IndyCar | 104th Indy 500 Delayed to August

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
IndyCar have confirmed the 104th running of the famous Indy 500 has been postponed until August, the first time the event has run outside of its traditional May slot during peacetime years.

With the Coronavirus pandemic showing little sign of abating in the coming weeks, IndyCar have taken the decision to postpone the blue ribbon American event by at least three months, despite previous confidence the 500 mile race would be able to proceed as planned.

As sporting events across the world continue to be either postponed or axed altogether, it comes as little surprise that America's biggest open wheel race would fall foul of the world health situation, however the the NTT IndyCar series remain committed to hosting 'the greatest spectacle in racing' this year.

“The Month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is my favorite time of year, and like our fans, I am disappointed that we have had to reschedule the Indianapolis 500,” Roger Penske said. “However, the health and safety of our event participants and spectators is our top priority, and we believe that postponing the event is the responsible decision with the conditions and restrictions we are facing. We will continue to focus on ways we can enhance the customer experience in the months ahead, and I’m confident we will welcome fans with a transformed facility and a global spectacle when we run the world’s greatest race.”
Originally scheduled to begin on Sunday May 24th, the new date for the big race has been moved back to an August 23rd time slot, depending on health and safety matters relating to the COVID-19 outbreak.

In other IndyCar news, it has been confirmed that the preceding GMR Grand Prix will move dates to Saturday, July 4 on the IMS road course - however that date does feel slightly optimistic given the state of current world affairs.

At present, May 30th remains the provisional date for the NTT IndyCar Series opening round - a double header race at the Detroit street circuit.

Original Source: IndyCar

Got questions or comments about the sport? Post a thread in the Motorsport sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with your fellow community members!

IndyCar Change of Date.jpg

@tls
There is a link in the iRacing thread about:
Indycar has confirmed a 25 driver Indycar series with iracing.
And it looks like more or less all RL Indy drivers(?) are using this possibility. :thumbsup:
A bit strange most of the RL F1 drivers are more blaze.
Hehe but young Max are using this possibility to get more seat time :laugh:

It does, just don't use the fish tank cleaning with phosphate variety.
Supposedly maybe works, according to two very small studies that have not been peer-reviewed. The jury is still out on which medications really make any difference. Many more trials are underway now and the WHO is trying to coordinate global efforts to test "chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine; Kaletra alone; a cocktail of Kaletra plus interferon-beta; and Gilead Sciences’ remdesivir". To get confident results they need lots of data, and that takes more time. If/when they find some good results we can start to be more hopeful about returning towards normal... and seeing some racing again!

This saturday there is iRacing Indycar race. With 25 real drivers.
The race will be live broadcasted with pro commentators on the official Indycar website.
Names like, Josef Newgarden, Will Power, Scott McLaughlin, Simon Pagenaud, Alexander Rossi, Colton Herta, Zach Veach, James Hinchcliffe, Kyle Kirkwood, Oliver Askew and Pato O'Ward.
But thats probably not worthy of mentioning here.

@tls
There is a link in the iRacing thread about:
Indycar has confirmed a 25 driver Indycar series with iracing.
And it looks like more or less all RL Indy drivers(?) are using this possibility. :thumbsup:
A bit strange most of the RL F1 drivers are more blaze.
Hehe but young Max are using this possibility to get more seat time :laugh:

The race will be live broadcasted with pro commentators on the official Indycar website.
Names like, Josef Newgarden, Will Power, Scott McLaughlin, Simon Pagenaud, Alexander Rossi, Colton Herta, Zach Veach, James Hinchcliffe, Kyle Kirkwood, Oliver Askew and Pato O'Ward.
As it's not a club race.

This saturday there is iRacing Indycar race. With 25 real drivers.
I'm really excited about this part: Robert Wickens may join if he can get some sim hardware in time!

Tried to watch..."E-sports" as it is called but it is nowhere close to the real deal.
Yeah I commented on this in another thread.
E-sports racing has only the word "racing" in common with RL racing.
Eventhough virtual racing is funny and immersing to participate in then its quite boring(IMO) to watch.
The only exception is if you in the virtual version does know one or more of the drivers closely.
And by "closely" I mean more close than just having seen them on TV.
Thats the reason I watched a virtual race with Nicki Thiim - but completely lost interrest when he was wrecked out.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: The Nicki Thiim example is good(IMO) because I feel I know him after watching some of his very personal and hillarious entertaining videos.:roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite, I've asked both Paul and Bram but there's been radio silence on the matter. I don't personally understand why they would not want to post news about some of the amazing real life drivers partaking in Sim Racing events, especially when RD thrives off those very same Sims.

I mean 170k people viewed the F1 Bahrain race last weekend, if just a 100 of those found RD and 10 of them signed up to Premium to help pay the RD way then surely that's a good thing right?!

At least the website below is doing the right thing in helping bring all us sim racers together, to find those races with real drivers we all care so much about and all miss during this Lockdown of sport:
My guess is because all the action currently happening with iracing....isint involving ACC or rd simracing.gp platform. ;)

I am sure we will see news shortly about the SRO E-Sport series charity challenge tho

Last edited:
Yeah I commented on this in another thread.
E-sports racing has only the word "racing" in common with RL racing.
Eventhough virtual racing is funny and immersing to participate in then its quite boring(IMO) to watch.
The only exception is if you in the virtual version does know one or more of the drivers closely.
And by "closely" I mean more close than just having seen them on TV.
Thats the reason I watched a virtual race with Nicki Thiim - but completely lost interrest when he was wrecked out.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: The Nicki Thiim example is good(IMO) because I feel I know him after watching some of his very personal and hillarious entertaining videos.:roflmao:

Don't watch anymore then and leave us that are having a jolly nice time watching Jimmeh Van Wanglebork* mixing it with the big boys.

* Pride of Somalia

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years