IndyCar league proposal

Hi everybody,

Let's get right to the point: as soon as I first tried the Dallara DW12 IndyCar mod when it was released for RFactor2, I foresaw the great potential it had to bring us an exciting championship opportunity. The car proves to be handy for everybody thanks to its pleasant traction grip and braking stability, both combined with an adequate turn-in and cornering behaviour.

Well, after squeezing the car alongside some friends for quite a few weeks, we all considered to suggest an IndyCar league in RaceDepartment in order to ensure crowded races rather than lonely parades from start to checkered flag, and that's what we are precisely doing right now.

Of course I don't pretend this to be as notorious and serious as Formula SimRacing or whatever; I'd like it to be just for fun - that doesn't mean forgetting about competitiveness and sheer racing, obviously. The key would be to have a fixed calendar with a scheduled 90-minutes Free Practice session, followed by a Qualifying round (maybe with knockout trials, F1 style) for each Grand Prix, that would consist of two short races (reversed grid anyone?). To make sure that everybody has the same opportunities, the drivers would have to respect a very simple rule: not to test out of the 90-minutes Free Practice period.

I know that it's difficult stuff as organisers wouldn't have any control over drivers, we'd have to rely on them and even on ourselves. But that's what would make this league special; having to cope with limited practice time to fine-tune the car, having the ability to maximise the hour-and-a-half period efficiently so as to make the best possible setup. Just like in real life. If that, in addition, favours equality within the grid, what could go wrong if everyone is comitted to the pact?

We'd like to know your opinions about the hypothetical championship first to assess whether it would be viable or not. Thanks for reading and feel free to add any suggestion.

I would be interested to run this league but I'm worried about the not testing until only official events. It will be impossible to do unless you intend to release a vmod or something just before the event that will mean people can't test. Other than that not sure how you could do it.
Love the concept for the whole format and would consider running in it.

I was already thinking about organising a leauge, but have been pretty busy the last few weeks sorry @Bram Hengeveld

I was thinking about a FR35 Leauge, but thr DW12 made for better racing in the races I drove.

You cant really control the limited testing unless you use nin released tracks or something and a few drivers (including me). Prefer to run a test session during the week and then join a few minutes before qualy. I think I rarely got close to 1 hour of testing for the FR35 series, but 50% of the time I didnt do my running before the race, because 1,5 hours practice + qualy + warm up + two races gets you easily around 3 hours and I dont have the most comfortable seat.

For the next Formula leauge I was thinking about introducing weight penalties, so you get a more level playing field.

You just cant handle a dont practice before the race policy. I have raced the car already on some of the tracks the others already have a disadvantage etc and I dont think it will get the field closer.

My experience so far is a quick guy maybe needs 30min maybe 45 to get pretty much everything out of a car. A slower driver often needs longer than that.

@Frederic Schornstein

The plan would be to have Free Practice + Qualifying and WarmUp + Races in two different days. Obviously, we cannot control if people test or not, the only chance is to be confident that everybody would accept the rules. It would be really exciting to get to grips with the track and the car set-up simultaneously.

If not, at least we can provide an officially scheduled Free Practice session to everyone, that means a decent test time for any driver willing to be minimally competitive in the race. I personally do not like having ballast as a method for balancing the field, I would rather consider set-up sharing by the poleman or the Race One winner.

Independently of the format used for the league, I think we can make it to real and therefore spend a really good time driving these cars and competing against each other. That's what is all about ultimately, and I'm glad to see that you guys seem interested on it. :)

Keep it on !

@Frederic Schornstein

The plan would be to have Free Practice + Qualifying and WarmUp + Races in two different days. Obviously, we cannot control if people test or not, the only chance is to be confident that everybody would accept the rules. It would be really exciting to get to grips with the track and the car set-up simultaneously.

If not, at least we can provide an officially scheduled Free Practice session to everyone, that means a decent test time for any driver willing to be minimally competitive in the race. I personally do not like having ballast as a method for balancing the field, I would rather consider set-up sharing by the poleman or the Race One winner.

Independently of the format used for the league, I think we can make it to real and therefore spend a really good time driving these cars and competing against each other. That's what is all about ultimately, and I'm glad to see that you guys seem interested on it. :)

Keep it on !
I only think it would force drivers into too much of a schedule. In weekdays we have a lot of club racing and some drivers to drive in diffrent leauges. As well you would need to change the server so it is only open for several hours.

You could put up a gentlemens agreement, but everything else would make it more complicated for the drivers in terms of schedule and anyway they could practice offline.

I dont think ballast is such a bad thing. In the last FR35 season we always had a small group storming away and then two groups after that. Even if the guys used the race winners setup. You wont get all the drivers within even 3 seconds in ooen wheelers.

As I didnt practice much I most of the time ended up alone between the top groupd and the second group, that was sometimes very dull.

