IndyCar: 2019 Grand Prix of Alabama Discussion Thread

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Indycar Barber Motorsports Park Discussion Thread.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the third round of the 2019 NTT IndyCar Series from the Grand Prix of Alabama.

IndyCar 2019 style is turning out to be a rather impressive display of what high speed, high downforce open wheel racing can be all about - thrills, spills, rookie winners, passing and action throughout the field.

Having seen the opening two rounds of the new series display moments of high drama, the field head to the impressive facility that is the Barber Motorsports Park race track in Birmingham, Alabama. Running to just over 2 miles in length and packing in no less than 16 corners, Barber Motorsports Park often produces exciting and close racing action whenever the IndyCar Series makes their yearly pilgrimage to the venue.

After an exciting opening couple of rounds, expect this weekends event to be another classic example of why IndyCar just seems to have it oh so right this year.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Can't watch live due to Indycar's BS Canadian TV deal, but I'm excited for this round. Love the circuit, and last year's season was spectacular and this season is shaping up to be great as well.

Both St Pete and COTA races were really good and hopefully Barber continues on the same track. It usually offers good races and sky can also throw some water in the mix.

If F1 keeps offering us races like Bahrain and Indycar continues being the usual, that is tight racing all over the place, we will have a terrific premier open wheeler season of 2019!

St Pete is a good race but I've always thought the track too narrow. I'd like to see about 6ft wider through the streets but that might not be possible.

I love this category, especially in Barber.
Should have a game with all the cars and circuits.
I have all the mods (AMS, AC) but Indycar deserves "his" game

Good point. Remember the old Papyrus game (if you're old enough)? That was around 1993-94, when Indycar was big. Sadly, I don't think that there's a big enough fan base today to justify the cost of developping a game like that.

I'd buy it instantly if there was one. (Even if, as a Canadian, I'm really mad at their new TV contract with Canada.)

Good point. Remember the old Papyrus game (if you're old enough)? That was around 1993-94, when Indycar was big. Sadly, I don't think that there's a big enough fan base today to justify the cost of developping a game like that.

I'd buy it instantly if there was one. (Even if, as a Canadian, I'm really mad at their new TV contract with Canada.)

:D

That's where I got my start in livery creation hah

Also, I sympathize, Michel. The TV is an absolute joke.

I played all the Indycar games (Papyrus games, CART Precision Racing, Andretti Racing, Indy 500, PC2, mods etc), with keyboard, joystick and steering wheel-

I remember coming back from work and drilling the keyboard so that the cars of Papyrus can double the curves

See the old videos of Papyrus give me a lot of nostalgia, I understand that now they became IRacing, I insist that there should be a total Indycar game.

:D

That's where I got my start in livery creation hah

Also, I sympathize, Michel. The TV is an absolute joke.

Listen to that soundtrack!!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Thanks for posting this. These old PC games look so primitive compared to current sims, yet there were just so damn fun! I got as much enjoyment out of Geoff Crammond's GP2 as I get from the Codemasters games (and I like these a lot, too.)

Indycar Racing II (later renamed CART Racing) was my first sim...on a Pentium 90 and SVGA 2-d graphics . Fifteen fps was optimal. It was the gateway to addiction.

The CART Extreme mod by Patrick on AMS is outstanding for fans of 90's Indy cars, and they are great fun to run on the current Indycar road course schedule.

IndyCar Racing was my first "real" sim, and was what got me hooked in the first place. Wow that was a long time ago, making me feel old! The second one was fantastic, I put a lot of hours into that one. IndyCar Racing II was based on the 1995 season, which I still think was one of Indy Car's best ever seasons.

As a recent convert to IndyCar I must say they produce some spectacular races and will be looking forward for this one. Much more fun to watch than F1 imho but that is the advantage of a spec series I suppose.

As a recent convert to IndyCar I must say they produce some spectacular races and will be looking forward for this one. Much more fun to watch than F1 imho but that is the advantage of a spec series I suppose.

It's more down to the cars being able to race close to one another because air coming off the car in front isn't affected by dirty air nearly as much as F1 cars are.

Had some time to run VRC NA 2019 on VRC's Barber today. Then watched qualifying on TV. Must say...fun mod and track...with lap times quite close to real world.

367801453.jpg

This was something amazing in my early days of PC gaming :thumbsup:

Ah, good ol' Indianapolis 500. That was probably my first racing sim at home. I'll never forget having to look through the game's manual for certain keywords every time you launched it as their form of copy protection.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 268 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 40.1%