Indy 500: McLaren Reveal Mistakes That Led to Failing to Qualify

"I don’t want the world to think McLaren is a bunch of idiots"
Yeah, well, if that isn't the textbook definition of "idiots" I don't know what is.

McLaren deserves this of course. What I don't get is how on earth you don't put your car on track because it has a wrong shade of "papaya orange". They would have really laughed about this in the 70s and 80s.

A completely different era where McLaren 'customer' cars were doing the winning and development.

Customer no, different era, yes - but "different era" could easily be used to ignore literally everything about history. In their records are lessons from building for & running the Indy 500 multiple times, they have vast experience building single-seat racecars, and again if they wanted recent experience they can just hire people who've done it recently, they're not a tiny team with a shoestring budget.

All this is making their performance *worse*, certainly not excusing anything.

The unfortunate failure not making the 500 for McLaren and Fernando Alonso may be a good thing, and not in a mean or a disrespectful aspect. In a selfish way, It was not that long ago I felt indifferent to the US open wheel racing and the 500 after the split between CART and the IRL. The competition during that era was sometimes less than, well competitive.
For me this tells me open wheel in the US is back and relevant, and it may have been back for a while but this really made me sit up and take notice.
McLaren and Alonso will be back and I will be routing for them.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 361 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%