IndyCar: Grand Prix of Portland Discussion Thread

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
IndyCar Portland Discussion Thread.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2019 NTT IndyCar Grand Prix of Portland at Portland International Raceway.

IndyCar continues to produce a classic season in 2019, and as the category heads into the final two events of the current campaign, plenty is left to play for in the chase for the 2019 drivers championship.

Last time out at Gateway we had a surprise victory for veteran Takuma Sato and his RLL Honda team, but the attention remains of leader Josef Newgarden and his rivals Simon Pagenaud and Alex Rossi as the battle hots up at the head of the field.

Another great race awaits..

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Voting with my heart, not my head: Rossi.

Off to Laguna Seca in 3 weeks...holding on to the fantasy we'll see Rossi win his first title live and in person.

With double points, it's really not far fetched to think he (or a few other guys) could pull it off (despite media seeming to act like Newgarden has the title in a stranglehold).

Ironically, having said that, not a fan of double points - makes it too prone to fluke.

For Assetto Corsa, SimTraxx has a version of Portland track, but it hasnt changed for quite a while. I am a member of SimTraxx just for testing and the Portland track is not bad (Note: track is not setup completely for online cause the Pitting feature does not work, so you wont know which pit stall to go to or be able to get car serviced). Also all SimTraxx circuit type tracks are the same way for pitting.. I dont know how much more needs to be done graphic wise for Portland cause I am not part of the track building for that group..

The proper version of Portland for AC is here and we're nearly 100% done. 33 pits. PIR doesn't have working lights around the back half of the track and through T10-11-12, but it does now ;)
simtraxx version is nothing like this.
Only thing left is 3D grass. Blimps, Balloons, Planes, banner work, video boards, 3d spectators, many replay cameras and more done. Just needs the 3d grass.:sneaky:

I've driven thousands of laps at PIR in various race cars IRL, this version is spot on. Even with bumps or not in the right places. Soon!
Screenshot-ks-porsche-911-rsr-2018-aa-portland-rf2-11-8-119-15-2.jpg
Screenshot-lexus-lc500-gt500-aa-portland-rf2-30-8-119-9-36-3.jpg
Screenshot-ks-porsche-911-rsr-2018-aa-portland-rf2-11-8-119-15-8.jpg

Last edited:
The proper version of Portland for AC is here and we're nearly 100% done. 33 pits. PIR doesn't have working lights around the back half of the track and through T10-11-12, but it does now ;)
simtraxx version is nothing like this.
Only thing left is 3D grass. Blimps, Balloons, Planes, banner work, video boards, 3d spectators, many replay cameras and more done. Just needs the 3d grass.:sneaky:

I've driven thousands of laps at PIR in various race cars IRL, this version is spot on. Even with bumps or not in the right places. Soon!
Screenshot-ks-porsche-911-rsr-2018-aa-portland-rf2-11-8-119-15-2.jpg
Screenshot-lexus-lc500-gt500-aa-portland-rf2-30-8-119-9-36-3.jpg
Screenshot-ks-porsche-911-rsr-2018-aa-portland-rf2-11-8-119-15-8.jpg
I see demon mirrored trees... Who's making or converting this? Is it built on the public lidar data?

And I hope that's not my blimp from Watkins I see. Nobody asked me to use it.

I'll be there for my first ever live race after a year of intensive sim racing. Could not be more excited.

One of the best places to watch is in that dusk shot above. Thats at the top of the hill, far left. You can put up an E-Z Up by the wall, you can see coming out of T8, backstretch, T9-10-11-12 and halfway down the main straight.
edit:
I see demon mirrored trees... Who's making or converting this? Is it built on the public lidar data?

And I hope that's not my blimp from Watkins I see. Nobody asked me to use it.
I'll PM ya to not further clog the thread.

Last edited:
Ahh... Portland, my favorite Indy car track. :inlove:
And not indy only. :x3:
I was wondering how come one indy car topic is this popular (already 11 replies) and now I see why.
Most people talking about this track - in games.
What a lovely theme, really, but c'mon guys...

CreamCornCob - Cool - look forward to seeing/Driving your track. Nice you are doing night lighting for it. Will it be posted on Race Dept? take care.
I agree with someone else's comments I read, I have no idea when SimTraxx is going to finish their Portland track, it has been this way for quite a while.

I just picked up the SimTraxx version, only time for a dozen laps before heading down tonight to Portland for the race weekend. Great to get a quick look at it from a cockpit, but the AI was ridiculous.

As much as i like it to see that someone is working on a proper
version of Portland for AC (nice surprise Creamy:thumbsup:), i have to
agree with gamer19 that it's off topic and clogs the thread.

Portland is also one of my favorite tracks and it often produces
a good show. Always loved the CART/Champcar races there. Especially
remembered is, of course, that 3 cars drag race (on the drag strip:))
to the finish line i think in 1999 when Mark Blundell has won the race.

And of course i'll never forget last year, man that was a race. It reminded
me of the old CART races there, in front of packed grandstands, full
of racing action, a couple of yellows and a surprising winner.
It looked a little bit like Sonoma there last year, grass was yellow-brownish
because of the drought and it was dusty, VERY dusty. Multiple car crash
after 1st chicane, a huge dust cloud prevents the view, you can hear one
engine is still running, dust storm settles, several stranded cars including
Marco upside down but one man survived somehow. Scott Dixon emerging
from the dust cloud like an action hero of a Hollywood blockbuster was for me
the (positive:() moment of last season in Indycar.

Have voted for Felix Rosenqvist, expect Chip Ganassi pretty strong this
weekend because Portland shares some similarities with Mid-Ohio in my
opinion. Only lacks its elevation changes. I can smell Felix's first win in
Indycar this weekend, but the good thing about Indycar is its unpredictability,
there are easily 8-10 different drivers who can win. We will see.

• Deleted member 205301

...Interesting to see how an Indycar race week thread turns into a AC discuss.....(I hope Simon will do something great here, but voted for Dixon as He's so impressive this year, that's really the "Alonso" of Indycar...)
Boyz, plz, here is for IRL, go ahead with your game, I'm really feed up with AC Fanboyz...
@++

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing