Indy 500

Jezus what an incredible bull**** on PSR TV now. Commentators need to realize that not everybody is from the USA jeeeeez. Hailing fallen soldiers and telling how the US is the greatest country in the world.j

What an arrogance

i have not seen the broadcast as of yet but what you say should not have happened. racers are from around the globe an there shouldnt be talk like that. my race was horrid. i was taken out in the freaking pace lap by 3 guys that piled up right in fron of me. had me trapped against the wall i had nowhere to go. damaged my car an after i was towed to pit i was turning laps 3 seconds slower than i should. stayed clean an out of everyones way an actually climbed to 11th position. when coming outta turn 4 someone plowed right in my left rear an damaged my car so as the pit crew could not fix it. it was undriveable so i had to retire. i actually got an increase in my rating and championship points as wrecks were not my fault an finished 19th. this is not bad as after all i said happened i retired after only 50 laps, lol. folks could not understand 200 laps is a long race an its not decided in the 1st lap.

I watched the broadcast and they spent 30 seconds mentioning Memorial Day which honors fallen soldiers. After they mentioned it they said also that iRacing was global and many other nations had fallen soldiers too.

I don't get the anger. iRacing is based in the US. If iRacing was based in England or France or Finland and they spent 30 seconds mentioning that countries holiday, I could care less.

I don't get the anger.

Now onto the race itself. Only 24 laps of cautions out of 200, but it doesn't take much to eliminate a car at Indy, so most drivers had to retire. Incredible finish by the top 2 drivers. I think the margin of victory was .007 or something like that. Basically a car length after 500 miles.

Here is the archive link for PSRTV replays if you missed it. The Road Atlanta DWC race with Greger Huttu, Richard Towler, Luke McLean, Ben Cornett, Illka Haapala etc, was well done too. It's listed incorrectly as Road America when it should be Road Atlanta. 5-29 race.

EDIT: Opps forgot the race replay archive link. http://www.psrtv.com/archive/index.php

Here is grid for the iRacing 500 and the real Indy 500.

Indy500Qualy2010Sat8am.jpg

Memorial Day has nothing to do with iRacing, so why mention that patriotic non-sense in a racing broadcast in the first place. I am not anti-America normally but this really landed wrong.

There is a difference between mentioning a (local) holiday or talking about your great great great great great army and all those that died for this "greatest country in the universe" and are now above looking upon us non-sense :)

We all know that Liechtenstein is the greatest country in the world! :thumb:

Memorial Day has nothing to do with iRacing, so why mention that patriotic non-sense in a racing broadcast in the first place. I am not anti-America normally but this really landed wrong.

There is a difference between mentioning a (local) holiday or talking about your great great great great great army and all those that died for this "greatest country in the universe" and are now above looking upon us non-sense :)

We all know that Liechtenstein is the greatest country in the world! :thumb:

Bram, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The Indy 500 for been always been held on Memorial Day in my lifetime, so it's a US race attached to that US holiday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_500

Again, if iRacing was a Finish company broadcasting a race linked to a Finish holiday, I'd want it mentioned.

I watch tons of sporting events and broadcasting teams almost always try to give some flavor for the event and show the local community or what the little town of Val d'Isère is famous for etc. Think about every Olympics. We hear about the local commuity all month long. I learned about Totem poles at this year's Winter Olympics. I'm fine with it.

It's history, it's atmosphere it adds to broadcasts, IMO. I just don't get the anger, but that's ok. Your feelings are your own and you're entitled to get angry. I wouldn't and never even thought to get angry watching a sporting event from any country when they mentioned something about that country. Oh well, carry on.

Jezus what an incredible bull**** on PSR TV now. Commentators need to realize that not everybody is from the USA jeeeeez. Hailing fallen soldiers and telling how the US is the greatest country in the world.j

What an arrogance

I'm sorry Bram but I disagree with your comment. The running of the Indy 500 coincides with the US memorial day and the Indy 500 is the biggest race in US motor sport so its going to have a large American audience as the sim racing version would so to not mention it - even as a non US resident would seem odd. I don't think their comments were over the top and I'm pleased they took the time to recognize the sacrifice made by their troops. As a regular viewer of NASCAR they also make an effort to include their forces at every race and even as a non US viewer it doesn't bother me, in fact I wish the UK was more supportive of their forces. As I said I would have thought it more strange if they hadn't mentioned it in the sim racing broadcast.

Bram's entitled to his comments (I don't have the same anger and don't really mind the comments either). When I heard it live I thought 'cheesy' but as mentioned by others - I am used to hearing that kind of commentary on other US sports broadcasts. And - to be fair, I recall there was a media fueled mini-outrage in the UK, one year, when a BBC presenter failed to wear a poppy (in commeration of Armistice Day) on a pre-recorded programme that aired the week of November 11th ;): someone forgot to remind him of the date the programme would air. Didn't go down well :).

50% off topic but anyway

tried this combo only in practice and must say that my adrenaline jumped through the roof, very immersive!
picked up promo code Indy lately and I must admit (sorry Simbin) that I have been playing/driving only iRacing since then
after two weeks managed to A license and went to practice Indy @ Road America, just could not stop myself from chasing another 0.1 sec

just hoping Simbin will soon learn something from their American collegues, expensive yeah, for sure, but worth every cent and there are plenty of poeple willing to jump on it, check this thread on NG to see how subscription looks like last few months http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201171

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 380 39.7%