Indy 500 | Honda Scupper Alonso / Andretti Indy Chances

Honda really isn't thinking this thru very well. Alonso is a driver that CAN win at Indy, yet Honda still is harping on comments he made years ago. Honda can have a win/win situation here If they want it.
First finally forgive Alonso for what he said, especially since he was pretty much spot on, and he did give them a chance to fix things.
If he does secure a Honda powered car and he wins, thats makes Honda look like a winner all the way around. Honda goes in the record books as well, and with a former Honda driver. I don't think you can beat that.

Awesome.

Big mouth strikes again but now it blows up in his face. Honda did have much trouble with their engines back then but ridiculing them is the most stupid thing you could do. They kept their mouths shut and continued working to improve which they did. I completely agree with their decision and read this all with a big smile. The only thing bigger than Honda's engine troubles back then was Fernando's ego. Time to eat the sour grapes...

You know what I'll say to these Alonso fans - cry me a river

You serious need a dose of reality, you think Honda was going to let them off like McLaren had done (because the latter was desparate for a podium place)

Remember Alain Prost's infamous truck comment before the 1991 Australian GP?

And do this at any workplace and if you want to come back because things didn't work out with your new employer or you want a reference, that employer would've told you to f-off.

You mean the same Prost that went out of Renault after insulting everybody there together with the french press, and then 10 years later was forgiven, and waltzed to a title and to a brand embassador role in retirement?

Renault was really dumb for forgiving Prost, weren't they...

I don't get people defending Honda here, because...

1. The engine was utter pants, and Honda knew it.

2. Alonso is a racing driver, not a diplomat, and he was rightly well pissed off with the powerplant, or shall we just say plant as there was obviously no power there.

In fact his lack of diplomacy is one of the reasons I totally respect him as a driver. He tells it as it is,

And as for those people who say he should have shut up and helped Honda, he probably did by giving McLaren as much feedback as he possibly could to inform them where the engine was weak.

Sorry, but quite frankly when you've got something performing poorly and there is criticism publicly made by those who are using it then you'd better sit up, take notice, and do something about it. NOT throw your toys out of your pram and cut out the people complaining about it.

Honda is acting like a whiny spoilt little child with this.

And this is why drivers these days are flat and stale in public, with no passion or personality. Say the wrong thing, even if it's true, and you're screwed. Bring back the days when drivers were allowed to have opinions of their own.

True, but in the end, it's all about $$$. Today's corporation invest tons of cash in engine development, the last thing they want is a driver who trashes them in public.

That said, as much as I respect Alonso's talent, I thought he was out of line sometimes. Instead of encouraging his team, he was badmouthing them in public. You win as a team, you lose as a team. Alonso is all about himself, sadly.

In fact his lack of diplomacy is one of the reasons I totally respect him as a driver. He tells it as it is,

I respectfully disagree. You can tell it as it is without insulting the people you work with. The GP2 engine and the stunt when he sat on a folding chair were over the line, IMO. Imagine what it was like for his mechanics, who work their ass off for countless hours and a fraction of the money he was making, when they heard and saw that. There's a reason why no top F1 team will hire him, and it's not only his age...

I think we have to take onboard Japenese culture and the "shame aspect" of it all. The "GP2 Engine" moment, happened on their home turf and a track Honda themselves own.

It was a personal insult to the brand, I guess this is personal too.

I think you're dead right on that one

I respectfully disagree. You can tell it as it is without insulting the people you work with. The GP2 engine and the stunt when he sat on a folding chair were over the line, IMO. Imagine what it was like for his mechanics, who work their ass off for countless hours and a fraction of the money he was making, when they heard and saw that. There's a reason why no top F1 team will hire him, and it's not only his age...

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then.

But I'm curious - why would sitting on a folding chair be over the line? I mean, it's just sitting isn't it? And being a folding chair it probably wouldn't be all that comfortable, would it?

Grow up Honda. Your product back then was inferior. It was slow and unreliable. Many have openly criticized engine power and reliability in the past. This is a multi billion $$ business and time stands still for no one. Christian Horner for one absolutely tore Renault a new a**hole every time there was a microphone nearby. In spite of that, Renault gave him engines until he inked the Honda deal.

Why not prove your company to be the bigger man...er business and consider the positive press should he win with your engine. Just sayin'...

Yes he has been acussed from being distant to team members; however he shared the earnings after every F1 races with mechanics and staff.
No top F1 team will hire him... since 2006, when after being sanctioned against Ferrari Massa, he stated: I don´t consider F1 a sport anymore. He entered the paddock on raceday in true fashion

229865.jpg

He was right about those engines tho.
Everyone was right since during winter tests at Jerez, Alonso just completed 6 laps the very first day.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then.

But I'm curious - why would sitting on a folding chair be over the line? I mean, it's just sitting isn't it? And being a folding chair it probably wouldn't be all that comfortable, would it?

Nothing wrong with a little difference of opinion. I may be critical of Alonso's attitude, but I still rate him very highly as a driver. In fact, I think it would be neat if he won Indy. As for the folding chair, it just seemed like another one of those moments when he looked like he was sulking. I'm probably wrong, but it was my reaction at the time.

I would much rather have Montoya win Le Mans in an LMP1/Hypercar to get the triple crown than Alonso winning Indy.
As in Juan Pablo? Wow, sorry but that guy is pretty nasty as human beings go...and I never found him to be overly impressive as a driver either. That said, my opinion of him as a person would likely color my views of his driving successes. He strikes me as the kind of guy that kicks puppy dogs and slaps babies....for fun...

I could be wrong, but I'm going with my gut on that one.

Last edited:
Sorry but like Alonso, and i agree, maybe bad words from Honda not right, but when you have a 2 times f1 champion like Alonso you have to fight to get best engines, during 5 years they never get it, and after all Alonso run for them un Indy, and again Honda engine blows, so what did you expect? Not so serious to Honda, and the worst part is they believed Alonso hurts with words? They are get damaged with those engines, so maybe Honda must shut up and think about what is more offensive for them, Alonso words or their falling engines?

I bet Alonso being a Toyota driver recently has more to do with this than sour grapes from whatever he said years ago.

Yup. I've seen reports that he is under contract with Toyota until June ( Le Mans). If that's true it shouldn't be a surprise that Honda doesn't want a person contracted to their biggest rival drive for them (in addition to all the other things).

Also, I hope the outrage here also goes for Mercedes? They have said that they will not hire Alonso after what happened in 2007.

So if Fernando ends up with a Chevrolet powered ride and just maybe wins the 500 (it could happen!) how will Honda react? And is this Honda Head Office or Honda USA playing petty games.
A long shot for sure but I would love to see the outcome.
:roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%