As well a lot of people left the series as they realised they cant get within 2,5 seconds of the leaders and I can fully understand it.

I much rather prefer to have ballast onboard and fight against some other drivers than driving alone for half an hour.
I think you cant deny that.

I only think it would force drivers into too much of a schedule. In weekdays we have a lot of club racing and some drivers to drive in diffrent leauges. As well you would need to change the server so it is only open for several hours.

You could put up a gentlemens agreement, but everything else would make it more complicated for the drivers in terms of schedule and anyway they could practice offline.

I dont think ballast is such a bad thing. In the last FR35 season we always had a small group storming away and then two groups after that. Even if the guys used the race winners setup. You wont get all the drivers within even 3 seconds in ooen wheelers.

As I didnt practice much I most of the time ended up alone between the top groupd and the second group, that was sometimes very dull.

As well a lot of people left the series as they realised they cant get within 2,5 seconds of the leaders and I can fully understand it.

I much rather prefer to have ballast onboard and fight against some other drivers than driving alone for half an hour.
I think you cant deny that.

I was hoping that a reversed grid in the second race would balance things a little bit. Nevertheless, all these suggestions will be discussed and the official regulations will finally be made up of the most backed options.

The plan now is to set up a calendar consisting of about five GP (two races each, ten in total) to be done within the months of July and August. We'd correctly adjust it so as to not to interfer with FSR series or other previously-arranged league events.

If we can collect a field of 10-15 drivers it would be a huge success, teams would be created and subsequently a constructors' championship established (as well as the drivers' one, of course!). Not to forget all the ingredients that make racing what it is: naturally progressing grip, safety car possibilities, changeable weather, tyre wear, fuel consumption, pit stops, mechanical failures, etc.

That's what I'm personally seeking in an atmosphere not as competitive or professional as FSR, something more fun-oriented and able to fill the gap that summer usually supposes.

I was hoping that a reversed grid in the second race would balance things a little bit. Nevertheless, all these suggestions will be discussed and the official regulations will finally be made up of the most backed options.

The plan now is to set up a calendar consisting of about five GP (two races each, ten in total) to be done within the months of July and August. We'd correctly adjust it so as to not to interfer with FSR series or other previously-arranged league events.

If we can collect a field of 10-15 drivers it would be a huge success, teams would be created and subsequently a constructors' championship established (as well as the drivers' one, of course!). Not to forget all the ingredients that make racing what it is: naturally progressing grip, safety car possibilities, changeable weather, tyre wear, fuel consumption, pit stops, mechanical failures, etc.

That's what I'm personally seeking in an atmosphere not as competitive or professional as FSR, something more fun-oriented and able to fill the gap that summer usually supposes.

Yep, in the FR35 series we used two 40min races, but I would much more prefer a 40min and a 20min race and then double points for Race 1 and a 10 place reverse gird.

We had less points for race 2 and 40min was a bit long for that and even with 15places reseversed the grid order was not balanced, because you just have so much time to get back to the front in 40min.

For the DW12 I would prefer to have the possibility to make Race 1 without a pit stop, so tyre wear, tyre choice and pit strategy (1 stop or no stop) come into play. I think the car can do around 35min on one tank.

What tracks would you suggest?

I think the follwing ones would be interesting to keep the american vibe, if you have more ideas just add them. It is basically the only american quality tracks I know at the moment.
- Indy500
- COTA
- Mid-Ohio
- Sebring
- Indy road course

If it is only a 5 round leauge, wr shouldnt use ballast. If you want a fair system you need at least 8 races or more so everything balances out.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Yep, in the FR35 series we used two 40min races, but I would much more prefer a 40min and a 20min race and then double points for Race 1 and a 10 place reverse gird.

We had less points for race 2 and 40min was a bit long for that and even with 15places reseversed the grid order was not balanced, because you just have so much time to get back to the front in 40min.

For the DW12 I would prefer to have the possibility to make Race 1 without a pit stop, so tyre wear, tyre choice and pit strategy (1 stop or no stop) come into play. I think the car can do around 35min on one tank.

What tracks would you suggest?

I think the follwing ones would be interesting to keep the american vibe, if you have more ideas just add them. It is basically the only american quality tracks I know at the moment.
- Indy500
- COTA
- Mid-Ohio
- Sebring
- Indy road course

If it is only a 5 round leauge, wr shouldnt use ballast. If you want a fair system you need at least 8 races or more so everything balances out.

What do you think?

My idea was to have a shorter Race 2 as well, adding the reversed grid feature in order to provide underdogs with a solid chance to get good points or even winning, who knows. The strategy choices will also be present, my plan is to give total freedom so drivers can select whether to have one, two, three or whatever stops, or no stops at all.

In terms of tracks, I have already been doing some laps in Lienz with the IndyCar, and that proves to be a beast combo, it would probably be the high point of the championship. Of course, Indy has to be present in both Oval and Road configurations. Essington Park was very much entertaining too, as well as Sebring.

