IndyCar: COTA Discussion Thread

I assume this is really pure and simple jingoistic bias, as I really can't give you any objective reasons why I hold such an opinion, but I love this track. I especially love that climb up to T1, even if the corner itself is much too wide (IMO).

Watching the IndyCars go around this track was a real treat, great to see Indy here. Yeah, they are noticeably a step slower than the F1 cars (more obvious in some places than others) but they are still really flying and you can really see how hard the drivers are working to put in a good lap. Some really great racing in IndyCar - quite a large chunk of drivers who have been in the series for a long time, these guys really know each others' skills and limitations and race hard.

I assume this is really pure and simple jingoistic bias, as I really can't give you any objective reasons why I hold such an opinion, but I love this track. I especially love that climb up to T1, even if the corner itself is much too wide (IMO).

It is a good track, it looks challenging for drivers too.

Does anyone know why IndyCar decided against allowing power steering in the first place?

If the power steering unit were to be a spec unit installed in a prescribed spot with a prescribed amount of fluids (assuming that it was either hydraulic or electro-hydraulic for the most communicative feel), it wouldn't be a performance differentiator per se, would it?

As for today's race, it was the first time I've watched an IndyCar road race. I loved the sound, the braking duels and how slowly and carefully they had to finagle the cars around the corners compared to F1's ultra short braking distances and super high cornering speeds. Lots of close racing and lots of car movement on display. Heck, even the mechanics doing the wheel changes looked amazing and like true athletes -- much more interesting and fun to watch than the snoozefest F1 has become (F1's exciting technology notwithstanding).

Didn't love the commercials though. Is this what watching sports on US TV is like? The race almost felt more like an ad-delivery vehicle than a race in its own right ... :cry:

I'm fortunate enough to have a DVR as part of my cable t.v. package. What I usually do is set the recording and then wait about an hour before watching the race. That way I can fast forward through all of the horrible commercials. Sadly, you're right. Watching anything on t.v. in the U.S. is unbearable, at least for me. That's why I use my DVR.:)

I'm fortunate enough to have a DVR as part of my cable t.v. package. What I usually do is set the recording and then wait about an hour before watching the race. That way I can fast forward through all of the horrible commercials. Sadly, you're right. Watching anything on t.v. in the U.S. is unbearable, at least for me. That's why I use my DVR.:)

In the UK Sky Sports are using the USA feed and when the ads are being played, the feed remains with the sound of the cars. Which is quite nice, but the graphics are removed.

I couldn't watch it with the adverts, that must hurt the viewing figures?

In the UK Sky Sports are using the USA feed and when the ads are being played, the feed remains with the sound of the cars. Which is quite nice, but the graphics are removed.

I couldn't watch it with the adverts, that must hurt the viewing figures?

For better or worse, I think in the US, we're all pretty well desensitized to a damn near 1:1 ratio between ads and content. It's pretty obnoxious when it comes to things of a continuous nature (racing being a prime example), but even worse when they've baked it right into the game itself - like "media timeouts" in college basketball. Try watching an NCAA tournament game live, I dare you! :D

I also enjoyed the race; IndyCar has a similar tire/fuel 'formula' as NASCAR in that there is a degree of luck to when the last caution happens, and who has enough fuel and grip to make it to the end without a pit stop. It results in Rookie wins like Herta's, which is exciting to watch unfold.

Also amazing to see how much more difficult the IndyCar's are to drive than most cars in F1.

how much slower the IndyCars are going down the back straight compared to F1. They were 20 MPH down. I really hope they bring in the 900 hp engines I keep hearing about soon.

They were driving a high downforce trim for COTA... but 900 ponies around an oval with low down force is freakin scary! Wickens wasn't even a year ago...

And you're being serious? It's completely relevant. This site is just painful to read, comment, anything. Just ragers carrying on, arguments, stupid hate-filled comments, on and on. Who can bear it anymore?
Maybe you need to take a break then, if that's what you think. With the amount of people we get here I think we are pretty civilised and could direct you to other sites where you will find you opinions justified.
The forums are for discussion so there's bound to be some disagreement, and if you can't bear it then you are not forced to visit.

What a way to spoil a thread for what it was a fantastic race full of action. Great work by the rookies, Herta and Pato, did very well.

COTA is a very technical track with interesting racing lines for both fast laps and pass opportunities. It is great both F1 and IndyCar can run there.

