Indy 500 Qualification: Alonso Reaches 'Fast 9', Bourdais Injured

So, why havent the americans made those walls of a softer material by now?

If you have a look at the corners of the oval circuits in the US you'll see there are two "walls" the original outside wall and then a separate tubular wall about a few feet apart. Between this is a very dense foam, so in the event of a car hitting the wall, it will move to try and dissipate the energy. It's a very simple idea but it works very well. The damaged pieces of foam can then be removed and replaced as needed.

SaferBarrierEDU.png.main.png

Not so much in Indycar but certainly in NASCAR it's saved a lot of people from bad injuries (simply because of the weight of the car, inertia, etc.) They use SAFER barriers on the inside walls as well. I can't remember which race it was but someone went into one inside wall at about 160-180mph. The accident was so violent if that had still been a concrete wall still he would have been badly beaten up, as it was he managed to climb out the car unaided.

Why not make them softer? Well you then have the issue of bouncing. At the moment the SAFER wall contains the accident, if you made it softer or rubbery the car will either bounce away or into oncoming traffic.

Make no mistake oval racing is still very dangerous but with SAFER barriers and HANS it's a lot safer than it was a few years ago.

I wonder though if with Bourdais's accident they might try and extend the side pods forward or maybe add on an additional crash structure, we'll see.

Have to say, I've had the stream on for 15 minutes now and haven't seen a car yet. Only adverts, but with a commentary voice over so I can't hear them. This is a big reason a lot of people don't watch IndyCar and NASCAR now - the coverage is all over the place and advert filled.

Yeah I know I watched it the other night, I don't mind the adverts so much it just become a bit much when it's the same six every time! lol

Bourdais injured... definitely understated. More like career ends after near death crash at Indy. From the video he just managed (assuming his skill made the difference) to keep from going straight into the barrier. At the rate and the runoff Indy is one of the most dangerous races left... other than IOM I cant think of another.

Best wishes to him and get well soon.

I think what happened was what experienced oval racers usually says.
Once you lost the back end, you either turn hard to make it really spin, or leave it be. Dont try to correct it. It will kill you, or hurt you pretty bad.
Drivers with formation and back ground on road corse races are conditioned to counter steer, correct the back end. They do this for their whole life.
So suddenly you´re in a situation, having miliseconds, to decide NOT to correct...its not easy. Is counter intuitive.

Bourdais went to try save the slide...which sended him almost head on into the wall.

Have to say, I've had the stream on for 15 minutes now and haven't seen a car yet. Only adverts, but with a commentary voice over so I can't hear them. This is a big reason a lot of people don't watch IndyCar and NASCAR now - the coverage is all over the place and advert filled.
I just get an andless "loading" circle

I can't remember which race it was but someone went into one inside wall at about 160-180mph. The accident was so violent if that had still been a concrete wall still he would have been badly beaten up, as it was he managed to climb out the car unaided.

This is not the crash you are thinking of, but it remains, for me, the best way to showcase how the wall works, and. McClure got a concussion and "internal bruises". Which is no surprise really. He sat out 4 or 5 races due to the concussion, before returning. So, that means 5-6 weeks. That's not bad after a crash this hard.

Just relieved that Bourdais escaped alive, that was one nasty crash, could've ended so much worse. Hope he'll be able to return to racing, he was going so strong this season, felt he had a realistic shot at both the 500 and the title.

That's just the state of television in the United States in general. We have a very dated subscription model. Pay a hundred dollars a month for cable, then go to watch cable and have to sit through 9 minutes of ads for every 21 minutes of content. Sucks ass. But that's what happens when you have television networks haggling with service providers. The service providers take too much money from the customer and the networks don't get enough money from the service provider.

Would love to see the entire telecom industry collapse tbh. Be nice to eliminate the middle man as much as possible, especially when the middle man lobbies in Washington for policies to make even more money.

That's just the state of television in the United States in general. We have a very dated subscription model. Pay a hundred dollars a month for cable, then go to watch cable and have to sit through 9 minutes of ads for every 21 minutes of content. Sucks ass. But that's what happens when you have television networks haggling with service providers. The service providers take too much money from the customer and the networks don't get enough money from the service provider.

Would love to see the entire telecom industry collapse tbh. Be nice to eliminate the middle man as much as possible, especially when the middle man lobbies in Washington for policies to make even more money.

As much as I complain about American coverage and hate it so much, I always feel bad for those have no choice.

Not just a nice results but excellent. To be honest I didn't expected him to be at the front end of the grid. Reaching the fast 9 was already a nice achievement but 5th on the grid is even better. I expected him to not have the pace here, but he has and he will be playing with the big boys next week.:sneaky:

I wonder though if with Bourdais's accident they might try and extend the side pods forward or maybe add on an additional crash structure, we'll see.
Considering his injuries were mainly on seatbelt support regions, I guess the rest of the equipment did its job. Obviously removing the seatbelts isn't an option, although it is very hard challenge to find a solution for the potential injuries it can cause.

Yea, I'd wager given the nature of Bourdais' injuries, the injuries were caused by the seat belts themselves. There is a reason why they have belts down around there - keeps from submarining the seat belts and sliding out the bottom.

Really sucks though, as Bourdais was running really well this season, and the idea of a Coyne car being competitive in the 500 is glorious.

Good result for Alonso, not unexpected given the car and team he's walking into though better than expected overall. The race is the real challenge.

Well done Fernando. Dixon, and Rossi look good too.

Bourdais is lucky. I feared something like that. It always seems to happen every other year or so. Very sad. I have been watching for 25 years and have not seen an impact like that is quite some time, if ever. It probably rivals Kenny Breck's 165g crash on another oval. At least. Ugh. Only ovals can do that. For reference, Fernando's Melbourne crash was about 42g's.

Well done Fernando. Dixon, and Rossi look good too.

Bourdais is lucky. I feared something like that. It always seems to happen every other year or so. Very sad. I have been watching for 25 years and have not seen an impact like that is quite some time, if ever. It probably rivals Kenny Breck's 165g crash on another oval. At least. Ugh. Only ovals can do that. For reference, Fernando's Melbourne crash was about 42g's.

I read this morning that Seb's impact was 118g. He'll be back next year though, no doubt.

Couple pics I got of Alonso yesterday after his pole run.

img_5674-jpg.648415

img_5683-jpg.648416

Reactions: Rob
It probably rivals Kenny Breck's 165g crash on another oval. At least. Ugh. Only ovals can do that. For reference, Fernando's Melbourne crash was about 42g's.
Just to be pedantic, Bräcks crash measured 214g (at Texas), the highest ever officially recorded in motorsport :)

Haha Alonso is never going to return to F1 again when he actually wins Indy500 :)
It's all over his body language, sort of like a chemistry set doctor being giddy after saving a life.
Unfortunately for IndyCar, he will head straight to Le Mans, where men also still race...to take his shot at immortality.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back