Indy 500 | Honda Scupper Alonso / Andretti Indy Chances

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Those famous "GP2 Engine" comments have come back to haunt Fernando Alonso - with Honda pulling the rug from under the Spaniards potential Andretti Autosport Indy 500 drive.

Last week, the betting money would have been on double Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso teaming up with the crack Andretti Autosport outfit for a run at this seasons Indy 500 in America - however it appears that the top brass at Honda Japan have other ideas...

Evidently still smarting from the now infamous criticism of his Formula One Honda power, the Japanese engine builders have reportedly veto'd any chance of Fernando Alonso using their engines at the upcoming Indy 500 in May - leaving the 38-year-old Spanish racer with limited options to secure his ambition of winning the 'triple crown' at the big race this coming May.

Making a memorable debut in the big race back in 2017 - leading on more than one occasion until, ironically, his Honda engine let go, Alonso has been keen to return to Indy and attempt an ambitious bid to win the race and thus secure the unofficial 'Triple Crown' of Indy 500, Le Mans 24hrs and Monaco Grand Prix victories.

With three months left until the 2020 Indy 500, it remains to be seen if Alonso finds a competitive drive in time for what will be his third attempt to crack the most difficult open wheel race in the United States.

Original Source: IndyStar

Alonso Indy 500.jpg

Last edited:
Honda was lying McLaren, Button, Vandoorne and Alonso during 4 years about the engine workbench. I understand Alonso raging on the radio in that moment (I dont like it but I understand). But now, 3 years later, its a little bit sad that Honda still have resentment not only against McLaren, but against a driver

Personally, I think Honda is a bit out of line and has gone a bit far with the whole thing. They didn't bring their A game when supplying McLaren, they didn't fulfill their promises, their engines were crap and they know it. Alonso bit his tongue for some time before the frustration got the better of him and he called them out. I think Honda deserved to be shamed. F1 is a big money game and talk is cheap, they didn't deliver, they know it and they're still sore someone had the testicular fortitude to say so.

EDIT: I should note that, while I do like Alonso (he reminds me of some old school drivers who had balls) and that he isn't afraid to be vocal, the F1 of today is a sad and sorry thing. Too corporate, too sanitized and pretty damn boring, and that goes for most of the drivers/personalities as well. Two seconds into an interview with any of them and it's nap time for me, hell, I can almost predict what any one of them will say at any point in the conversation. But then again, my F1 heroes raced in the last century, so maybe I'm just old...and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
Honda was lying McLaren, Button, Vandoorne and Alonso during 4 years about the engine workbench. I understand Alonso raging on the radio in that moment (I dont like it but I understand). But now, 3 years later, its a little bit sad that Honda still have resentment not only against McLaren, but against a driver

I think we have to take onboard Japenese culture and the "shame aspect" of it all. The "GP2 Engine" moment, happened on their home turf and a track Honda themselves own.

It was a personal insult to the brand, I guess this is personal too.

Honda is just childish at this point. Alonso's words were also childish and not right about Honda in Mclaren-Honda partnership years but then again I agree that they were completely deserved. Honda provided one of the worst engines they could have for years and it carried to IndyCar as well, losing Alonso a winning chance in that race. Honda seems to be blaming Alonso for their own embarrassing failure as their engines barely made it out of their factory before blowing up.

True, but in 2017, he was still driving for McLaren-Honda (he skipped the Monaco GP to race at Indianapolis.)
You are absolutely right, I forgot he was still with them.

As for the motives behind this.. who knows what happened behind closed doors. Alonso is sadly unable to keep his relationships and his options alive. The relationship with Ferrari went sour, the relationship with Honda went sour, too. Success in F1 goes in cycles, big teams are so few, and a seasoned driver should know.. that you never know.

I'm a long time Alonso fan. He is one of the best F1 drivers of all time. But he and he alone in my opinion ruined what could have been a much better career. If not for his mouth and attitude behind the scenes he could be a 5 time drivers champion easy. All he had to do was shut up and take on Hamilton when he had the car to do it. The crap with Lemans is just that crap. No real competition for him to make such a big deal about it. Daytona ok I give him that one ...did great.

And now the crap with Honda. He has burned a lot of bridges as they say.

You know what I'll say to these Alonso fans - cry me a river

You serious need a dose of reality, you think Honda was going to let them off like McLaren had done (because the latter was desparate for a podium place)

Remember Alain Prost's infamous truck comment before the 1991 Australian GP?

And do this at any workplace and if you want to come back because things didn't work out with your new employer or you want a reference, that employer would've told you to f-off.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 263 13.6%