(...) I was gutted when Rossi's strategy got screwed by that late caution. Another very talented driver IMO. Rumors say he will be at Penske next year. He's already done very well with Andretti Racing, so watch out when he goes to Penske. They are the team to beat in IndyCar (like Mercedes in F1).

What is it that makes Roger Penske's team so good? Funding and extreme/obsessive attention to detail...?

Last edited:
Maybe you need to take a break then, if that's what you think. With the amount of people we get here I think we are pretty civilised and could direct you to other sites where you will find you opinions justified.
The forums are for discussion so there's bound to be some disagreement, and if you can't bear it then you are not forced to visit.
Sounds good to me. I don't see the benefit in visiting. Please delete my account.

What is it that makes Roger Penske's team so good? Funding and extreme/obsessive attention to detail...?

All of the above I imagine. For as long as I can remember, Penske has been at or near the front in IndyCar. It's surprising since it is basically a spec series, but Penske seems to have the secret to extracting the most out of the car, and they also attract the best drivers, which is where the money comes in. They probably get top dollar for their sponsorships because of their consistently winning record.

I think that's exactly it. I was listening to a podcast a while back with a guy from Penske and he said they spend just as much money now on a "spec series" as they did when they were building cars from scratch. The big difference "back then" was they had huge cash flow coming in from manufacturers. Now, they are getting the same kit as everyone else, they just have the cash (and desire to spend it) to instrument and tune the hell out of their build. On top of that, they attract/hire very good drivers. This equation all results in Penske being able to consistently find those extra couple tenths over the teams that are just happy to have a functioning car and/or drivers that aren't quite up to snuff.

I also enjoyed the race; IndyCar has a similar tire/fuel 'formula' as NASCAR in that there is a degree of luck to when the last caution happens, and who has enough fuel and grip to make it to the end without a pit stop. It results in Rookie wins like Herta's, which is exciting to watch unfold.

Also amazing to see how much more difficult the IndyCar's are to drive than most cars in F1.

They were driving a high downforce trim for COTA... but 900 ponies around an oval with low down force is freakin scary! Wickens wasn't even a year ago...

NOT trying to restart the F1/Indy pissing match (I enjoy both for different reasons and respect anyone's right to prefer one over the other), but the IndyCar does seem to be trickier to drive in some regards based on my observation. A lot more "sawing" with the wheel it seems. Of course, it may just be the case the F1 guys know their cars won't tolerate that kind of manhandling vs the Indy guys knowing their cars will and, if they don't push to that point, they won't compete.

Not a big fan of COTA before this race but that was a fun one. Not enforcing the track limits made for some interesting lines to say the least. :p This season is shaping up to be rather excellent. Only wish Mr. Wickens could be driving one of those Peterson cars :(

NOT trying to restart the F1/Indy pissing match (I enjoy both for different reasons and respect anyone's right to prefer one over the other), but the IndyCar does seem to be trickier to drive in some regards based on my observation. A lot more "sawing" with the wheel it seems. Of course, it may just be the case the F1 guys know their cars won't tolerate that kind of manhandling vs the Indy guys knowing their cars will and, if they don't push to that point, they won't compete.

Got the same impression. I'm assuming not having power steering makes your throw those things around a bit more as well.

Why not just ignore this troll creamy-whatever. This guy loves to destroy
discussions about IndyCars more than obviously.
Man, this teen Colton Herta seems to be the real deal. Sure Power and
Rossi had both bad luck but little Herta was blazingly fast during the
whole race and was the only one who was able to keep pace with these two.
Youngest ever IndyCars race winner, in a Harding Steinbrenner Racing car
with, OK, Andretti support but still very impressive.
Was a bit surprised that Newgarden and Dixon never had the speed to
compete for the win but at least Newgarden, with a bit of luck, can be very
satisfied to finish on podium again, he is a HOT contender for the
championship this season for sure.
Also noteworthy: the exceptional performance of Pato O'Ward, another
BAD race of PENSKE driver Simon Pagenaud, a Graham Rahal who once
again somehow sneaked through to a top 5 finish and a strange race of
Felix Rosenqvist who was super fast in Qualification but race pace was
not good enough for whatever reason (i suspect tire management) so he
battled in the midfield all the time until he was kicked out by Hinchcliffe.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back