IndyCar: Grand Prix of Road America Discussion Thread

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
IndyCar Road America Discussion Thread.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2019 IndyCar Grand Prix of Road America.

One of the finest racing circuits in the United States, Road America plays host to the next round of the 2019 NTT IndyCar Series - an event that is always one of the most popular on the IndyCar schedule.

With Newgarden victorious last time out at Texas, the class of 2019 is back into the swing of the road course portion of the season - and what a track to race on! Who is going to win? It could be pretty much anyone in the field - looking forward to finding out!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Looks like a dry day for qualification, with showers on Sunday. Should make for an interesting race weekend. This and Mosport, aka CTMP, have to be the best two North American tracks. :):thumbsup:. Like David Hobbs says, it seems like you are actually driving somewhere.

love the track, dont care much for the racing series
I have to admit the series has kinda been amateur hour with a few exceptions for the past decade, or two. But in the past couple of years the talent level is improving and with some classic road courses back on the calendar [and F1 going in, let's be nice and say another direction] I am becoming more interested in Indy Car.

N24, Indycar, and Super Formula - that's a very good weekend. Know what I won't be watching? F1.

For those that don't watch Indycar I highly recommend it. Great variety of old-style circuits without miles of paved runoff. Far fewer gimmicks than modern F1 - they do have a push-to-pass but it's a fixed amount for the race, and it can be used for attack and defense, so it's fair for everyone. And while I can't speak from experience, by all accounts the race weekends are way better to attend in person than F1.

It's true that a few of the drivers are only there because they bring a sponsor or their dad owns the team, but that's everywhere in motorsport. Maybe their chances of getting a fluke win are little higher due to more frequent safety cars. For the most part the top teams and drivers are very professional though - the only time this wasn't really the case was the IRL/CART split from 1996-2008.

It's an amazing time being there in person :)

Weather was really nice yesterday and today. It it still a bit questionable for tomorrow and Sunday. I'm hoping it is a little bit better of a race that it was last year. Yes Bourdais passed like 15 cars or something like that but it was a route by Newgarden. The field, from practice is close.

FYI - The Graham Rahal throwback livery is amazing in person! It's really neat as the baseball cap that Graham is wearing for the weekend is also an 80's style throw back.

Reactions: DND
I was a big Indy Car fan in the early 90's up until "The Split", and it really diluted the series until re-unification. I lost interest for a long time, but have been watching again for the last 3 or 4 years and really think they're getting stronger every year. Wish they would return to New Hampshire where I used to go to the races, I think the nearest race to me now is at least a 10 hour drive. I love Road America, never been there but have driven hundreds of sim-laps there, would love to get out to the Indy Car or IMSA race there sometime.

Reactions: DND
LOL at the disagrees..... hes allowed to you know. I wouldn't mind but its not like he put it forward in an insufferable manner.....

The rampant misuse of these little options in the forum makes me laugh
True. Do they disagree that he doesn’t like the series?:O_o:

On the otherhand, posts like that are totally useless and don’t contribute to the topic hand in any way. It almost feels like the only purpose for the post is to provocate a reaction. I really don’t understand why people need to hop in to the discussion topics were they don’t share any interest at all. This is not only a problem in RD, but social media platforms in general.

For example, I don’t feel any urge to jump in Formula E topics just to express that I have no interest in it. I just skip them and leave the discussion to those who are and thus hopefully keep the discussion more in topic.

These things go both ways.

For example, I don’t feel any urge to jump in Formula E topics just to express that I have no interest in it. I just skip them and leave the discussion to those who are and thus hopefully keep the discussion more in topic.

perhaps you don't, but are you saying then that NOONE should, because you don't...? that you and only you do the right thing?

Also at the end of the day, the ability to discuss a subject, shouldn't necessarily be based on your enjoyment thereof, are we to censor peoples opinions, based purely on the fact that they aren't "a fan"?

I don't think the issue lies in what opinions and posts people are typing, but in the fact that people always seem intent in arguing against them, or trying to belittle them or proving theirs is the most relevant. when what should be happening is "fair one, I don't agree, but this is my opinion and that's yours, you aren't going to change mine either way and im not trying to change yours"

people find it impossible and end up in this incessant loop of one-upmanship and petulant arguing. obsessed with proving someone "wrong"

like the really odd argument we constantly see on here of "my sim that I play and someone else developed and I had no input or say in whatsoever, is better than your sim that you play that someone else developed and you had no input or say in whatsoever....."

But I get what youre inferring regardless.

EDIT: and all I see moving forward here, are a lot of individuals proving my point.

Last edited:
Just saying that you don't like something is not discussion. I'd be happy to have a discuss a discussion with someone about WHY they don't like Indycar.

If what they really want is a wide-open competition between manufacturers, I'd agree, it probably isn't the series for them (although they might be hard pressed to find anything they do like these days).

However if someone says they don't like Indycar because they think it's still Billy Boat & co. driving second-hand Oldsmobiles at Disney World, I'd tell them they really need to take another look.

Just saying that you don't like something is not discussion. I'd be happy to have a discuss a discussion with someone about WHY they don't like Indycar.

If what they really want is a wide-open competition between manufacturers, I'd agree, it probably isn't the series for them (although they might be hard pressed to find anything they do like these days).

However if someone says they don't like Indycar because they think it's still Billy Boat & co. driving second-hand Oldsmobiles at Disney World, I'd tell them they really need to take another look.
Indycar>F1, no discussion, in terms of entertainment, indycar does it. This is coming from a Brit who is a massive F1 fan and has been all my life.

N24, Indycar, and Super Formula - that's a very good weekend. Know what I won't be watching? F1.

For those that don't watch Indycar I highly recommend it. Great variety of old-style circuits without miles of paved runoff. Far fewer gimmicks than modern F1 - they do have a push-to-pass but it's a fixed amount for the race, and it can be used for attack and defense, so it's fair for everyone. And while I can't speak from experience, by all accounts the race weekends are way better to attend in person than F1.

It's true that a few of the drivers are only there because they bring a sponsor or their dad owns the team, but that's everywhere in motorsport. Maybe their chances of getting a fluke win are little higher due to more frequent safety cars. For the most part the top teams and drivers are very professional though - the only time this wasn't really the case was the IRL/CART split from 1996-2008.
Super Formula Qualifying was brilliant! The two Nakajima cars coincidentally going off at the same time on the same corner, Naoki Yamamoto is excellent, shame about his age as I reckon he would do bits in F1

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%