Mid-Ohio, although a little bit swirling in the last section, could also make it to the calendar. Those interested: please write your thoughts here about the subject, I'm not an American circuit expert :p

My idea was to have a shorter Race 2 as well, adding the reversed grid feature in order to provide underdogs with a solid chance to get good points or even winning, who knows. The strategy choices will also be present, my plan is to give total freedom so drivers can select whether to have one, two, three or whatever stops, or no stops at all.

In terms of tracks, I have already been doing some laps in Lienz with the IndyCar, and that proves to be a beast combo, it would probably be the high point of the championship. Of course, Indy has to be present in both Oval and Road configurations. Essington Park was very much entertaining too, as well as Sebring.

Mid-Ohio, although a little bit swirling in the last section, could also make it to the calendar. Those interested: please write your thoughts here about the subject, I'm not an American circuit expert :p
I think Lienz would be a bit hard for drivers, who don't know the track it is an insane one:D

Essington should fit the car really well. I think both are a lot more fun than Indy road course.

Maybe that would be a fitting calendar
- Essington Park
- COTA
- Indy500 (rolling start)
- Sebring
- There are a few other ovals out there put one here (rolling start)
- Special Event Lienz

I ditched Mid Ohio. It is fun, but extremely hard to overtake on.

I think Lienz would be a bit hard for drivers, who don't know the track it is an insane one:D

Essington should fit the car really well. I think both are a lot more fun than Indy road course.

Maybe that would be a fitting calendar
- Essington Park
- COTA
- Indy500 (rolling start)
- Sebring
- There are a few other ovals out there put one here (rolling start)
- Special Event Lienz

I ditched Mid Ohio. It is fun, but extremely hard to overtake on.

Ok, so we could get it right with that tracks. Consider this draft calendar:

19-20 JUL: Indianapolis Motor Speedway - Oval (R1+R2)
26-27 JUL: Sebring (R1+R2)
02-03 AUG: Essington Park (R1+R2)
09-10 AUG: Lienz (R1+R2)

That sould fit in a gap just before FSR's German Grand Prix.

I think we should rather go with 6 races and expand a bit to the end.

Would that be maintaining the current dates (up to August 10th)? Taking advantage of the FSR holidays would open the door to those drivers from the league interested in getting a bit relaxed in the Indy series. I personally wouldn't mind doing more races as far as we finish by mid-August, but I don't know how people would face having to race during the week.

Would that be maintaining the current dates (up to August 10th)? Taking advantage of the FSR holidays would open the door to those drivers from the league interested in getting a bit relaxed in the Indy series. I personally wouldn't mind doing more races as far as we finish by mid-August, but I don't know how people would face having to race during the week.
We could make it on the non FSR weekends and allow each driver one score drop, so you are able to miss out on one event without compromising your position in the leauge standings.

We could make it on the non FSR weekends and allow each driver one score drop, so you are able to miss out on one event without compromising your position in the leauge standings.

Seems reasonable. We could then have something like this:

26-27 JUL: Circuit Of The Americas (R1+R2)
02-03 JUL: Sebring (R1+R2)
09-10 AUG: Essington Park (R1+R2)
23-24 AUG: Lienz (R1+R2)

What I fear about having six races is that the two final rounds would have bigger time lapses between them that could lead to a lose of interest by the participants. I would personally don't mind to have a sixth race and finishing in September, but we should need to have that threat into account before taking a decission.

Seems reasonable. We could then have something like this:

26-27 JUL: Circuit Of The Americas (R1+R2)
02-03 JUL: Sebring (R1+R2)
09-10 AUG: Essington Park (R1+R2)
23-24 AUG: Lienz (R1+R2)

What I fear about having six races is that the two final rounds would have bigger time lapses between them that could lead to a lose of interest by the participants. I would personally don't mind to have a sixth race and finishing in September, but we should need to have that threat into account before taking a decission.
Ok, I will see what I can do. 19th of July is already next week and so far haven't been involved in running anything in rF2.

Ok, I will see what I can do. 19th of July is already next week and so far haven't been involved in running anything in rF2.

Me neither. But having both of us raced in Bathurst alongside thirty other drivers, we can assure that there's enough potential to make it work. I don't know the chances of having a dedicated RaceDepartment server; if not we could build up our own private game with RFactor Dedicated.

@Frederic Schornstein
@José Javier Buisán

What i can do is give you a server for for a club/test race. (No points)

Saterday 26th:
Track: Suzuka.
Car: DW12

Everything else i'll leave it up to you.
Mod file, real road, rules, weather, race length, etc...

Let me know what you want and i'll set up a server and a sign up thread.
Thanks Gijs I am currently looking into running it as a full leauge, but wont be able to start it before the end of August, so some club races first are nice. So far the car attracted reasonably big fields :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%