near as bad as this, and it's really only minor things that should be adjusted.

Pirating lol if it offends your sensibilities you better not use youtube either ..............:roflmao:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KMan2100/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Me? I'm not offended by it, I'm just tired of the discussion and suggestions about it. If I don't write that I don't pirate I often get comments about how I should pirate it here or use this illegal stream etc. I don't find it morally right to do so, so I don't, but I don't care if others do it. I'm just saying that I want to pay for myself. Youtube has lots of stolen content yes, and I try to avoid that to those channels. Youtube also has lots of legal streams and content as well. And I didn't write my comment as an answer to yours, if that would have been the case I would have quoted you. But I rather avoid the discussion, as I said, but since you seam to have answered to my comment I though I might explain why I wrote that. Cheers

No I just made a short statement I get some of my series from torrents ....big deal !? :O_o:
If someone goes and searches formula 1 2018 and finds races I am happy for them :O_o:

You are the ones making something out of nothing and acting all self righteous

I'd love to watch, however Canadian coverage of Indycar has moved from a regular cable channel (Sportsnet) to a prime cable channel, Sportsnet World, at 20$ a month. Needless to say, Canadian fans are really pissed off by this, because Indycar has always been on regular cable. This will be the first Indy season that I will only watch in parts, because some races will be on NBC, which we all get as part of our cable package. I already have a few streaming subscriptions (Netflix, DAZN, etc.), so I don't want to add yet another 20$ on top of all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.6%